Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MS launches new viral marketing campaign, possibly a portable

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MS launches new viral marketing campaign for their new tablet/PDA/portable

http://www.origamiproject.com/1/

It talks about the places you can go etc. Whatever it is should be revealed 03/02/06, so at least it's not too long of a wait.

Engadget has an article on it here.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/m...igami-project/

Last edited by tenaciousdave; 02-26-06 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 09:19 PM
Banned

From Engadget comments:

Okay, this is really easy to figure out. Remember flipstart, that little Windows XP running computer (that coincidentally looks like this) and was using a Transmeta Crusoe processor? Well, it was going to be produced by noneother than Paul Allen's Vulcan Ventures but never came about for some unknown reason. Probably because Crusoe was underpowered. Well, Microsoft then signs this deal with Transmeta last spring to use their Efficeon in a "secret" project. Efficeon is near the power of an Intel mobile processor but runs much cooler and with less power. Anyway, this deal with Transmeta (per recent disclosure) is near completion and will be announced this or next quarter. All the details between this origami rumor and the work order listed in Transmeta's 3rd quarter filing match up. This is going to be an XP running machine with great media center features and resembling the flipstartpc.com

Efficeon @90nm using LongRun2

It is going to be impressive.
I'm too tired to do any fact checking tonight. Maybe tomorrow. But it does sound correct.
Old 02-25-06, 09:54 PM

Microsoft has been touting the TabletPC as the next big revolution for a long time now. This may just be that the technology (power, battery life, size) have finally made this a possibility. Looks cool. And with the 360 and MCE, Microsoft has proven that they have the ability to do Apple like design and usability.
Old 02-26-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, a video of Oragami in action is on the net already. It shows a bunch of cool stuff including Halo 1 being played on it.

*Video Dead*

If you want to see the video

http://www.d-kitchen.com/main.html

click enter

Click Work

Click Brand Theatre

Click Microsoft Origami

*Video Dead*

This mystery didn't take long.

Last edited by tenaciousdave; 02-27-06 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That thing is huge.
Old 02-26-06, 12:45 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by edstein
That thing is huge.
Well, it's a tablet PC, not a portable gaming device. It's kind of meant to be something in between a Palm Pilot and a laptop in terms of size and functionality.
Old 02-26-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's smaller than my Motion TabletPC, which I don't think is too big at all. In fact, my first thought was this thing might be too small. I use it for taking notes in meetings and being roughly the size of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper is perfect. But I'm still interested in this.
Old 02-26-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So it's like an oqo?
Old 02-26-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for the record I HATE the term "viral marketing". I can't explain why, but it's there.

This thing looks cool. I would probably never get one, but still cool.
Old 02-27-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Just for the record I HATE the term "viral marketing". I can't explain why, but it's there.

Agreed. It's newspeak for word-of-mouth, and trying way too hard to be hip.

Also agreed. Just the right size, hopefully not underpowered.
Old 02-27-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Agreed. It's newspeak for word-of-mouth, and trying way too hard to be hip.
You mean like how webpages are now blogs and mp3s are now podcasts?
Old 02-27-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly

I don't like it either. I also hate how they're executed.

I also won't be buying one. I've never really been into portables. I don't even play my DS and that has good games available, so I've heard.
Old 02-27-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it appears large...but I'm sure they are working on things. If it plays XBOX games though, that is interesting. It's like the portable Genesis that people love (Nomad, correct?)
Old 02-27-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it played Xbox games, I'd think they would show off Halo 2. I think it's more likely that it plays PC games.
Old 02-27-06, 11:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
blogs are journals or diaries... blogs so dumb. And yes, "podcast" is the dumbest of them all. For fuck's sake, they work on any MP3 player.
Old 02-27-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
Well, a video of Oragami in action is on the net already. It shows a bunch of cool stuff including Halo 1 being played on it.

If you want to see the video

http://www.d-kitchen.com/main.html

click enter

Click Work

Click Brand Theatre

Click Microsoft Origami

This mystery didn't take long.
I guess I missed it. the video is gone.
Old 02-27-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like they pulled it. I'm sure it will be all over on the 2nd though.
Old 02-27-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
I might check this out. I need to get a tablet PC to go to a paperless office and this might be a good solution.

How cool would it be to get a portable game system I can deduct?
Old 02-27-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone captured the video, here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB7HIPKF1OY
Old 02-27-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket

That is funny. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. For awhile I never got the whole podcast thing and when I finally decided to check one out I was thinking, "so....it's just in an mp3 format?" Nothing else special about it.
Old 02-27-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow that thing is a tanker! It's too big to be pocketsized and too small to be used as a primary computer. The guy using it for GPS and then music made me laugh. That would be like the clunkiest music player on the planet. May as well haul your laptop with you.
Old 02-27-06, 10:39 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Franchise
Wow that thing is a tanker! It's too big to be pocketsized and too small to be used as a primary computer. The guy using it for GPS and then music made me laugh. That would be like the clunkiest music player on the planet. May as well haul your laptop with you.
As I said above, I think it could be a nice device in between a palm pilot/pocket pc and a lap top.

The palms are too limited and lugging around a laptop gets old. If this works well it could be the ideal thing to take to the library for students or to meetings as it's something you can easily slip into a brief case or back pack and yet still have the software you need.

But I agree it's too big for a gaming device or music device, but nice as a laptop supplement for people that just need the internet, word processing etc in meetings, for library research etc.
Old 02-27-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
As I said above, I think it could be a nice device in between a palm pilot/pocket pc and a lap top.

The palms are too limited and lugging around a laptop gets old. If this works well it could be the ideal thing to take to the library for students or to meetings as it's something you can easily slip into a brief case or back pack and yet still have the software you need.

But I agree it's too big for a gaming device or music device, but nice as a laptop supplement for people that just need the internet, word processing etc in meetings, for library research etc.
Those are definately the primary functions. Although being able to leave the Ipod and DS/PSP at home because of it's extra functions is nice.
Old 02-28-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i vote windows vista and an order of general tso's chicken. these ad things really show how much time people have on their hands to spread WoM.
Old 02-28-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
And there is zero market for that form-factor.

The problem with this scenario is that it sounds better in theory than in practice. People were up in arms about their scratched Nanos.... I doubt that people would take their origami and slip in a backpack or briefcase.

And It's about the information. If your origami doesn't have access to the information that is on your home laptop/PC, then it is pretty useless. If it has only basic contact/calendar info, then it is no better than a PDA.

Pocket PCs are definitely "powerful enough" to take to a library or a meeting. My PPC with mini gear-pouch (that held a folding keyboard) combined was smaller and more pocketable than the origami. Now with my smartphone, I can take my gear-pouch and be as productive in a library or conference room with that.

Again, sounds better on paper than in practice. One of the largest benefits of a notebook/laptop is to take ALL of your applications/data with you. Taking the origami to a library... heck, just use one of the library computers.

What IS needed are smaller notebooks with more comprehensive docking stations.

If the Origami is released as shown in that video... it will flop. Sure it'll sell. The curious gadgeteers will definitely buy one, but it won't be the next "form factor".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.