Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Thats not really the PS2 in those BLACK videos on IGN right?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thats not really the PS2 in those BLACK videos on IGN right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bah the ending is the worse ever.
Spoiler:
You're blowing shit up and then there is the normal end of mission screen, then a short cut scene that explains that one random generic soldiers that you just killed wasn't the bad guy like you thought it was then credits.
Old 02-28-06, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just started the Xbox version and while it may look impressive there are already 3 HUGE negatives against it...

- As mentioned lack of multiplayer... this should almost be required of any FPS.

- Lame save game mechanism. I understand why some games don't want to have mid level saves but in combination w/ the 3rd complaint this is silly.

- Non-skippable cut scenes. Once is enough... the fact the save game puts you at the beginning of the level (before the cut scene) you have to replay the cut scene before starting the level after loading the game fresh

Overall I'm glad I rented it. We'll see how it plays out but so far it is definately a wait for the discounts to kick in in a couple of months.
Old 03-01-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it yesterday.
Unskippable cut scenes and intro (unless they are to load the game) should be a federal offense.
The US government should storm Criterion's office and arrest everyone.
There is no excuse for this. Some of us don't care about the story especially when it has little to do with the gameplay.
It just smells like artificially extending playtime.

I'm liking the game but having to fill the soldier with 20 rounds to kill them gets tedious after awhile.
I expected more variety of weapons and so far, there are about 3 types in the first 2 levels. (gun, AK, and shotgun).

I would have loved being able to play more stealthy but it doesn't seem to work that way.

The 2 weapon only system works in Perfect Dark Zero, not this game. If you want to build your game around weapons and destruction, let me carry as much as I want.

The graphics that were being praised in the thread title, ended up being not that great.

It looks like it is, a port of a nice looking PS2 game. There are jaggies (even in 480p) and the textures are unimpressive. It doesn't hold a candle to Chaos Theory or even Half Life 2.

I may be able to understand no in level game save because it is a PS2 game but they need to have more checkpoints that are saveable. I ended up playing an hour more than I wanted to because I was afraid have having to start at the beginning again.

So far, I'm enjoying it for what it is, but the reviews were spot on for it.
Old 03-01-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Picked it up for the PS2 and I'm lovin' it. Yes, the forced cutscenes are a travesty (I don't need dramatic plot; just let me gets ta shootin'), and YES, it's ridiculous to have to shoot someone 20 times for him to go down (but then again I don't want to go down the first time I'm shot either). But the graphics look amazing on my 47" widescreen and the sound's tremendous too. For $39.99 it was definitely worth a buy.
Old 03-01-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
- Non-skippable cut scenes. Once is enough... the fact the save game puts you at the beginning of the level (before the cut scene) you have to replay the cut scene before starting the level after loading the game fresh
YES!

This is, by far, the worst aspect of the game. It wouldn't be so bad if the cut-scenes were actually any good, but they are some of the worst written, acted and excecuted cut-scenes I've ever seen this side of Sega-CD.

And it wouldn't really be too bad if I could skip them - but I CAN'T! And my frustration is compounded when I have to repeat a mission and I have to sit through the fucking cut-scene AGAIN. ARGH! I bought your damn game already! Now let me fucking PLAY it!!!
Old 03-01-06, 01:24 PM

Burnout Revenge was almost ruined for me because of Load screens. Does this game have a bunch?

To have to sit through 4 or 5 loads just to get to a scene you cant skip is hell to me.
Old 03-01-06, 06:31 PM

What's the recommended time limit on keeping the xbox on? That intro/cut scene thing is so annoying I may just leave it on until I finish the game
Old 03-01-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the recommended time limit on keeping the xbox on? That intro/cut scene thing is so annoying I may just leave it on until I finish the game
I checked the total time played for my profile and it said 5 hours 25 min. And I beat the game on Normal. I'm guessing if you beat every mission the first try you could have it beat in under 3.5 hours. So clear a saturday and that's all you'd have to leave it on for. Also for some reason after beating the game I can now skip the cut scenes. What a reward.
Old 03-01-06, 11:56 PM

How many levels are there total? I think I'm on 7 or 8 right now...
Old 03-02-06, 12:06 AM

It does not work on the 360 either. That sucks, as I have my HD setup with the 360, and would like to play the game here. Now I'll have to do the same w my Xbox. Really, all new games going forward, even if they're not for 360, should play in the new console. I'm already regretting getting the game....
Old 03-02-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad I read this thread. I was already almost totally against getting this game since it lacked multiplayer, but finding out it is not BC on Xbox360 and that you can't skip the cutscenes makes me glad I didn't get too interested in this one from the beginning.
Old 03-02-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How many levels are there total? I think I'm on 7 or 8 right now...
8 sounds right. If you are in an underground bunker by yourself you are on the last mission.
Old 03-02-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Darn. The IGN review makes this game tempting but discussion of it here makes me wary.
Old 03-02-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Spoiler:
You're blowing shit up and then there is the normal end of mission screen, then a short cut scene that explains that one random generic soldiers that you just killed wasn't the bad guy like you thought it was then credits.
Were you expecting a masterpiece storyline?
Old 03-02-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Were you expecting a masterpiece storyline?

No but it would have been nice to know you killed the terrorist leader or thought you did. At least seeing him would have been better instead of me lobbing grenades and then suddenly the scene goes dark and get the mission screen. And even worse is that the
Spoiler:
guy questioning you says that you didnt kill the bad guy and that you and your team are going to go get him. Then instead of getting what you think would be the last mission you get the credits.
Old 03-02-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
No but it would have been nice to know you killed the terrorist leader or thought you did. At least seeing him would have been better instead of me lobbing grenades and then suddenly the scene goes dark and get the mission screen. And even worse is that the
Spoiler:
guy questioning you says that you didnt kill the bad guy and that you and your team are going to go get him. Then instead of getting what you think would be the last mission you get the credits.
Well, in all fairness, this is the first part of a trilogy. Perhaps this was their lame attempt at a cliffhanger?

It does surprises me that they'd drop the ball so terribly storywise when one of the head developers was makinga big deal about how great the story was going to be. I was glad when I read that he wasn't wrong about how great the audio was going to be.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-02-06 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 11:57 PM

Well I just finished it... I think I may have been playing it wrong though since I didn't "run and gun" but took my time w/ short 3-shot bursts type thing. Even then it only took about 7 hours to finish the game. Along w/ the above "observations" I would like to add as people have talked about the lame storyline/"plot" and finally wrt game play itself... where did this guy learn how to throw a grenade I think it's probably the whimpiest throw I've ever seen in a game.
Old 03-06-06, 11:44 AM

my roomate got it for Xbox and I went to see it and almost left cause the damn cutscene in the beggining is so long and so crappy that I almost gave up waiting for the actual game. after watching the game I decided it is average at best and not worth waiting through the cutscenes for.
Old 03-06-06, 03:04 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I love the graphics, sound and gameplay overall, but my GOSH the time committement is almost too much.

There are checkpoints but NO save options until you totally finish an entire mission, which so far takes at least an hour at a time. Why on earth would they make it this way, esp. in a game that you basically just want to pop it in and start firing away?

Long forced cutscenes and no mission save points are way bigger negatives in this game than I first thought...
Old 03-06-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Just finished the game last night. 4 hours & 45 minutes...and that's with mostly all of the hidden stuff found. Oh well...it was still a blast!
Old 10-06-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Well, the game is now $17.99 at Fry's this weekend. Is it worth picking up at that price?
Old 10-06-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Spoiler:
Better than the MoH:AA ending.

Spoiler:
They show you get on a train, and then the credits roll. Whee!