Old 04-05-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part III: Smaller & Brighter

Continue from Part II.
Old 04-05-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, I like the title (and can't wait for the DS Lite)
Old 04-05-06, 10:01 AM
Retired

Finished Princess Peach the first time, working on going back through and finding the new hidden stuff and doing the extra levels that unlock.

Definitely a great game. Wish they would have upped the difficulty a tad, just actually having lives and dying would have helped a lot. But still a blast to play with nice level design and a lot of hidden stuff to find (though most of it isn't really hidden per se as it's right out in the open), but still a lot of incentive to replay.

Metroid I'm still struggling with. I beat the first boss, who was simply a slightly tweaked repeat of the third boss. That's just lazy on the developers part. Still not adusted to the controls, can only play for 20-30 minutes at a time before my hands cramp up.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 04-05-06 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I beat the third boss, who was simply a slightly tweaked repeat of the third boss.
Whoa, sounds infinite. I still haven't given MPH a fair shake since I've got Tetris and KH2.
Old 04-05-06, 10:23 AM
Retired

Nice catch. Repeat of the first boss. Just read some threads elsewhere, looks like the bosses are repeated over and over.

Online play isn't saving the game for me as I always end up just getting 1 on 1 match ups, and that's just no fun in a death match game.
Old 04-05-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Super Mario Brothers has been delayed, delayed again, and now undelayed. May 15th again.

http://mario.nintendo.com/
Old 04-05-06, 11:08 AM
Retired

A hands on feature on NEW SMB from www.1up.com.

For a brief moment there, it felt like I was back in the 3rd grade, explaining to my teacher in front of the class the finer nuances of jumping on blocks, eating strange mushrooms and rescuing damsels in distress.
Then I was back in 4th grade, slamming controllers down in rage as Wart's magical musical vegetable-spewing machine launched a bubble that my last-life Princess could not float away from. This is when my mother first suspected I had a videogame "problem."

Then I was back in 6th grade, watching Fred Savage guide his little brother to the warp whistle at the dramatic climax of The Wizard, and immediately realizing that there was no possible way Fred Savage could have known to kneel down on the white block for three seconds in a game he just found out existed.

As I was playing New Super Mario Bros. at this year's Game Developers Conference, all of these memories came flooding back. Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3 were the reasons for my adolescent videogame obssession, and even though it's been fourteen-odd years since the last proper side-scrolling Mario game, it's easy to see elements of the old in the new.

The game begins in World 1-1, which is essentially the same in layout and style to 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. -- very simple running and jumping, with a smattering of enemies that are easily dispatched via the Fire Flower (who's return we celebrate with great enthusiasm). It doesn't take long to discover the effectiveness of NSMB's...ahem, biggest new addition: chomping on a certain mushroom makes Mario the size of the entire screen, and thusly, an unstoppable killing machine. Charging through enemies and environments builds up a meter at the top of the screen, and the more damage you do the more green 1UP mushrooms you get. At first it seemed like this form might be a little too powerful a feature, but if you think about it, it's essentially the same as getting a star and running invincible through the level...only now you're literally running through the level.

The next level goes underground, similar to SMB's World 1-2 in aesthetic style, but especially in layout -- it's here that you first notice that even though the level design is spatially different, the technical platforming aspects of jump distance, ceiling height, and enemy placement are definitely true to the series' heritage.

Remember the warp zone in Super Mario Bros. World 4-2? The one with the funky orange mushrooms? The next course conjures up the same imagery, but with a distinct Super Mario World flavor of level design. Large orange mushroom platforms sway back and forth, creating odd angles over large gaps, and measured movement is required to successfully pass.

1-4 is a traditional mini-castle inhabited by Baby Bowser, and this is where Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World influences can be clearly seen. This is mostly a vertical climb up platforms and pipes, and through several areas of closing walls that have to be timed just right to avoid. It is here that the Blue Shell makes its non-kart racer debut: similar to SMB3's Tanooki suit, Mario hops into the blue shell and can slide left and right through the level with limited invincibility. The fight with Baby Bowser at the end is a typical "hop on his head three times" battle.

After playing that battle, the female booth attendant at GDC kindly roadblocked my trip down memory lane -- apparently Nintendo didn't want show-goers to see beyond this point. Because of the recent delay, my next taste of New Super Mario Bros. will have to come at E3. But it's funny how more effective NSMB seemed to be at conjuring up pleasant thoughts of days gone by than the countless remakes and reissues of the games I played in the first place. (Even if it doesn't have fireworks at 1, 3 and 6.)
Old 04-05-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My DS is on hold at the moment.. I'm playing damn Tales of Phantasia AGAIN for some reason on the GBA. I still have a backlog of games to get to but they're all pretty short romps from what I can tell, so it's all good. I'm thinking about importing Tales of the Tempest since there's been no word (yet) that it's on its way over here.
Old 04-05-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Hmm... I've been playing Tales of Phantasia on my old GBA SP, just because of the form factor, even though the old lighting stinks compared to the newer models and the SP.

I recently got the imported Bleach game for the DS, and I'm having a blast. That and Jump Super Stars have effectively put my Animal Crossing DS addiction on hold, at least for a little while.
Old 04-05-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How would you compare Bleach to JSS? I had a hell of a time with JSS and we still have 3 player brawls from time to time, great game. I'd really like to know how the online mode works out for you as well.
Old 04-05-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope the DS lite is coming fast to Western shores because I sold my old DS just now on ebay.
Old 04-05-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DS Lite might come out next month with New Super Mario Bros.. nothing official yet though.
Old 04-05-06, 01:58 PM

yeah i hope it comes out in may. ive been buying a crapload of ds games, but wanted to wait for the lite to buy a ds.
Old 04-05-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
DS Lite might come out next month with New Super Mario Bros.. nothing official yet though.

That would be a nice move because old school jump'n'runs are one of the buying reasons for the DS (at least for me). Hopefully Nintendo Europe acts as fast as the American counterpart.
Old 04-05-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
Hmm... I've been playing Tales of Phantasia on my old GBA SP, just because of the form factor, even though the old lighting stinks compared to the newer models and the SP.

I recently got the imported Bleach game for the DS, and I'm having a blast. That and Jump Super Stars have effectively put my Animal Crossing DS addiction on hold, at least for a little while.
I have both JSS and Bleach but I'm loving Bleach more. My only gripe would be the Wi-Fi mode because matches are super slow and laggy. I can understand this being an issue when my competition is on the other side of the world. Both games are definitely worth importing.
Old 04-05-06, 02:02 PM

That would be sweet if it happened. I heard August/September for the DS Lite and Nintendo will showcase it at E3.
Old 04-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Setzer
I have both JSS and Bleach but I'm loving Bleach more. My only gripe would be the Wi-Fi mode because matches are super slow and laggy. I can understand this being an issue when my competition is on the other side of the world. Both games are definitely worth importing.
Are the matches laggy when you're playing against a US player (if you have done this)?
Old 04-05-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
How would you compare Bleach to JSS? I had a hell of a time with JSS and we still have 3 player brawls from time to time, great game. I'd really like to know how the online mode works out for you as well.
Haven't played online mode, since with every fighting game known to man I've sucked online. But I will try eventually, though I hear that connecting to the servers in Japan introduces serious lag.

Bleach DS is more a traditional "Street Fighter 2" fighting game than Jump Super Stars, which was more Super Smash Brothers (though Bleach does have four player action). Each character has a "hadouken" move, a "shouryuken" move, and maybe a couple others (down, down, button). Three "punch" buttons for varying levels of punches/kicks, a super meter, etc. Two levels on most stages that you can jump back and forth from, guard cancels, what have you. In addition, you get a "deck" of ten cards (randomly selected from the ones you win in the game) that you can use to various effects, much like the support characters in JSS, though I haven't familiarized myself with them to the point that I know immediately what each one does.

It's a fun game... certainly much, much better if you're familiar with Bleach, but enjoyable even without. Lots of characters. I saw both this and the PSP Bleach 2 game at the local Fry's (where I also picked up JSS), and originally bought the PSP one... went online, and the overwhelming recommendation was for the DS game, so I went back the next day to return the unopened PSP one.

edited to add: I'll try online maybe tonight... I'm not sure how DS online works, if there are servers in Japan that would produce lag no matter who you're playing, but I'm up for putting my friend code in the corresponding thread if someone else with Bleach wants to try. As I said, though, I suck.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-05-06 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodoubt
yeah i hope it comes out in may. ive been buying a crapload of ds games, but wanted to wait for the lite to buy a ds.
same here - it's been driving me crazy looking at the pile of games with no system
Old 04-05-06, 04:44 PM

Are the matches laggy when you're playing against a US player (if you have done this)?
I haven't had a match against a U.S. player -- I don't think. All my matches on Wi-Fi have been laggy and I assume that's because I'm playing against players in Japan.
Old 04-05-06, 11:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I <3 my DS Lite
Old 04-06-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If DS Lite won't come out here until September, I will import mine as soon as prices get reasonable for importers. Hopefully a month or two.
Old 04-06-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I <3 my DS Lite
My DS Lite just shipped from lik-sang today. Woo Hoo! Finally I'll get to play those 10 games that have been sitting on my desk collecting dust!
Old 04-06-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Setzer
I haven't had a match against a U.S. player -- I don't think. All my matches on Wi-Fi have been laggy and I assume that's because I'm playing against players in Japan.
Ah, okay then.. I'll probably pass on it for now. I'm more into the Smash Bros. style than a straight-up fighter now (though I LOVE Treasure.. so I'll probably break down at some point). I haven't gotten to play JSS much as is as our group gatherings have been sparse this last month.
Old 04-06-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
If DS Lite won't come out here until September, I will import mine as soon as prices get reasonable for importers. Hopefully a month or two.
Good luck, I still can't get one here in Japan. I have seen people with them though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.