Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

cheating in Halo 2 with mods?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheating in Halo 2 with mods?!?!

I was playing Halo 2 with a buddy last night on xbox live. We were playing team slayer and when the match started, the other 2 guys on our team said "check out this mod!" and starting jumping around like crazy (hundreds of feet in the air) and racking up kills like crazy. They were obviously cheating, so we left the game and left them feedback. But how did they get a modded xbox on live? It was annoying as heck.
Old 04-06-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Maybe it's a "Glitch" and not a Mod? I have no idea. I do know that shit like that really pisses me off.
Old 04-06-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a glitch, not a mod. Just like flying with the sword.
Old 04-07-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah it's like hiding in the Cantina wall in Star Wars:Battlefront II.
Old 04-07-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gotcha. glitch makes more sense. I got thrown off because both players had the word "mod" in their gamertag and described it as a "mod."

Slightly OT - does anyone know the criteria for being able to boot a team member who betrays you? I've had people shoot me point blank in the face and not been able to boot them. On the other hand, I played a game the other night where my team member ran into an are where I had chucked a gernade at an enemy. He, of course, died as well and the lameass booted me!
Old 04-08-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While there is a glitch where you can super jump, it involves crouching in certain corners and is a pain. It's not something that can be done at will. Considering they had mod in their name, they most likely were modding.

People take modded Xbox's on Live all the time. They use promo 2 month Live subscription cards. The gamertag gets banned and they just use another 2 month card. It sucks big time.
Old 04-08-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
While there is a glitch where you can super jump, it involves crouching in certain corners and is a pain. It's not something that can be done at will. Considering they had mod in their name, they most likely were modding.

People take modded Xbox's on Live all the time. They use promo 2 month Live subscription cards. The gamertag gets banned and they just use another 2 month card. It sucks big time.
I was always under the impression that MS banned the actual xbox's EEPROM, not the gamertag - has this changed? At any rate, it is annoying as hell. Thanks for the info
Old 04-08-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
I was always under the impression that MS banned the actual xbox's EEPROM, not the gamertag - has this changed? At any rate, it is annoying as hell. Thanks for the info
There's ways to change the EEPROM to unban yourself.

BTW for anyone wondering, I've never done any of this myself. I'm just aware of how some of it works.
Old 04-08-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
There's ways to change the EEPROM to unban yourself.

BTW for anyone wondering, I've never done any of this myself. I'm just aware of how some of it works.
gotcha - seems like such a hassle just to cheat in a dang xbox game for a few days.
Old 04-09-06, 08:56 AM

I was under the impresion that it is a mod. It can only be done on the maps downloaded to the HD. I know what a super jump is and the jumping that can be done with a mod is nothing like a super jump.

Mods I have seen:

1. Needler has each one of it's needles explode on contact like a rocket
2. 1 shot kills with some type of auto aiming
3. Being able to Jump out of range of bullets
4. And some kind of ammo mod for the guns, when the game ends the one using the mod has like 10,000 shot fired.

It has been several months since I played Halo 2, but this all started with the downloading of the new maps. I had hoped they had fixed it by now.
Old 04-09-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

your mac address is sent with other info to ms when you fist log onto live, i would think they'd just start banning those along with the eprom.

i don't think they'll ever have it fixed, i mean great i'm all for checking stuff out and seeing how to break things etc, but don't do it on live have a lan party. and if ms had bigger balls they would ban those people and charge them a full years price of live for damages to honest players. then give every honest player the cheaters address and a baseball bat along with $100 gas money.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 04-09-06 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoshUnt
I had hoped they had fixed it by now.
There are still modders running amok, but they mostly stick to the ranked games as far as I can tell. The popular cheat now, that seems to have infected EVERYWHERE on Halo 2, is "Bridging", where the cheater is able to use a firewall to lag other players out of the game, making for an easy win.

As a 100% legit gamer (I'd quit out of a game when someone on my team was cheating), it's all extremely irritating and I'm not sure I'm going to renew my XBL account when it's up in a couple weeks because of it.
Old 04-17-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Well I did renew mine but only in hopes of getting with the old DVD Talk Halo gang for custom only stuff. Or find others here on the board that's in it for fun only.

Kenny J. - Buzz Starhopper
Old 04-18-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well I did renew mine but only in hopes of getting with the old DVD Talk Halo gang for custom only stuff. Or find others here on the board that's in it for fun only.

Kenny J. - Buzz Starhopper
Cool
Old 04-18-06, 07:30 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I find myself playing Halo less and less lately. Last night was the first time in a while that I had played.

I'm finding it just not fun anymore. I'm growing tired and frustrated with all the foul mouth kids who need to sing, yell, make racist comments, and just be a jerk as they kill you(if you are on the opposite team) or just team kill or suicide(in slayer game types).

Couple that with the fact that despite what Bungie says, cheating/modding/bridging sill happens quite frequently, I'm about done with Halo.

I keep it for the times people play custom games, or if we have a full party we get into ranked games.
Old 04-18-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Halo is still fun, but it's definitely growing thin. The customs I was able to play last night were a blast though.

BTW, HI McD is a B-I-T-C-H.
Old 04-18-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
I find myself playing Halo less and less lately. Last night was the first time in a while that I had played.

I'm finding it just not fun anymore. I'm growing tired and frustrated with all the foul mouth kids who need to sing, yell, make racist comments, and just be a jerk as they kill you(if you are on the opposite team) or just team kill or suicide(in slayer game types).

Couple that with the fact that despite what Bungie says, cheating/modding/bridging sill happens quite frequently, I'm about done with Halo.

I keep it for the times people play custom games, or if we have a full party we get into ranked games.

Yep. I've played on Live with my friends ONCE since the 360 was released. It just isn't fun anymore for all the reasons you list. I have way more fun on Burnout these days.
Old 04-18-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
then give every honest player the cheaters address and a baseball bat along with $100 gas money.

I heard they were going to start doing this July 1st..
Old 04-18-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I get modders maybe 1 out of every 20 games
Lately half of the ranked games are people "de-ranking" just committing suicide- It just so happens they are always on my team.
The game is just unplayable now.
I don't understand why Bungie is working on a Live arcade game and not continuing support fo rthis title. they could make millions just releasing new maps... only they'd have to curb the cheating and suicides.
Old 04-18-06, 12:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I get modders maybe 1 out of every 20 games
Lately half of the ranked games are people "de-ranking" just committing suicide- It just so happens they are always on my team.
The game is just unplayable now.
I don't understand why Bungie is working on a Live arcade game and not continuing support fo rthis title. they could make millions just releasing new maps... only they'd have to curb the cheating and suicides.
They have their money, and they could care less about the community at this point. I believe I've read a long time ago that Halo 2 is complete and no further content will be developed.
Old 04-18-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know how booting works? I've played in Team Slayer games where there is someone on my team who kills me multiple times but I never get the option to boot. But I've been booted several times for throwing a gernade at a group of enemies and having some dumbass on my team walk into the firefight and get himself killed.
Old 04-19-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does anyone know how booting works? I've played in Team Slayer games where there is someone on my team who kills me multiple times but I never get the option to boot. But I've been booted several times for throwing a gernade at a group of enemies and having some dumbass on my team walk into the firefight and get himself killed.
OH SHIT!! DON'T GET ME STARTED ON BOOTING!!!!

I've noticed that booting is more often used by immature FUCKS to boot you for making honest mistakes, Not being a "friend", or for simply not being "Good enough" for the people playing.

The other day I was playing Star Wars:Battlefront II and there's a guy who sets up rooms and leaves. Well the room was full and everyone was having fun until this ass started teamkilling for sport. The bad part is since the HOST wasn't there and based on how he set the room up, no one could boot this fucktard. So after every game this guy would be the "Traitor" and would have like 20+ Teamkills. I mean there were times when my team could of won but because of his Teamkills the points were lowered.