Reload this Page >

PS2 Console Confusion 7000? 7500?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-17-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been a good boy this year so I figured Santa should get me Dragon Quest VIII and College Hoops 2K6. Maybe even the new Katamari.

Problem is when I tried to go and buy a console to play them on I notice the PS2 now has two different model numbers. 7000 and 7500 I think. Something like that. I tried a google search but got nothing but mod chip sites.

So my question is which one to get. I'm getting an extended warranty so that is not a big worry, but I'm not sure if Sony has added something new or taken something away with the new version. There has to be something different about the different model number.

Which one should I get?
Old 12-17-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are like twenty different PS2 model numbers. Just buy one.
Old 12-17-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured it out. Its 70001 and 75001. I left out a number. Basically for anyone curious the differences are very minor. Sony has just made a more efficient chipset something Microsoft and Nintendo have done as well over the years. There is nothing that I can find added like they did with the + systems a few years back and nothing substracted hardware wise.

They only downside is a few more games have been added that are not fully compatible with the 75001 but not much that will effect me other than PSone games and I still have a PSone. I'll get the 70001 if I have the choice, but the 75001 seems fine as well. Most of the games play, but have minor issues like longer save times. Nothing really major from what I have read.

Here is the game list direct from Sony in case anyone is getting a PS2 in the near future.

PlayStation®2 (MODEL SCPH-75001) SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY ALERT
PlayStation 2 format software
Title Name Publisher
ATV Offroad Fury™ 3 SCEA
Big Mutha Truckers™ THQ
Big Mutha Truckers™ 2 THQ
ESPN NBA 2K5 Sega
Everquest® Online Adventures: Frontiers™ Sony Online Entertainment
F1 2001 Electronic Arts
F1 2002 Electronic Arts
Fight Night Round 2 Electronic Arts
Ghost Recon™: Jungle Storm™ (Tom Clancy's) Ubi Soft
Major League Baseball 2K5 (ESPN) Take Two
SRS: Street Racing Syndicate™ Namco
Tiger Woods PGA Tour® 2005 Electronic Arts

Tomorrow Never Dies (007) Electronic Arts

PlayStation format software
Title Name Publisher
102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue Eidos
Akuji: The Heartless Crystal Dynamics
Barbie: Race and Ride Mattel
Broken Helix Konami
Bubsy® 3D Accolade
Driver GT Interactive
Gundam Battle Assault Bandai
Hive, The Trimark
Hooters: Road Trip Ubi Soft
In Cold Blood™ Dreamcatcher
Jampack Vol. 2 SCEA
Land Before Time™: Great Valley Racing Adventure™ Sound Source Interactive
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete Working Designs
NFL Xtreme SCEA
NHL® 2000 Electronic Arts
NHL® 2001 Electronic Arts
NHL® Blades of Steel® 2000 Konami
NHL® Rock the Rink Electronic Arts
Nuclear Strike™ Electronic Arts
One ASC Games
PO'ed Accolade
Powerboat Racing (VR Sports) Interplay
Rascal Psygnosis
Rush Down Electronic Arts
Sentient™ Psygnosis
Speed Punks SCEA
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo Capcom
Syphon Filter™ 2 SCEA
Syphon Filter™ 3 SCEA
UFC: Ultimate Fighting Championship™ Crave Entertainment
Worms™ Ocean of America
The fact Big Mutha Truckers doesn't work on the new console should be a feature instead of an issue.

Last edited by darkside; 12-17-05 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-17-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
The fact Big Mutha Truckers doesn't work on the new console should be a feature instead of an issue.
Yeah, those games are horrible, but the names are so stupid that they are amusing in a "oh my god what is the world coming to sort of way". Especially the subtitle on the 2nd one, Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder.
Old 12-18-05, 10:57 AM

Oh lovely. I just bought Off Road Fury 3 for my son and we have the 75001 model. I couldn't find much detail on that specific game and it's issues. I guess I should exchange it for Off Road Fury 2.
Old 12-18-05, 11:03 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the chipset being used in 75001 is the same one they are going to put in the PS3. If that is the case, then we have our list of incompatable titles for the PS3 now.
Old 12-18-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John-In-VA
Oh lovely. I just bought Off Road Fury 3 for my son and we have the 75001 model. I couldn't find much detail on that specific game and it's issues. I guess I should exchange it for Off Road Fury 2.
I looked everywhere, but could not find good details of the specific issues with the games on the list. They said it could be stuff like long saves times or occasional freeze ups, but Sony does not list each problem individually for the games. Don't know if the issues with Off Road Fury are so minor you may not notice them or a major freeze up of save issue.

Probably safest to avoid the games on the list if possible though. I looked again today and most stores still have 70001 models in stock so getting one should not be a major issue at least not yet for people shopping for one for Christmas.

I also found an article saying this new chipset will probably be the exact one used in the PS3 so expect this list to carry over to that console as mentioned above.

Its a pretty small percentage of total PS2 games so I don't find it a major issue, but I would love to know the reasons for the problems. Developer shortcuts in programming?
Old 12-18-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm Lunar 2 is a bit of a shame, but that might have already been on the old list, I'm not sure.. a couple of notable ps2 titles there, Ghost Recon, and Tiger Woods. I wonder what they do which is so special?
Old 12-19-05, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I looked everywhere, but could not find good details of the specific issues with the games on the list. They said it could be stuff like long saves times or occasional freeze ups, but Sony does not list each problem individually for the games. Don't know if the issues with Off Road Fury are so minor you may not notice them or a major freeze up of save issue.

Probably safest to avoid the games on the list if possible though. I looked again today and most stores still have 70001 models in stock so getting one should not be a major issue at least not yet for people shopping for one for Christmas.

I also found an article saying this new chipset will probably be the exact one used in the PS3 so expect this list to carry over to that console as mentioned above.

Its a pretty small percentage of total PS2 games so I don't find it a major issue, but I would love to know the reasons for the problems. Developer shortcuts in programming?
Thanks for your reply darkside. I'll just return the game since there's no way to know if it's an "ignorable" problem or a pain the arse.