Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I think HD gaming has cured my FPS motion sickness

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 09:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think HD gaming has cured my FPS motion sickness

My name is Gallant Pig, and I am prone to FPS motion sickness. However now that I've been playing my Xbox 360 with such games as COD2 and Perfect Dark I no longer experience this motion sickness. I have given myself to a higher power (HD Gaming) and admit I have no control over this.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with HD gaming?
Old 12-13-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

dude, if this is true, do you think my health insurance will pay for an HD TV for me if I claim motion sickness?
Old 12-13-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
My name is Gallant Pig, and I am prone to FPS motion sickness. However now that I've been playing my Xbox 360 with such games as COD2 and Perfect Dark I no longer experience this motion sickness. I have given myself to a higher power (HD Gaming) and admit I have no control over this.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with HD gaming?
really? Mine seems worse - like 20-30 minutes of either game and I start feeling like I'm gonna puke. I will say that it has improved with driving games. I've been playing the Need for Speed demo a lot and haven't felt that bad. Maybe I just need to play more!
Old 12-13-05, 10:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Daryl
really? Mine seems worse - like 20-30 minutes of either game and I start feeling like I'm gonna puke. I will say that it has improved with driving games. I've been playing the Need for Speed demo a lot and haven't felt that bad. Maybe I just need to play more!
I could never play Halo or Halo 2 that long without feeling crappy afterward. It always sucked. I'm using a 30" widescreen DirectView Wega. Not sure what you are gaming on, if it's DLP that could be the cause.
Old 12-13-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been playing FPS on PC for years (5 years online), I never had problem with “motion sickness.” I have played Burnout series on my Xbox and no problem. I don't think I ever had the problem with it.
Old 12-13-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure what you are gaming on, if it's DLP that could be the cause.
man, I can't even watch regular TV on a DLP for longer than an hour before I get sick (yes, I'm a wimp). I just have a 57" Hitachi rear projection HDTV. One problem may be my viewing distance is probably a foot or two closer than optimal.

Twisted Metal for the PS1 was the first game that just killed me back in the day, then all of the Grand Theft Auto's until someone on this forum told me about the option to turn trails off, which made all the difference in the world.
Old 12-13-05, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl

I have a friend that is in the same boat. HDTV makes him feel sick. He finally got to play PD0 last weekend, lasted about 15 minutes before he couldn't take it anymore.
Old 12-14-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
I'm wondering how close people sit to their TV.

I will get motion sickness when playing closer to the TV, but further away from it and I'm fine.
Old 12-14-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never got it playing Halo 2 (but I only play it online). Used to sit about 7 feet away (used wired controller for headset) from my 51" widescreen. I first "encountered" it while playing Unreal Championship 2. Then Timesplitters 3, Mechassault 2, and so on. But still no problems with Halo 2. Now I sit 10-12 feet back. I play COD2 and PD0 in short sessions, usually 30-60 minutes. When I finish, I start feeling a little queezy. I usually play in the dark, so I am hoping turning the lights on will help.

I have always been prone to motion sickness whether it be on the ocean or on carnival rides, but this is the first that I have experienced while playing a game, but there is no going back to 27"...now if only Zophran was available in a generic...
Old 12-14-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Buncha lightweights...

Old 12-14-05, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember getting some motion sickness with Wolfenstein 3D, but that's about it. I eventually got used to it though and no more motion sickness.
Old 12-14-05, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm wondering how close people sit to their TV.

I will get motion sickness when playing closer to the TV, but further away from it and I'm fine.
The person I refer to was about 10 feet away from the screen.
Old 12-14-05, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Buncha lightweights...

I agree.

I play FPS games more than any other genre. I do 10-12 hour FPS marathons a lot, and I never get sick. Has anyone here played Aliens vs Predator 2 on the PC? When you play as an Alien, you can climb on walls and ceilings and hang upside down. The way the camera weaves around when you do this is very disorienting. It is the most disorienting FPS I have played, and it still never made me sick.
Old 12-14-05, 10:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I have a friend that is in the same boat. HDTV makes him feel sick. He finally got to play PD0 last weekend, lasted about 15 minutes before he couldn't take it anymore.
HDTV? Not sure how they even makes sense. Is it DLP?
Old 12-14-05, 10:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I agree.

I play FPS games more than any other genre. I do 10-12 hour FPS marathons a lot, and I never get sick. Has anyone here played Aliens vs Predator 2 on the PC? When you play as an Alien, you can climb on walls and ceilings and hang upside down. The way the camera weaves around when you do this is very disorienting. It is the most disorienting FPS I have played, and it still never made me sick.
Last night I was playing close to the TV with the lights off for a while, and later went to bed and felt fine. I am no longer a lightweight.
Old 12-14-05, 10:25 AM
Retired

Could be a size issue, Gallant's not getting it on a 30" and those that are still getting it seem to be playing on larger HDTVs.
Old 12-14-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
HDTV? Not sure how they even makes sense. Is it DLP?
I notice you keep singling out/drawing attention to DLP's, what is it about DLP that would give someone motion sickness and not any other kind of tv?

I have a DLP at home and have never experienced any motion sickness, although i never had it from gaming of any kind either.

Last edited by Maxflier; 12-14-05 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 11:09 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 60" RPLCD and never had a problem. I sit about 8 feet away sometimes when im really into a game. The only problem I have is my contact lenses will dry out and fall off so I switch to glasses, then I can stare away for hours. lol
Old 12-14-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Buncha lightweights...

LOL!

Actually, the claims about DLP are true. The rainbowing effect alone was enough to give me a headache. However, I don't know what current DLP systems are like. Supposedly they've got more colors on the color wheel and a faster spinning wheel.
I'll stick with LCoS.

Last edited by Centurion; 12-14-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
I occasionally do get sick from FPS but it is highly dependent on the game. And actually a amller screen and sometimes turned down graphics helps. Luckily I don't get sick from either of the two Halos.
Old 12-14-05, 12:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only experienced motion sickness from playing the PSP in a car, on Tony Hawk UG2 and GTA:LCS. Lumines, NES emulators, and movies didn't have any effect on me. Also, I started getting extreme torso pains from prolonged playing of GTA:LCS, and that's just from playing it in my apartment for prolonged amounts of times. Don't really know what that was. That was a weird pain that lasted for hours after I stopped playing, and sometimes into the next day. And it only happened after playing that game.
Old 12-14-05, 12:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Could be a size issue, Gallant's not getting it on a 30" and those that are still getting it seem to be playing on larger HDTVs.
I did get it on my 30" with FPS games like Halo 1/2, and before that on my 27". Last night I was playing Perfect Dark and COD2 and I felt great afterward. I think it's the sharpness of the HD, the high resolution that makes it better. I dunno, either way I'm really happy about this.
Old 12-14-05, 01:03 PM

i still get motion sickness playing halo/half life 2 on my 42" hd. i can't play for more than 30 mins at a time. it's funny cause i can read while riding in a car, but not this.. back when i was coding for a game company, I noticed the games with varying (i.e. not constant) framerates tend to get me (duh).

Last edited by nodoubt; 12-14-05 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 02:47 PM

lmfao!! I thought this was a total joke till about a year ago; Epilepsy=yes motion sickness from a game= WTF! are you kidding me.

I've never had this happen to me, but Beandip0001 has when he got Crimson Skies he was super excited about it and then a couple days later when I asked how he liked it he said "I can't play it dude it makes me sick" lol of course I made fun of him. But then I started to see that it happened to alot of people which made me wonder why.

He was playing his xbox on a 19" LCD monitor with a fast refresh (no ghosting)

I play on a 48" I`art and have no problems; I also sit damn close to my tv when I play.

I'm thinking that maybe some people have a hard time focusing on the focal point of the screen and maybe thier eyes wonder around a bit and the motion causes them to get sick. Do any of you guys that have problems with this have astigmatism (spelling?)?? Or some other eye disorder. Maybe playing in a dark or light room is a factor.

The only time I've ever felt motion sickness was from using my laptop at Toyota proving grounds a few years ago while on a test track; I tossed my cookies all over a guard rail
Old 12-14-05, 03:38 PM

I think it's more a frame rate issue than anything else with me. I can play just about any game for hours, but games with bad or inconsistent frame rates make me feel queezy. I have a friend that literally starts to look like shit after a few minutes of FPS's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.