Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Joytech 240 AV Control Center... anyone have it?

Old 01-03-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Joytech 240 AV Control Center... anyone have it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1130980621234

It's sold at Bestbuy for 89.99. It's similar to the Pelican Selector Pro (which I have) but it has a remote (although I understand the newer Pelicans also have a remote).

Anyone have this? Thoughts? I'm itching to get one so that I can switch everything with my new Harmony remote, but I've seen varied reports on the way this thing carries an HD signal. I also understand they're coming out with a 360-themed one.
Old 01-03-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So this is just a switching component?

I may be misunderstanding its function, but if all it does is switching I would invest that money in a solid receiver from Denon, Yahmaha or the like. If you don't have external speakers or ever plan to utilize a surround sound setup then I guess it makes sense. Sorry I can't provide any feedback on the actual device.
Old 01-03-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
So this is just a switching component?

I may be misunderstanding its function, but if all it does is switching I would invest that money in a solid receiver from Denon, Yahmaha or the like. If you don't have external speakers or ever plan to utilize a surround sound setup then I guess it makes sense. Sorry I can't provide any feedback on the actual device.
But where can you find a receiver that has 6 HDTV inputs it can switch between? And how much would that cost? I've never seen one that had more than 3 HDTV inputs.
Old 01-03-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I have an Onkyo receiver that does switching... it just doesn't have enough inputs (especially component inputs and optical audio) for all of my videogame systems. This unit (and the Pelican) has component switching as well as optical audio switching.
Old 01-03-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
But where can you find a receiver that has 6 HDTV inputs it can switch between? And how much would that cost? I've never seen one that had more than 3 HDTV inputs.
You are right, I did not consider that fact. Seeing how only the PS3 and 360 are going to take advantage of HD signals I wasn't really concerned about that.

A good receiver with 3 component inputs and at least 6.1 audio amongst all its other switching capabilities will run you aroun $300 on ebay, $400 retail.
Old 01-03-06, 01:01 PM

I own it. It works with the harmony remote. Granted it's IR is not as sensitive as other units in my setup. ie I've had to point at it to get it to work. I've only got my 480p devices hooked up to it and have had no problems so far. my 360 is directly hooked up to my projector. And the 240c Connects to the 2nd input of my projector to control all the other HD units. So far the Optical audio cables, ethernet cables and component cables all switch fine. People mentioned the thing would have glitching on the visuals but I have not noticed it except once in playing gauntlet 7 sorrows when using a spell that lit up the whole screen the picture disappeared for like 1/2 second. But it only happened once. If you can wait, I'd get the 360 version that is coming out just because it newer. But otherwise It was worth the $90.00 I spent on it. It's also very cool to hit 1 button on the harmony remote and have the projector, 5.1 spherex, DVD, and 240C all click on and switch to their appropriate inputs.
Old 01-03-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I also understand they're coming out with a 360-themed one.
Here is the link to the XBox 360 one:

http://www.joytech.net/products.php?...lang=1&catID=4

no picture on the website, but there was a picture of it in one of the video games mags (Game Informer, I think), which is where i first saw it. The coloring/design matches the 360.
Old 01-03-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the new System Selector Pro 2.0

I thought it was the direct update to the Pelican SSP, but the box is labeled as "Score", so I don't know if Pelican is changing it's name or what.

It's built pretty much exactly like the Pelican SSP, but it has added coaxial digital audio, more fiber optic ports, and more Cat5e ports.

So far it's been awesome, and the LCD on the front is cool.

It's listed on Gamestop as a Pelican product. My mother-in-law ordered in online for me, but I don't know exactly where. I got the white one, which isn't as hideous as I had feared, especially sitting under the 360.

You might want to hold out for that one, because it seems better than the Joytech, and it's a relatively proven product. The problem is that it's currently very hard to find in stores.
Old 01-03-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does the new Pelican have a remote? Also, do the ethernet ports still cut off when you switch between them (so if I'm downloading something on the 360, when I switch to the PS2 to kill some time, will it kill my session?)
Old 01-03-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Does the new Pelican have a remote? Also, do the ethernet ports still cut off when you switch between them (so if I'm downloading something on the 360, when I switch to the PS2 to kill some time, will it kill my session?)
Yes and I believe so -- haven't tested that out yet, but I think it would
Old 01-03-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the pelican pro component switch box. It works fine for any 480p sources but, when I've hooked up the xbox, 360 or, hd sat receiver I would get some kind of signal interference problems. Looked like wavy lines in spots on the picture. I'm not sure if its the pelican or the quality of my component cable that is the problem though. The audio authority 1154a is another option I have been looking into.

Last edited by edstein; 01-03-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-03-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the audio authority 1154a. It works great. No need for a remote since it's signal sensing. I have my 360, PS2, GC, and DVD player running through it.
Old 01-03-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That audio authority one looks pretty cool... did you buy it retail somewhere, or is it only available online?
Old 01-03-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've not seen one in any retail stores. I''ve seen them on ebay for $170.