Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gameboy Micro as a Portable Media Player Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
So you are saying the DIVX files on that MP3 player will need to be recoded for the MP3 players resolution?
Yes. That's been true for Pocket PCs and Windows Mobile Smartphones that play DivX as well.
Old 02-10-06, 08:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I stand corrected. I always think back to a portable DVD player where the technology has been around forever and it plays fine on a tiny, low-res LCD screen.
Old 02-10-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I stand corrected. I always think back to a portable DVD player where the technology has been around forever and it plays fine on a tiny, low-res LCD screen.
Well, that's understandable. I sure wish you were correct though.

As mobile devices continue to converge, I wouldn't be surprised to see devices down the road that have enough horsepower to downscale video-on-the-fly.
Old 02-11-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got & am fairly impressed. So far I have converted 3 avi files, all play fine except with one I get no sound. I updated the firmware, downloaded the latest software & the codec pack from the site. Any other ideas?
Old 02-11-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok now I get no sound on any of the files, I was on a couple earlier
Old 02-12-06, 11:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by sracer
Well, that's understandable. I sure wish you were correct though.

As mobile devices continue to converge, I wouldn't be surprised to see devices down the road that have enough horsepower to downscale video-on-the-fly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this one does the mythical downconversion:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...133251%3A96469
Old 02-12-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong but this one does the mythical downconversion:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...133251%3A96469
hehe...well OF COURSE PMP devices can do that! (I should've been explicit in my answer) But for those devices whose primary purpose ISN'T portable media playback... PDA, smartphone, gameboy, etc. downcoversion is still elusive.
Old 02-12-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is up with these link synergy links?
Old 02-12-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Gem and the Holograms use Synergy to transformer to super rocker chicks to battle the Misfits in skin tight outfights that are truly outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous.
Old 02-12-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhattheFFF
ok now I get no sound on any of the files, I was on a couple earlier
I couldn't the latest 1.5 version to work at all. I'm pretty sure it is a codec problem that can only be solved by removing all codecs and reinstalling their codec.

Not worth it for me so I'm using 1.3 until something better comes along. Probably the biggest reason not to get this is their is only one software program you can use with it.
Old 02-13-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I couldn't the latest 1.5 version to work at all. I'm pretty sure it is a codec problem that can only be solved by removing all codecs and reinstalling their codec.

Not worth it for me so I'm using 1.3 until something better comes along. Probably the biggest reason not to get this is their is only one software program you can use with it.
OK... this thing officially sucks. After a few successful attempts at encoding .vob files, the conversion software now refuses to work them any more. After it ceased working on .vob files, it wouldn't encode ANY sources (mpg, wmv). Rebooted and mpg and wmv encoding works again... but .vob still doesn't. Uninstalled everything, reinstalled... still no go.

Looks like I'll be sticking to my smartphone for portable media. The Micro is nice for playing GBA and NES games, so I'll stick to using it for that.
Old 02-14-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was reading up on some "stuff" for getting homebrew running on a DS and found out that there are special versions of the NES/GBC emulators for the Gameboy Movie Player that will allow SRAM saving and larger games to run.
Old 02-16-06, 11:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

hehe...well OF COURSE PMP devices can do that! (I should've been explicit in my answer) But for those devices whose primary purpose ISN'T portable media playback... PDA, smartphone, gameboy, etc. downcoversion is still elusive.
You know what's the diff between a PMP and something like the Ipod Video? Isn't the primary purpose of the Ipod video portable media playback?

I guess what I'm looking for is something like the Ipod Video and will play drag and drop DIVX files (without downconversion) and has a big HDD.
Old 02-16-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a Supercard that I use for NES emulation and other GBA homebrew stuff..it has the capability to play movies, mp3s, etc but I've actually never bothered to use it for that. Then again, I'd have to pick up a bigger CF card for it (I use a cheap 512MB).
Old 02-17-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I've got a Supercard that I use for NES emulation and other GBA homebrew stuff..it has the capability to play movies, mp3s, etc but I've actually never bothered to use it for that. Then again, I'd have to pick up a bigger CF card for it (I use a cheap 512MB).
512MB is PLENTY of space for movies and mp3s. I have a 512MB Mini-SD card for my smartphone and loaded it up with 2 full-length movies, an hour's worth of music, pocketstreet maps, books, etc.

I had to console my disappointment with the GMP by buying a 1GB mini-SD card for my smartphone.
Old 02-17-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

512MB is PLENTY of space for movies and mp3s. I have a 512MB Mini-SD card for my smartphone and loaded it up with 2 full-length movies, an hour's worth of music, pocketstreet maps, books, etc.

I had to console my disappointment with the GMP by buying a 1GB mini-SD card for my smartphone.
Hmmm

Guess I haven't tried fitting anything on it. It does have an awful lot of NES and a few GBA games on it eating up space, though. I need a a 1GB card.
Old 02-18-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 701 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I was reading up on some "stuff" for getting homebrew running on a DS and found out that there are special versions of the NES/GBC emulators for the Gameboy Movie Player that will allow SRAM saving and larger games to run.

Wow, really. Can you give a hint as to your source?
Old 02-18-06, 09:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

What about 256MB?
Old 02-18-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about 256MB?
Obviously more is better, but a 256MB card will do. I had a 256MB card for my Casio BE-300 and managed to get a 2 hour movie on it, a few ebooks and maps, and a few CD's worth of mp3s.
Old 02-19-06, 07:38 PM

I am loving this thing for my DS. It works great for the DS as I can set it on a desktop and play stuff on the top screen. Watching tv's shows from my dvd collection is especially fun.
Old 02-22-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Wow, really. Can you give a hint as to your source?
Check the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBA_Movie_Player

(and let me know how it works for you as I may want to buy one now!)
Old 02-22-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 701 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Check the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBA_Movie_Player

(and let me know how it works for you as I may want to buy one now!)

Ah...unfortunately it is a different product.

http://www.m3adapter.com/main.htm

This is the one that everyone is talking about.

http://www.movieadvance.com/index.htm

Huge price difference. The M3 goes for about $100 while the Movie player is about $25.
Old 03-09-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Ah...unfortunately it is a different product.
No, I don't think so.. look for the external links for these:

Special version of PocketNES which uses compression
Special version of PocketNES which loads files directly off the CompactFlash card
Old 03-09-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I know this is a long-shot.. but can somebody let me borrow one of these? I can cover shipping by PayPal. I don't have a great need for one but I'd really like to try out the stuck-pixel fixer program and I can't see paying $25 for the movie player and then another $30 (at least) for memory and a reader/writer just for this purpose.
Old 03-09-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I tried the stuck pixel fixer, but it didn't do anything for me. I even left in running for 2 days. I know it's worked for some, though.

If you have a wireless card that can run WiFiMe, you should be able to get the stuck pixel fixer running on your DS without the MP, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.