Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does MS let you purchase a warranty months after you bought the 360?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Does MS let you purchase a warranty months after you bought the 360?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have been putting this off as well. i will be calling them this weekend to get the 2 year.
Old 05-06-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also going to call real soon for the 2 year extended warranty. I've only froze up once with my Oblivion rental. The first time I connected the xbox 360 I thought it was broken, but turns out I didn't snap the video cable all the way. It showed 4 red lights and I was like "fuck".
Old 05-06-06, 06:28 PM
Banned

I am impressed. This system i got froze a couple times on me, so i called MS to check on the warranty on it. Its a launch system im sure, since the date on the back says 10/30/05. Well, they checked it out, and theres still a warranty till June 06. So im gonna rent some games to check if it freezes without the hdd this time, and if it does, they're going to send me the box for a replacement unit.
Old 05-07-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Now see, that doesn't make sense at all. When I called they said mine(launch box) was on the last day of the warranty. I let a friend know of my troubles so he called to get the warranty and they wouldn't let him saying the expiration was 4 days ago.

Just an update, they said the A/V cables were bad so instead of waiting on them to ship them I picked some up at BB for temorary use. No dice, chicago. same problem except this time when it locked up it gave me the magic 3 red lights. Dead system. they are shipping me a box to ship it to them this week.

Well I unpacked my Gamecube and this gave me an excuse to open/play Metroid Prime: echoes. Great game, btw, but I despise games with save points with a passion.
Old 05-08-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
That sucks. I'll admit that hearing all the dead system stories has made me play a little less. I guess in my head not playing all the time = holding off system death.
Old 05-08-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine has been acting up some - getting more frequent lockups in Oblivion and now Dynasty Warriors 5. I'm glad i have the warranty if i end up needing the thing.
Old 05-08-06, 09:21 AM

Well, I don't know what you guys did, but when I called they said I couldn't get the extended warranty over the phone. So I have to mail that paper that came with the box. That's really stupid that you can't do it over the phone or on xbox.com.
Old 05-08-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
After reading all this I guess I'd better do the MS warranty. I passed on the one Toys R Us was offering because at the time it didn't sound too good for the $$, but now $50 for peace of mind sounds pretty darn good...
Old 05-08-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called in and signed up over the phone because i had already thrown away the other paperwork without even really reading it.
Old 05-08-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
This sounds pretty shady on MS's part. Allowing some users to get the warranty and not others.
Old 05-08-06, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
This sounds pretty shady on MS's part. Allowing some users to get the warranty and not others.
I was suprised too after reading this thread full of people doing it over the phone. It's possible I got a lazy rep over the phone.
Old 05-08-06, 11:38 AM

Update: I called and a nice lady helped me out no problem. That asshole the other night was just lazy. So hopefully I won't need to use that 2 year warranty.
Old 05-08-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Update: I called and a nice lady helped me out no problem. That asshole the other night was just lazy. So hopefully I won't need to use that 2 year warranty.

cool

You also have to get the right department. When I 1st called the guy on the line was nice, but he didn't know for sure if I could get the warranty. He brought up some long winded documentation on his computer to check it out but he didn't want to read all of it because he didnt' want to keep me on hold and he also didn't want to tell me no. So he created a "ticket" for my call and told me to call right back and press the number for HARDWARE problems. When I did that the lady who took my call said I could do it and once she checked to see if my system was registered, I ordered the 2 year.
Old 05-13-06, 01:24 PM
Mok

Funny I was getting worried about my 360 going up in smoke, so I called to inquire about the extended warranty. The first guy I got told me 2yrs for $60, then in the process of signing up I got cut off. So I called back and got another guy who quoted me a total of $43.60, I was in shock. I made sure it was for the 360 and signed up right away, he told me in about a month I should receive the contract. I hope something screwy didn't just happen to me. He gave me a reference number, and assured me it was for the 360.

I just checked my credit card online and was charged $56.88 I guess he forgot to tell me about the tax. Man they get you anyway they can.

Last edited by Mok; 05-13-06 at 01:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-13-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mok
Funny I was getting worried about my 360 going up in smoke, so I called to inquire about the extended warranty. The first guy I got told me 2yrs for $60, then in the process of signing up I got cut off. So I called back and got another guy who quoted me a total of $43.60, I was in shock. I made sure it was for the 360 and signed up right away, he told me in about a month I should receive the contract. I hope something screwy didn't just happen to me. He gave me a reference number, and assured me it was for the 360.

I just checked my credit card online and was charged $56.88 I guess he forgot to tell me about the tax. Man they get you anyway they can.

Wow. Between my "more the 90 day warranty" and your 43.60 for 2 years Extended deal ( )...what's going on at MS?!?!?! Does every customer rep computer have different info?
Old 05-13-06, 03:40 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow. Between my "more the 90 day warranty" and your 43.60 for 2 years Extended deal ( )...what's going on at MS?!?!?! Does every customer rep computer have different info?
Yeah and btw it has been about 5months since I got my 360. So I was shocked they let me get the warranty.
Old 05-15-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Called twice today to try to get the warranty. Both times I was told that the extended period to get it ended 5 days ago and that they could not sign me up. I was told that if any problems occur, I would have to pay to fix it. The rep was sympathetic. I am not having any trouble (yet), but then I again, I don't really play it that much. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If any one gets in, please post your story.