Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which game is better for the XBOX 360 - Project Gothem or Need For Speed?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Which game is better for the XBOX 360 - Project Gothem or Need For Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ylomnstr
How do you do the slow-mo on NFS? I didn't even know it existed!
I believe it's either the home or third-base buttons (blue or green). It's definitely one of those. You get slo-mo for like 4 seconds only.

I barely ever use it.
Old 01-10-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use it when doing a sharp u-turn to avoid the cops. Gives a really cool effect.
Old 01-10-06, 02:13 PM

Out of all the people who have NFS, if your doing story mode, How far are you on the Black list. I'm number 3 and the cop chases are really getting tough when trying to complete some of the milestones. Anyone figure out a really good hiding spot. I lost the cops with a wanted level of 5 by driving into the stadium, crashing the sign above the entrance and then sitting tight in the tunnle. Seemed to work great but have not been able to play for about a week now to test it again. How is everyone else doing?
Old 01-11-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
Out of all the people who have NFS, if your doing story mode, How far are you on the Black list. I'm number 3 and the cop chases are really getting tough when trying to complete some of the milestones. Anyone figure out a really good hiding spot. I lost the cops with a wanted level of 5 by driving into the stadium, crashing the sign above the entrance and then sitting tight in the tunnle. Seemed to work great but have not been able to play for about a week now to test it again. How is everyone else doing?
The stadium works every time for me. My problem is I either accidentally lose the cops at level 1 or 2 or die at level 4 when they start cheating. I can never move up in the bounty. I should've just kept going in the earlier levels because now it's impossible. I believe I'm at #5 or #6.
Old 01-11-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I own PGR3 and downloaded NFS:MW demo last night. NFS:MW has that lo-contrast muted color, scratched/worn, flickering look to it that seems to be the current fad for late teens/early 20's crowd. The cars handled like mush and definitely had an arcade feel to it.

There's just no comparison between the two games. They cater to different audiences. Not having the full game I don't think that I can give a fair evaluation of NFS:MW. But I strongly encourage anyone who owns and enjoys PGR3 and is considering NFS:MW to download the demo first.
Old 01-11-06, 09:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

I wish PGR had a more diversified group of cars to choose from. I mean the slowest car on there is like the Mustand GT I think. I loved in PGR2 you could choose from a bunch of different cars of all types.

Now that I think about it, the game that really had a bunch of cars, was TOUGH & really displayed speed well was Metropolis Street Racer for DC. I remember owning that and using the Audi TT and thinking how fast it was in real life cuz the in the game they threw you on these ultra tight street corners with alleys and stuff. I don't think I even got to the super cars in that one.
Old 01-11-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I wish PGR had a more diversified group of cars to choose from. I mean the slowest car on there is like the Mustand GT I think. I loved in PGR2 you could choose from a bunch of different cars of all types.
I don't recall for sure, but I remember reading somplace that all cars in PGR3 have a top end of at least 170 mph, so they are all the same in that aspect.

I posted this in the PGR3 help thread, but there was really no reply so,

"I did some racing online in the class D level, and I was using the TVR (best performance in class D) and I was racing the New York bridge course. Now the TVR I believe has pretty much full bars minus 3 in everything. On the bridge a Saleen would consistently catch me from behind (sometimes slamming into me at the turn). Now the TVR has all fuller bars than the Mustang, why does he go faster. The TVR has 400 HP and the Saleen has 500. Does this mean the bars aren't an even comparison between cars?

I know some will say it is my driving, but I came off the turn clean, he hit the wall. I was steadily accellerating across the bridge and he would catch me."
Old 01-11-06, 11:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Could the computer have a more aggressive shifting style than the default automatic the players get or if he was going manual, then his manual shifting style?

Comparing HP between cars doesn't tell the whole story. Also cars will accellerate faster in different gears than other cars.

Oh yeah test:

Can anyone see this?
Old 01-11-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the BARS don't say how fast a car can go. Some cars have different TOP-SPEEDS. Not sure the difference between the cars though, I've only played a little bit.
Old 01-11-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. My stepson received an original XBox and PGR2 for Christmas and I was impressed by the variety of vehicles offered. I'd love to see the same variety in PGR3.
Old 01-11-06, 11:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

It's almost like they are trying to not step on Forza's toes and making this game all about speed. The thing is I can't relate to driving a Ferrari Enzo around, but beating the shit out of an Audi TT in a tight sharp course is something I can relate to.

Definitely going to whip out my DC this week and MSR.
Old 01-11-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jon-w9
I don't recall for sure, but I remember reading somplace that all cars in PGR3 have a top end of at least 170 mph, so they are all the same in that aspect.

I posted this in the PGR3 help thread, but there was really no reply so,

"I did some racing online in the class D level, and I was using the TVR (best performance in class D) and I was racing the New York bridge course. Now the TVR I believe has pretty much full bars minus 3 in everything. On the bridge a Saleen would consistently catch me from behind (sometimes slamming into me at the turn). Now the TVR has all fuller bars than the Mustang, why does he go faster. The TVR has 400 HP and the Saleen has 500. Does this mean the bars aren't an even comparison between cars?

I know some will say it is my driving, but I came off the turn clean, he hit the wall. I was steadily accellerating across the bridge and he would catch me."
Three possible causes:
1. Lag. I've seen times where another vehicle will stutter ahead of me.
2. Manual Transmission. With a manual transmission you get faster acceleration and can reach top speed quicker than an auto.
3. Manual Shift bug. There is a bug in the game where if you press the eBrake ("A" button) and up-shift buttons simultaneously, the car will automatically hit top speed.
Old 01-11-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's almost like they are trying to not step on Forza's toes and making this game all about speed. The thing is I can't relate to driving a Ferrari Enzo around, but beating the shit out of an Audi TT in a tight sharp course is something I can relate to.

Definitely going to whip out my DC this week and MSR.
Could it have something to do with licensing? I imagine that game makers need to get (pay for) permission to use likenesses of vehicles. Could Forza have some exclusive rights?
Old 01-11-06, 11:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'll say this again. If someone can take a game that has the engine of PGR, put in the variety of cars of Forza, and have the option for open ended tracks like in Midtown Madness with an online mode where you can cruise around and drag race, they'd have the best car game ever.
Old 01-11-06, 11:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by sracer
Could it have something to do with licensing? I imagine that game makers need to get (pay for) permission to use likenesses of vehicles. Could Forza have some exclusive rights?
I doubt it. Maybe they *might* for Xbox, but since GT has a shitload of cars that I'm sure Forza also has, they couldn't have exclusives.
Old 01-11-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I doubt it. Maybe they *might* for Xbox, but since GT has a shitload of cars that I'm sure Forza also has, they couldn't have exclusives.
Well there isn't a single Porche in the game, only the RUF versions also there are no Bugattis in the game and I'm quite sure they are capable of getting up to 170 call me crazy (1001HP)

Still I love this game, get this for sim racing and get Full Auto next month to blow shit up, it's gonna be badass
Old 01-11-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did not know about the "manual shift bug"...I hope a LOT of people don't use that, that would piss me off.
Oh yeah...FULL AUTO next month too...I have that on order already. The demo was decent.
Old 01-20-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy's website has a coupon for $5 off Project Gotham Racing 3, making it $44.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat62500050034

When you click to open the coupon, the box comes up but you can't expand it. You can print however using the print icon.
Old 01-20-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too much into straight racing, so I picked up NFS and I'm loving it Those police chases can get damn intense.
Old 01-20-06, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by matome
Not too much into straight racing, so I picked up NFS and I'm loving it Those police chases can get damn intense.
Wait until you get to be #4, #3, or #2 on the black list. Impossible!!! Right now I'm #2 and trying to get the chance to race Razor. You end #3 with about 7,000,000 in bounty. To be able to race Razor, you need 10,000,000 in bounty. Impossible!!!
Old 01-20-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The bounty is what kills me in NFS:MW. I can't keep going.

As for licensing... EA has exclusive rights to BMW (hence, no Dinan M5s in PGR3) as well as Porsche (hence, Ruf).

Bugatti, however, is owned by Volkswagen. There's a VW but no Audis (is the S4 that slow?) and no Veyron.

I would love to see someone race the Veyron. I think on some tracks it would be impossible to get a clean race.
Old 01-20-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Oh yeah...FULL AUTO next month too...I have that on order already. The demo was decent.
We need a sister thread:
Which game is better for the XBOX 360 - Full Auto or Burnout?