Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

DEAD or Alive 4 XBOX 360-Anyone get it yet?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DEAD or Alive 4 XBOX 360-Anyone get it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Obey The D
I'll probably be on later on, but I think I may be stopping by the local watering hole after work, so I don't know how effective I'll be. I'll have to use Brad Wong, it'll be the perfect combination!

If I do play I'll be on live sometime after 9pm est.
Brad Wong is my favorite character for many reasons really.
Old 01-25-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Brad Wong is my favorite character for many reasons really.
Reason #1- None of the players in the game wear berkenstocks so he's the next best thing.
Old 01-25-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Reason #1- None of the players in the game wear berkenstocks so he's the next best thing.
It's Birkenstock btw.
Old 01-25-06, 01:56 PM

It's Birkenstock btw.
heh well you can't expect me to know that..........smartass
Old 01-25-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it just me, or is this game pretty hard? The only fighting game I ever really liked was MK2, which I own on, but this game, I just can't get.

I bought the strategy guide, but it didn't help much. Did all you guys play a lot of DOA3 on Xbox?

I can't block or throw worth a crap. I got beat online today by someone who did nothing but counter my attacks and throw me. It was humiliating. I need a training session with some of you guys.

BTW, still want the stick, but just can't pull the trigger yet.
Old 01-25-06, 04:33 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

This game is very hard. The moves are complex and each character has 100 moves. Granted, many are the same button and stick moves, but still. Trying to pull off moves against a computer or human player is very hard at times. Add in the countering system and it becomes more complex.

Still, I have fun playing. Even if I mostly mash buttons. I've been through the training with a few characters to do all their moves, but I can't remember 99% of them.
Old 01-25-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes the game can be pretty difficult as you try to learn to actually do things intentionally. What is fun about it is that button mashing in the beginning against other beginners will to a degree be successful but once people start learning counters and such button mashing falls to the wayside. If you were being countered a large amount either your opponent was very good, you were spamming the same combo until they figured it out, or the majority of your attacks were something like a middle punch. Those are the easiest to counter because people use them so frequently.

As for playing DOA3, i played a good deal of DOA3 back when it first came out. It was actually the first Xbox game i bought so we could fight each other and i played that thing to death. He used to beat me while i figured out the counter system and then it was all over. So practice counters, they will turn the battle around quicker than anything else.
Old 01-25-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll agree that the game is hard. You just have to keep at it.

The last fighter I played was Tekken Tag Team 3 during the PS2 launch.

I'm pretty much doing controlled button mashing. I know that I'll really need to learn the moves if I want to get good.
Old 01-25-06, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
This game is very hard. The moves are complex and each character has 100 moves. Granted, many are the same button and stick moves, but still. Trying to pull off moves against a computer or human player is very hard at times. Add in the countering system and it becomes more complex.

Still, I have fun playing. Even if I mostly mash buttons. I've been through the training with a few characters to do all their moves, but I can't remember 99% of them.
I suggest you stick to one character you would really like to learn. Also, when you do exercise don't try to remember all the moves as you don't really need them. Start with the basics and get comfortable with those. Eventually you will learn to use those instinctively. Little by little as you play more you can start adding other moves into your arsenal. Trust me, just because they have a hundred moves doesn't mean they're all useful. You'll learn your particular character's bread and butter moves by trial and error.

The countering system does prevent you from abusing those moves though. That's where mind games come in. You start mixing stuff up and before you know it your opponent doesn't know where you're going next.

SteelgearX
Old 01-26-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so what is everyones GT who plays this online regularly? i want to start adding you guys, cause i can never find anyone. feel free to add me: Chibearfan
Old 01-26-06, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
so what is everyones GT who plays this online regularly? i want to start adding you guys, cause i can never find anyone. feel free to add me: Chibearfan
Old 01-26-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm also on relatively regularly. Almost every weekend - although friday night is still Halo

Just skim through this thread and look at the sigs of the people posting. Many of us have our tags in our sig. Also, when you send an invite attach a message saying you are from dvdtalk - just so nobody confuses you with a random asshat from another game. (i'm staring at you Halo).
Old 01-26-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably be on tonight. Probably by 7 or 8 CST, but most likely before that.
Old 01-26-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDave
Trying to beat Time Attack with default settings is a bitch! I'm trying to finish off the costumes for Spartan and it took me 22 and 30 minutes for costumes 3 and 4. When I think I get Alpha's pattern down, bam, she does some crazy-ass combo. Namely that jump on your head, bend it back and take all your health combo.
I had to stop after beating it twice. You'd have to be a badass player to get the Gold or Silver achievements using the default settings.
yeah, it can take a lot of time in Time Attack mode, that's why I'm using Story Mode to unlock all the customes. Unfortunately for Spartan there's no story mode, so you have to unlock her costumes using Time Attack
Old 01-27-06, 06:56 AM

I play quite a bit; add me if you like

I hit a B- twice last night only to be beaten by D+ players *Cough* Beandip0001 Ntrlbrnkiller *Cough* the very next match both times lol

The way the point system works I have to win approximately three fights in a row to recover the points lost for being beaten by someone with a D+ that sucks where's strangehate when you need him?
Old 01-27-06, 01:55 PM

Alright, I've decided that tomorrow is DOA4 day. Call me a freak, but I really enjoy the game even if I can't play very well. Here's what I decided to do. I'm going to set my alarm for 9am because if I didn't I would end up sleeping until 2pm, which would make for a short DOA4 day. Shortly thereafter, I will be online playing DOA. I have only beaten the story mode twice (with the first 2 chicks on the list). I plan to be on most of the day, since my wife has to work. Of course I'll take the normal bathroom and food breaks, but I'm gonna log some hours tomorrow. I'll probably have to take a break to watch a movie or two when the wife gets home from work, but I'm determined to get better. I'll start by unlocking the characters. Depending on how long that takes me, I'll then start working on the costumes. I don't know why I felt like sharing this, and I'm sure no one really cares. I guess I just want to let those of you with DOA know that I'll be around for some matches. If anyone wants an easy win, feel free to send me an invite.
Old 01-27-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's the best way to get better.

I went through all the story modes and then on to the costumes. I'm now working on the hidden character costumes in Time Attack. You can only get them with the default, double round settings.
Old 01-27-06, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by aerobson
Alright, I've decided that tomorrow is DOA4 day. Call me a freak, but I really enjoy the game even if I can't play very well. Here's what I decided to do. I'm going to set my alarm for 9am because if I didn't I would end up sleeping until 2pm, which would make for a short DOA4 day. Shortly thereafter, I will be online playing DOA. I have only beaten the story mode twice (with the first 2 chicks on the list). I plan to be on most of the day, since my wife has to work. Of course I'll take the normal bathroom and food breaks, but I'm gonna log some hours tomorrow. I'll probably have to take a break to watch a movie or two when the wife gets home from work, but I'm determined to get better. I'll start by unlocking the characters. Depending on how long that takes me, I'll then start working on the costumes. I don't know why I felt like sharing this, and I'm sure no one really cares. I guess I just want to let those of you with DOA know that I'll be around for some matches. If anyone wants an easy win, feel free to send me an invite.
Pathetic as it seems that sounds like a pretty cool day to me, you've got all the makings of a perfect day Video Games, DVDs, Food, a little extra cirricular activity with the wife, hopefully some booze too.

I'll try to get on at some point tomorrow and play if you feel like it at the time send me an invite. I actually think I'm going to get the stick tonight or tomorrow because it's fuckin cool, I'm gonna drop a couple hundred on DVDs and maybe a couple games for the DS, so I'll be entertained for a few days. Maybe you can get your wife to call in a discount for me Czar
Old 01-27-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't been able to find either the guide or the stick around here. The guide i would definately pick up. The stick i keep going back and forth on, i enjoy the fact i'm developing the D-Pad callous from playing fighting games again.
Old 01-28-06, 07:33 PM

I haven't been able to find either the guide or the stick around here. The guide i would definately pick up. The stick i keep going back and forth on, i enjoy the fact i'm developing the D-Pad callous from playing fighting games again.
I just picked up the guide at Best Buy but the stick is an impossibility.
Old 01-30-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Beandip and I played almost 90 matches last night.

Too bad no one else was online.
Old 01-30-06, 08:08 AM

I didn't get home till late last night. I'm sure I'll play some tonight though; I still can't find the joystick in-store anywhere around here
Old 01-30-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually didn't get much in playing with anyone over the weekend either exept for when Canis and i were doing training to unlock system voices and chatting with each other. I did get to unlock my 100 wins online achievement. Now just for the 20 and 50 wins in a row online

Costume unlocking is terrible btw. I freaking hate Jann Lee.

I keep debating the joystick. I hate dropping the 50 bones on the thing by my god some of Ryu and Mariposas moves can't be done on the digital pad. I think i'll most likely skip the stick for now and use that cash to get my new broadband connection setup. That would probably make the most number of people happy
Old 01-30-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, costume unlocking does suck. I'm done with all of the regular characters and Spartan. Gen Fu and the other army dude are all I have left.

I spent the better part of an hour trying to unlock Gen Fu's costumes. I gave up for the evening. Anyone have any moves for Gen Fu to beat Alpha 2 of 3 times? I only got close once.
Old 01-30-06, 09:32 AM

Well, I'd call my DOA4 Saturday a pretty good success. I ended up waking up early, but I didn't start playing DOA until about 11am. I played until 8pm or so, with a 2 hour break in the middle to watch a movie. By the time I was finished playing, the ring finger and pinky finger on my right hand were cramping up, so I called it a night and switched to Halo and back to the regular 360 controller. Overall, I think the day helped me learn the basics. I was able to beat all of the story modes and open a few costumes. I started to play the time attack mode, but got frustrated so I switched to survival mode. I wanted the 20 win achievement. I got to 17 in a row with Ein and Christie, but couldn't quite make it to 20. I didn't really see anyone online that day which is weird because I played so long. I switched to Halo in the evening and a few DOAers showed up, but by then my hand hurt too badly to go back to DOA.

Apparently, Beandip and my connections don't like each other very much. We played a few matches last night, too, but the lag was so bad that people kept dropping out of the matches. It's weird because I'm able to play with martin5 and Jason Bourne 01 all of the time without any problems. Dave, you left to play Kameo just when a few of us showed up to play DOA. When we got down to just 2 of us left in DOA, we switched over to Halo. I saw you back online in DOA a few minutes later. Maybe next time?

Originally Posted by kakihara1
I didn't get home till late last night. I'm sure I'll play some tonight though; I still can't find the joystick in-store anywhere around here
There are still a few Gamestops and EB Games in my area with the arcade stick. I looked online for you, Martin, and there are a couple of Gamestops and EB Games within 50 miles of you that still had one or more instock. I wasn't sure how easy some of these places were to get to, though. If you go to gamestop.com or ebgames.com you can check instore availablility on all of their items. You can check yourself to see if any of the places are close enough to make the drive worth it. Or, if you really want one, I can pick one up for you and mail it to you or you could come get it from me at my office if you had any trips to Detroit planned.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.