Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DVDTalk's 10 Most Overlooked Videogames

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
loved NCAA basketball for the SNES. I used to play as UNC and just hit every single 3-pointer with Davison (the SF). That guy was a beast.
Yet another game that was simply amazing for the time. Loved that game.

I would also like to vote for Ken Griffey Jr Baseball (SNES). Besides Baseball Stars, it was the only early generations baseball game that was any decent.

Thumbs up to Joe Molotov for Mystical Ninja, I loved that game.
Old 12-08-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=gimmepilotwings

I would also like to vote for Ken Griffey Jr Baseball (SNES). Besides Baseball Stars, it was the only early generations baseball game that was any decent.

.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but only the first Ken Griffey game. The second (Winning Run) sucked--way too hard, and not fun at all. The first was yummy though, and I loved all of the interesting names.

Super Baseball 2020 was good as well. Nothing beats Basewards for the NES though!!!
Old 12-08-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty well-known by now, but I'd like to nominate Dragon Warrior IV for the NES. By the time it was released, most everyone I knew had gone on to the SNES and basically abandoned the original. DW4 was (and still is) a lesser-known gem from the ol' 8-bit days.

On a lighter note, I'd also like to nominate Chase the Chuck Wagon for the Atari 2600.
Old 12-08-05, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Yea, but only the first Ken Griffey game. The second (Winning Run) sucked--way too hard, and not fun at all. The first was yummy though, and I loved all of the interesting names.

Super Baseball 2020 was good as well. Nothing beats Basewards for the NES though!!!
I am going to take back my own post. Basewars was decent and Baseball Simulator 1000 was not bad either.
Old 12-08-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Games that only I seemed to have played and loved:

Cosmic Smash - DC, Import. I love this game - it was pong, akranoid in one with a really bitchin soundtrack.

Puyo Puyon - DC, Import. I know they made a version over here for the GC & GBA but this incarnation of i was my favorite.

Magical Drops 3 - Neo Geo. We have intense Magical Drop battles in my house that last for hours. The priestess is my favorite character to play with.

Ragnarok Online - PC, MMORPG. This silly, cute 2d sprite had me hooked for over a year. They even went P2P and I still was hooked.

Star Soldier - NES. My favorite shooter for the NES.
Old 12-08-05, 03:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuman
Right on. That was an awesome basketball game. I clocked in a lot of hours with that one. I forgot that Nintendo was the developer for this one. I remember there were players you could use on Duke and possibly the Kansas Jayhawks where you could make almost 100% of 3's attempted at half court. Also, if I remember correctly the name of the center on Duke was something like Rooney. I can't believe I still remember that. Here is the cover.

I'll stick with "Double Dribble"!
Old 12-08-05, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by scott1598
I'll stick with "Double Dribble"!
what about Arch Rivals?
Old 12-08-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by squidget
Magical Drops 3 - Neo Geo. We have intense Magical Drop battles in my house that last for hours. The priestess is my favorite character to play with.

Star Soldier - NES. My favorite shooter for the NES.
Wow, you still have a Neo Geo. That's one of the few systems I don't own. What other games do you have?

It's sequel "Super Star Soldier" on the TG-16 was pretty awesome too.
Old 12-08-05, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by mano365
Wow, you still have a Neo Geo. That's one of the few systems I don't own. What other games do you have?

It's sequel "Super Star Soldier" on the TG-16 was pretty awesome too.
A big red too. I have Puzzle Bobble, Twinkle Star Sprites (finally), Blazing Star, Samurai Shodown II, Metal Slug 3 & Last Blade 2
Old 12-08-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could go on about Eternal Darkness and Beyond Good and Evil, but everyone here pretty much knows about those.

I will say a game I never see mentioned often is Beetle Adventure Racing for the N64. I have rarely had more fun with any other game. It had the perfect balance of challenge and fun, plus it was a great multiplayer game. Those battle boards were fantastic.

Also Freedom Force for the PC (and to a lesser degree, its sequel) is a woefully overlooked game. Most who play it seem to really enjoy it, but it was one of those games that didn't find it's audience. If you threw a "featuring Marvel/DC" characters on the box it probably would have flown off the shelves. I don't know, but it really breaks my heart to see such a great game get ignored.
Old 12-08-05, 09:16 PM

Deathrow for Xbox took a lot of heat for the cussing in it, but even though it was an early title, it was remarkably deep and had outstanding play mechanics. It's not exactly under the radar as many media reviewer types would scream "PLAY THIS GAME" and still no one did... much like Beyond Good and Evil.
Old 12-08-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Wacky Races - Dreamcast = Its a racer based on the cartoon. That thing wasn't easy either for kids game. Or maybe I'm just old.

Toy Commander - Dreamcast = You play as a bunch of toys doing stuff like racing and fighting. You play instead a house so you will do things like drive a rc car over cat bowl or something like that.

Civ1 - Super Nintendo - I bet you didn't even know the game came out for nintedo. I played that thing a lot.
Old 12-09-05, 01:10 AM

Outlaws - PC
Interstate '76 - PC
Battlezone (1998) - PC
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter - PC (Most don't consider this even near the best in series, but the addition of multiplayer delivered the goods for me)
Balls of Steel - PC (Still one of my favorite pinball video games, with Duke Nukem table)
Death Rally - PC (Cool top-down racer; also featured Duke)
Mighty Final Fight - NES (Fun take on FF license by Capcom)
And then, three GB games ...
Donkey Kong (1994), Kirby's Pinball Land, and Mole Mania

Honorable mentions recognized by others on the board would be Luigi's Mansion, Ken Griffey Jr. (the original on SNES), and NCAA Basketball; a couple of late considerations by me are Pikman and Kirby's Dream Course (SNES).

Not sure if all of my games qualify as overlooked, but those are what popped to mind.
Old 12-09-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh I forgot all about Kirby's Dream Course. That was one fun game.
Old 12-09-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kirby's Pinball for gameboy was very fun also.
Old 12-09-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I agree 100% with the votes for the original Ken Griffey baseball on SNES. I logged a LOT of hours on that game. And it didn't hurt that it was from the one season where my Expos had the best team in the league either so i would always finish the season with an awesome record.
I would still be playing the hell out of it to this day if my SNES wasn't broken and I don't even like baseball anymore.
Old 12-09-05, 12:10 PM

Glad to see so many gamers in agreement with me on NCAA Basketball for SNES.

Personally, I used to wreck shop with Oklahoma State. They had an unstoppable center and almost everyone on their team was money from the arc.

Also, World Series Baseball for the Saturn. It was the first fun baseball game for me.

And I don't know if it would be considered "overlooked", but Nights: into Dreams for the Saturn was awesome.
Old 12-09-05, 12:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I agree 100% with the votes for the original Ken Griffey baseball on SNES.
Yep, 100% my all time favorite baseball game. The N64 version was decent as well, but not as good.
Old 12-09-05, 02:12 PM

Completely forgot about Virtual On for the Saturn and later the Dreamcast.

I even have the twin sticks.
Old 12-09-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to play Virtua-On in the arcades for quarters end, is the DC version worth it (my Saturn is broke).
Old 12-09-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
I used to play Virtua-On in the arcades for quarters end, is the DC version worth it (my Saturn is broke).
Yea, VO:OT (Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram) on DC is top notch.
Old 12-09-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by mano365
Yea, VO:OT (Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram) on DC is top notch.
But avoid that crap that they put out on the PS2. You know, i thought for once I'd have fun playing a VO game because of the dual controllers on the PS2 pad. Nope.

Not that the other games aren't fun without the specified controllers, but they do make it a lot better... just couldn't justify spending that much money for one game. (Ok, I did buy the PS2 HDD, but I really thought more games would use it... really)
Old 12-10-05, 08:05 AM

Victorious Boxers - PS2
RAD/Robot Alchemic Drive PS2
Rollcage - PSX
Gran Prix Challenge - PS2

I'm sure I've got more but all my stuff is packed at the moment as were in the proccess of a moving.

I bought my wife Intelligent Cube for Christmas years ago I think she played it once and it's been on the shelf ever since.
The case, instructions and disc are in mint condition I won't part with it as I try never to sell any of my games, I'll have to pop it in sometime just to see what the fuss is about.

Last edited by psxfan2; 12-10-05 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-10-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Ah, Victorious Boxers! Hajime No Ippo goodness. Presentation is pretty barebones, and I am a huge fan of the series, so I'm biased, but I love that game. Wish it did well enough for the sequels to come out.

R.A.D.: I'd still be playing this if my dumb PS2 was still able to play blue-backed games. Saving it for when I eventually get a slimline.

I'd also like to add:
Firepro Wrestling (GBA): finally they bring the firepro brand out to the US, though only for the GBA. I'm pretty sure it did worse than the dreck that the WWE licensor put out, but it's truly an amazing game, and the series doesn't suffer as much from the graphical limitations of the GBA.

Ultimate Muscle (GCN, then PS2): Ok, I love Kinnikuman, so again I'm biased. And if you want to see the origin of Samoa Joes musclebuster, well, here you go. Made by the same people that made the brilliant N64 wrestling games. Not as technically good as those, but a decent wrestling-based over-the-top fighting game. The PS2 lost the cell shading of the GCN, but added tons of characters. I'm just glad they added a lot of "legends" from the first show.

Tactics Ogre (GBA): I don't remember how much buzz this got when it first came out, but I'm pretty sure it was pretty much overlooked after FFTactics Advance came out.
Old 12-10-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Tactics Ogre (GBA): I don't remember how much buzz this got when it first came out, but I'm pretty sure it was pretty much overlooked after FFTactics Advance came out.
It was alot better than Final Fantasy Tactics Advance too, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.