Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox 360 Controller - Best Controller Ever?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-16-05, 01:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thing is the best thing since sliced bread. I give tons of credit to Wave Bird for leading the way with 900mhz technology but MS has taken it to a whole new level with turning the console on and off along with still including rumble. It's also extremely comfortable to hold with perfect button placement. The 360 may not have the games for everyone, but the quality of this controller cannot be denied.
Old 12-16-05, 01:51 PM

It is up there. Wireless has set me free.
Old 12-16-05, 01:53 PM

I just got my XBox 360 yesterday Story Here and I know that it comes with 1 wireless controller. I still need to buy 3 more wireless controllers. How much is retail, $60? Where is the cheapest place to get them these days?

Chris
Old 12-16-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love it. No 360 games I'll play for a LONG time but I want one to use on my PS2 something fierce.
Old 12-16-05, 02:08 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I just got my XBox 360 yesterday Story Here and I know that it comes with 1 wireless controller. I still need to buy 3 more wireless controllers. How much is retail, $60? Where is the cheapest place to get them these days?

Chris
Retail is $49.99

If you have a Media Play near you, and they have some in stock, they are 20%off making them $39.99 + tax.
Old 12-16-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, check cheapassgamer.com for some Best Buy coupon scans also for $10 off Video Game Accessories

I LOVE this controller...and I ONLY used the DUKE for XBOX. My first wireless controller actually, and it's great. I like how I can turn my system on and off w/o getting up
Old 12-16-05, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Retail is $49.99

If you have a Media Play near you, and they have some in stock, they are 20%off making them $39.99 + tax.
Damn, the closest one to LA is 335 miles away. I don't think the $10 savings justifies the cost of gas!

Chris
Old 12-16-05, 02:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Or there is the coupong that DJ mentions which will give you the same savings.
Old 12-16-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Duke. I love that name.
Old 12-16-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Close to the best. I'd still give the edge to the gamecube or N64(yes, I thought it was comfy as hell).

The powerbutton is nice, and the controller is comfortable, but the way I wrap my index fingers around to the triggers I accidentally bump the black/white buttons whatever they are called now.

The gamecube is perfect form. So comfy you forget you are holding a controller. Especially the wavebird.

And N64 while it looks awkward it was quite ergonomic.
Old 12-16-05, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Or there is the coupong that DJ mentions which will give you the same savings.

Yes, I'm looking at those right now!

Chris
Old 12-16-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It is a very good controller... and the range/battery life and responsiveness is much better than the Logitech PS2/Xbox ones. The Wavebird is also excellent, but lacks rumble.

My main problem with it is... those black/white buttons on the shoulders are really crappy. I like the placement a lot better, but they're still not that useful. I'm not sure I could use them on a game like SSX or NBA Street if the buttons were mapped like a PS2 controller's.

So the play and charge kit just charges the unit, right? It doesn't enable control over the USB port? The controller is still just using wireless?
Old 12-16-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Close to the best. I'd still give the edge to the gamecube or N64(yes, I thought it was comfy as hell).

The powerbutton is nice, and the controller is comfortable, but the way I wrap my index fingers around to the triggers I accidentally bump the black/white buttons whatever they are called now.

The gamecube is perfect form. So comfy you forget you are holding a controller. Especially the wavebird.

And N64 while it looks awkward it was quite ergonomic.
To me the Gamecube controller loses points because it lacks versatility for lots of different games. The yellow camera stick should have been a full sized analog stick and they should have used a more conventional face button layout. It would have lost little comfort and been a better all around controller.

I used to love the N64 controller in it's time. The only thing i didn't like about it was how quickly the analog stick would wear out and lose smoothness.

Last edited by Puzznic; 12-16-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After getting over hitting the Guide button all the time because of my huge thumbs I agree that the controller was very well thought out. I've turned off the rumble feature for now but I'm still glad they were able to include it. The bumper buttons are also a vast improvement over the B&W buttons.
Old 12-16-05, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll

Chris
As mentioned before CAG.com is a good place to keep an eye on: http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...ductid=3452122

$39 for the controller, if you spend $50 you get free shipping.
Old 12-16-05, 09:32 PM

Cough...Wavebird...Cough.
One of THE BEST wireless controllers period.

Mod Note: Threadcrapping is NOT tolerated. Please read this thread for a complete understanding of what we expect in this forum: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172249

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 12-16-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this the 'One/Only XBox 360 Controller Thread'?

This controller may be good, but I'm looking forward to the Revolution controller.

= J
Old 12-16-05, 09:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Is this the 'One/Only XBox 360 Controller Thread'?

This controller may be good, but I'm looking forward to the Revolution controller.

= J
Yes it is, I figured since "Other Forum" has a "One/Only I slit my wrists and I'm an attention whore" I figured what the hell.
Old 12-16-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually it isn't. The title contains: "Best Controller Ever?" Which is clearly setup for debate/discussion.
Old 12-16-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When I tried it at E3, I thought it was a marvelous controller. Hopefully a friend will pick up a 360 soon so I can use it for a longer period of time, but my first impressions of it were great in terms of comfort and use.

Of course, I'm one of the rare people who don't think the Dual Shock 2 is "all that"
Old 12-16-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 360 controller gets an A in my book for conventional controllers. I still find the gamecube controller more comfortable and intuitive however, so I guess I would have to disagree. The GC controller does suck for some games, but is awesome for others.

Realistically a controller is only as good as the games designed for it; I'm sure as time goes on we will get a much clearer picture of how the design is going to hold up till ~2010.
Old 12-17-05, 12:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
The 360 controller gets an A in my book for conventional controllers. I still find the gamecube controller more comfortable and intuitive however, so I guess I would have to disagree. The GC controller does suck for some games, but is awesome for others.

Realistically a controller is only as good as the games designed for it; I'm sure as time goes on we will get a much clearer picture of how the design is going to hold up till ~2010.
Ah hell they probably have Xbox 720 coming out in 2007
Old 12-17-05, 01:40 AM

For me, it doesn't get any better than the "bone" controllers that come with the new school, top-loading NES from the early 90s. Two regular buttons, two skinny buttons and the + pad ... That is where it is at!

I am actually quite fond of an older controller by Microsoft ... the original Sidewinder. I still use it on my PC; I know all of this non-analog talk may be out of touch with the current gaming scene, but the Sidewinder still does the job.

I play most of my PS2 games tethered to the machine. I use a wireless controller by Pelican on occasion, and that is pretty good.

What (third party) wireless controller for the PS2 is considered the best?
Old 12-17-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree that it's the best controller ever, its a perfect fit in my hands, comfortable and light. The no wires is also a godsend. But like someone else , its too friggin bad that the next game I want to play is months away
Old 12-17-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Yes it is, I figured since "Other Forum" has a "One/Only I slit my wrists and I'm an attention whore" I figured what the hell.
Not sure I get that one...

As for the person who asked which third party wireless controllers are the best for the PS2...

Logitech.

= J

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.