Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate "What systems are you getting?" poll (from 2006; don't get excited)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: At the end of 2007, which 'next-gen' systems do you expect to own?
Playstation 3 only.
6.15%
Xbox 360 only.
6.67%
Wii only.
17.44%
PS3 & 360
5.64%
PS3 & Wii
8.21%
Wii & 360
26.67%
PS3, 360 & Wii
17.95%
I'm not sure yet.
8.21%
None of them.
3.08%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate "What systems are you getting?" poll (from 2006; don't get excited)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
By the end of 2007, the Wii. By the end of 2008, I'll pick up the PS3. I have no interest in either XBox.
Old 05-17-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Not surprising at all. The Wii won't be for everyone. Many gamers just like FPS, Sports, Racing, GTA and it's clones etc. and they Wii thus isn't going to interest them.
Actually, I was amazed at how HIGH that number was...especially compared to the other two consoles.
Old 05-17-06, 06:29 PM

I have a 360 and was looking to get a PS3, but at $600 I will probably wait til 2010 when it reaches $250.

I won't get a Wii due to no Hi-Def and I am very leery on the Wiiremote concept.
Old 05-17-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,285 Likes on 4,298 Posts
PS3. It has the franchises I care about the most (Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet & Clank, Jak, God Of War) and the BR player will really make that freakishly high purchase price easier to handle. In addition, the interconnectivity with the PSP could really be a plus (like using the PSP as a Slingbox from your PS3 or downloading your music wirelessly to your PSP from any hot spot)-- those features could be really cool.

Of course, if the Wii is both inexpensive and a lot of fun I might get one eventually. And I have a replacement warranty from BB for my Xbox that's up in 8/07, so I'll probably upgrade to a 360 by then (assuming we ever get full backward compatibility in that system).

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-06 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 10:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The 360 will never have full backwards compatibility without a bigger hard drive, and even if it does, some of the games will still play like crap.
Old 05-17-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The 360 will never have full backwards compatibility without a bigger hard drive, and even if it does, some of the games will still play like crap.
That's not necessariliy true. Full BC requires a fully developed emulator. It's not like they are producing individual emulators for each title. Full BC is a real possibility from the technical point of view. However, Microsoft has no interest in investing the effort to make that a reality. The sole reason for including BC was so that the 360 could play Halo 2. Anything else that was playable, was just a happy accident.
Old 05-18-06, 12:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From what I heard, they had to program each individual game in. Otherwise, once the emulator was on there, you should be able to play any original Xbox game.
Old 05-18-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
From what I heard, they had to program each individual game in. Otherwise, once the emulator was on there, you should be able to play any original Xbox game.
What is "individual" is the disc check to see if the disc in the tray is one of the games officially supported as playable. That doesn't take large amounts of code. Microsoft wants to restrict gameplay to those games that they know will work. Otherwise they would get flooded with support calls for every game that has a hiccup or glitch.
Old 05-18-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WII in November - December 2006. Also, I have huges backlog PS2 games and it'll keep me for while untill PS3 drop price down little bit. I kinda interest in XBOX 360 too but i'll wait till MS full system upgrade for low price instead keep add parts to XBOX 360 and it's very expensive.

Finally, DS LITE is coming in June 11 and I'll get it on that day!
Old 05-18-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's sort of true that the emulator is not perfect, but it's not quite the same as a separate emulator for each game. For example, epsx (ps1) needs you to tweak the emulator settings for a lot of different games but it's still the same software.

An interview I read was along the lines that Halo was a bitch to get working, but achieving that basically gave them emulation for a stack of other games.
Old 05-18-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 360 and about $350 credit at GameRush....so, I may use that for a PS3 if they stay around (Gamerush that is).
Old 05-18-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Probably Wii for sure and 360 after price drop and a few games that I'm excited for.
Old 10-13-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
re: The Ultimate "What systems are you getting?" poll (from 2007; don't get excited)

Originally Posted by huh?
So according to our poll

45 PS3s will be purchased
78 360s will be purchased
95 Wiis will be purchased

This can't be an accurate depiction of the general public can it?
Interesting how this played out.

My answer in the initial poll was correct... was yours?
Old 10-13-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
re: The Ultimate "What systems are you getting?" poll (from 2007; don't get excited)

I answered 'not sure' in the poll, but my post was pretty accurate.

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I had to vote I'm not sure yet. The Wii is for sure. I'd like to get one of the other consoles, but both have prohibitive factors they're going to have to overcome for me to get one.
Got the Wii in December 2006.

If the 360 ever gets around to fixing its backwards compability, I'll pick one up for sure, as I never owned an X-box and there are quite a few games I'd like to check out. If not, it's going to have to drop to $300 and come out with some games that get me excited before I'll buy one.
Actually was able to get a 360 premium for $300 in November 2006. Ended up buying lots of backwards compatible games and then letting them gather dust while Dead Rising and Gears of War sucked me into the current generation.

PS3 priced itself right out my consideration, a shame considering there were quite a few PS2 games that I loved and I was somewhat excited for it up until the E3 conference. If the price drops to $300 - $400 in a couple years, I might be able to justify picking one up. Otherwise, I guess I'll just cherish my Shadow of Colossus, Ratchet & Clanks, and Katamaris and sit Sony out this round.
Got a 40 Gb for about $300 in May 2008.
Old 10-14-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Wii is a solid lock, always had been.

I haven't got a 360 because I was waiting on PS3 info. Now that I have that info, I'm leaning heavily towards the 360 as a 2nd system. As of right now, I feel no rush to get one because there's not a game I just must have and I don't have an HDTV for that upgrade either. There's a chance that the PS3 will come down in price AND have a couple must have games for me (DQ9, KH3) that would tip the scales back. I'm just going to have to wait it out until some exclusive games hit one of them before I make up my mind.

End of 2007? The way things look, just a Wii by then.
Well by the end of 2007 I actually had all 3 systems. I was still playing a bit of Wii then, but the 360 has overtaken my life. I still don't have a PS3 game yet. I got the PS3 as the 60gb was being phased out and with a $100 rebate from SonyStyle.com with a Sony card in Sept 2007. I got the 360 as the first HDMI Pro systems were released in Aug 2007.

DQ9 is going to the DS and DQX is Wii. KH3 is still a no-show, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it multiplatform like FFXIII.
Old 10-14-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Interesting how this played out.

My answer in the initial poll was correct... was yours?
Bored?

Anyway, voted for the Wii60 combo but I got all three at launch.

Camped out for 6 hours at Sam's in 40 degree weather. Totally worth it. Snagged Perfect Dark (turd), Call of Duty 2 (cool) & Kameo (awesome). Still own Kameo.

Wii
Camped out at Target for 13 hours in 30 degree weather. Somewhat worth it. Also grabbed Rayman(fun), Zelda (not so much) and Super Monkey Ball (turd) while I was there. I don't own any of them anymore.

PS3
Pre-ordered the last 20GB at a Gamestop about 30 minute drive away, so no waiting. I sold the PS3 to a friend though right after I bought it. He was dying for one and I was on the fence for the price so I let it go. Also knew I was already dropping $300+ on the Wii in a week. I did grab another one in August of '07. Games, umm, I bought Ratchet and loved it but sold it. I rented everything else and only own 3 retail games currently.

First time I've owned more than two current gen consoles.
Old 10-14-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

I was Wii and PS3 only at the end of '07.

Got lucky and got a Wii from Amazon at launch on the first day. Just dumb luck there.

Got the PS3 right as the 60GB's were phasing out and Best Buy was offering a free game with the 60GB.

I did own a 360 for a few months in 2006 I believe but I got rid of it before it could crap out on me (which it did for its buyer).

I got a newer model 360 in early '08. Haven't used it a ton though - PS3 gets all the action (and multi-platform games).
Old 10-14-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,285 Likes on 4,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
PS3. It has the franchises I care about the most (Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet & Clank, Jak, God Of War) and the BR player will really make that freakishly high purchase price easier to handle. In addition, the interconnectivity with the PSP could really be a plus (like using the PSP as a Slingbox from your PS3 or downloading your music wirelessly to your PSP from any hot spot)-- those features could be really cool.

Of course, if the Wii is both inexpensive and a lot of fun I might get one eventually. And I have a replacement warranty from BB for my Xbox that's up in 8/07, so I'll probably upgrade to a 360 by then (assuming we ever get full backward compatibility in that system).
Hmmm.... Well, I guess I was fooled because I ended up getting the 360 first. I got it around the time of the PS3 launch and was pretty happy with it. Got a PS3 like a year later. Still no Wii. I ended up using that Xbox replacement warranty to purchase a 360 HD-DVD drive then when I discovered it was actually too loud to watch movies on, used that replacement warranty on a stand-alone HD-DVD player and didn't buy another warranty.

Still waiting for three of those four franchises to come to the PS3...
Old 10-14-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up with all 3 as well... Sold the Wii in 2008, play the 360 all the time, and use the PS3 as my BD/dvd player and an occasional game once in a while.
Old 10-14-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sniper308
I have a 360, as well as a GC and an Xbox, couple of GBA SP's.

Voted not sure, as I'm not sure if I'll pick up a Wii or not.

Won't be picking up a PS3, but may well pick up a PS2 after some more $$ dropping.
I now have 2 360's (fun for system link, streaming to different TV's in different rooms, etc), still have the GC and the original Xbox, the SP's, 2 DS's in the house, and a Wii.

Still no PS3... even with the price drop, no compelling reason for me to get one yet.

Kids get some play from the Wii. I have a couple of games for it myself, but rarely play it. The 360's get all the love.
Old 10-14-09, 12:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

When this poll came out, console gaming wasn't even on my radar. I hadn't had a console since the late 90s, when I had a PS1. But in late 2006, when we were getting all the hype about the launch of the PS3 and the Wii, I started thinking maybe I wanted to get back into console gaming. In early 2007, I upgraded from a tube TV to a flatscreen and decided to grab a 360 at the same time. About a year later, I bought a Wii. I still don't have a PS3, but with the recent price drop, I am very tempted.
Old 10-14-09, 12:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 846 Posts

I didn't vote in the poll, but at the time, I would have said that the 360 would be my one and only console.

Now, I own all three and get enjoyment out of all of them (although the 360 is still the most-played of the bunch)
Old 10-14-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I voted, it was for Wii only, but now I have a PS3 slim.
Old 10-14-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I must have accidentally voted for the wrong one, because I never planned on owning as PS3 after the pricing structure was released. If I had voted for the one I meant to vote for, then I would have been correct.
Old 10-14-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazgul
If I voted, it was for Wii only, but now I have a PS3 slim.
If you voted, your vote would be italicized in the poll.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.