Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Level Intros, Cut Scenes, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who plays videogames mostly for the progression of a story, I watch all cutscenes and read all text. But I hate dying and having to sit through the same cutscene again.
Old 04-12-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love being able to disable the intro movies and logos on PC games. I wish there was an option to do that on consoles though.
Old 04-12-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
Xenogears for the PSX was the worse. There was too many cutscenes and not enough playing times, also the story was confusing and I did'nt know what heck this game was about. I finish it a months ago and won't even touch it again.
Old 04-12-06, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by tor_greg
As someone who plays videogames mostly for the progression of a story, I watch all cutscenes and read all text. But I hate dying and having to sit through the same cutscene again.

I like watching cut-scenes and getting into the story, but I do agree that the option should be there for those who don't. Either way, once you've seen it once you don't have to see it again unless (as mentioned before) it's watchable through some type of theater mode.

What I REALLY hate is not being able to pause at ANY time. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of some plot-heavy cut-scene that I don't wanna miss and I get a phone call or visitor knocking at the door. Sometimes my wife needs to say something or just walks in from work. Hard to tell her "be quiet honey, I'm watching an unskippable, unpausible cut-scene". Kingdom Hearts and Shadow Hearts both let you pause at any time and I think all games should do this.
Old 04-12-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
MWB. Condemned is the best game on 360 to date for me. Don't let the cutscene issue hold you back.
Agreed 100% Condemned to me was THE game of the launch.
Old 04-12-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelgearX

What I REALLY hate is not being able to pause at ANY time. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of some plot-heavy cut-scene that I don't wanna miss and I get a phone call or visitor knocking at the door. Sometimes my wife needs to say something or just walks in from work. Hard to tell her "be quiet honey, I'm watching an unskippable, unpausible cut-scene". Kingdom Hearts and Shadow Hearts both let you pause at any time and I think all games should do this.
I share your pain. The worst part is, usually you don't know whether or not a game allows pauses... so the "start" button can either pause the cutscene, or skip the cutscene altogether.
Old 04-12-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I share your pain. The worst part is, usually you don't know whether or not a game allows pauses... so the "start" button can either pause the cutscene, or skip the cutscene altogether.
Ugh, that's the worst. "Sorry, honey. I can listen to you anytime, but these video game people are only gonna say this once." *smack*
Old 04-12-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
Ugh, that's the worst. "Sorry, honey. I can listen to you anytime, but these video game people are only gonna say this once." *smack*
What's even worse is that no matter how many times you say that, she never gets it through her thick skull! So you're the bad guy over and over when, really, it is she that doesn't learn.
Old 04-13-06, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
What's even worse is that no matter how many times you say that, she never gets it through her thick skull! So you're the bad guy over and over when, really, it is she that doesn't learn.

ROFLMFAO
Old 04-13-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts
Some people wear their hearts on their sleaves.

You guys wear your wedding bands

Getting back to the cut scene issue I like the cutscenes of actions game more actually. They usually try to make it short and are not usually too plot ladden. Prince of Persia and Resident Evil 4 have a good amount of cutscenes. Of course Metroid Prime is great because all of the plot is given through interactive means. Scanning things and discovering things at the players leisure.

As far as RPGs go I really like them old school. All the intricate and convoluted plots and most of the plot being shown on 10+ minute cutscenes has kind of turned me off of the latest RPGs. I guess I am just old fashioned in that way.