Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

1/Only Xbox 360 Misc Topics (Xbox 360 in Japan, Xbox 360 Shortage in US)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

1/Only Xbox 360 Misc Topics (Xbox 360 in Japan, Xbox 360 Shortage in US)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 05:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I have to wonder how many of those zero feedback winners will actually come through and pay.... and how many of them are simply shills to drive up winning bids on other auctions so that their own auction will close higher.
From what I've been seeing and hearing, most are very legit. Like I said, this 360 is really driving the newbies to Ebay as buyers and sellers.
Old 12-07-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this an all time classic eBay auction or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-2-Kentu...QQcmdZViewItem

This is really crappy, but it points out clearly what's up, for those of you out there who are slow. http://owned360ebay.ytmnd.com/

He's already relisted the 360 though, but it's still funny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Core-Sy...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-07-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Is this an all time classic eBay auction or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-2-Kentu...QQcmdZViewItem
Pwned.
Old 12-07-05, 07:23 PM

Some good/cheap 360 accessories at computers4sure.com

Taken from cheapassgamer.com.

Xbox 360 wireless controllers $39 shipped and other 360 deals at Computers4Sure.com

Discuss in the forums Computers4SURE (an Office Depot company) has the Xbox 360 wireless controllers for $39 each.

You get free shipping when you spend $50, so if you order two (or find some other filler - see below), you are good to go.
Sales tax applies only to shipping addresses located in AA, CA, CT, DC, FL, HI, KS, LA, MA, MD, MS, NC, NE, RI, SD, TN, WI.

Most of their games/accessories are at least $5 below MSRP as well. You can use them to get your order to $50 and get free shipping.
Highlights (thanks, Msut77!):
Silver faceplate $16 ($20 MSRP)
Hot-Rod faceplate $16 ($20 MSRP)
64MB Memory Card $31 ($40 MSRP)
PDZ - Regular $45 ($50 MSRP)
PDZ - Collector's Editon $54 ($60 MSRP)
Xbox Live 3 Month Kit $33 ($40 MSRP: 3 month XBL Gold membership; XBL Arcade game: Joust; Xbox 360 Headset; $10 Xbox 360 Game Rebate Coupon; 100 Microsoft Points)
Xbox Live 12 Month Kit $57 ($70 MSRP: 12 month XBL Gold membership; XBL Arcade game: Bankshot Billiards; Xbox 360 Headset; $20 Xbox 360 Game Rebate Coupon; 200 Microsoft Points)
Logitech Harmony 360 Remote $92 ($130 MSRP)

The wireless controllers and the 12 month xbox live kit looks good (Mine runs out in january)

Here is that 12 month xbox live kit at ebgames for 70 bucks. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258830.asp

and gamestop.... http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802122

Last edited by mrmagoo; 12-07-05 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-10-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
United States software giant Microsoft went on the offensive on the home turf of its Japanese rivals on Saturday, launching its sleek new Xbox 360 console ahead of the holiday season.

About 200 game fans queued up for the main launch event that began at 7am local time at a music store in central Tokyo's fashionable Shibuya district.

"We signal the beginning of what we believe will be market leadership even here in Japan," Xbox marketing head Peter Moore said at the launch.

Yoshihiro Maruyama, who heads the Xbox division in Japan, said: "We are feeling a very positive response. We want this machine to attract a far [bigger] number of Japanese users than the previous model."

When Microsoft brought the first Xbox game console to Tokyo in 2002, it was nearly two years behind Sony's PlayStation 2 and it has trailed behind ever since. This time it is doing its utmost to avoid history repeating itself.

The next-generation Xbox 360, with a price tag of 39 795 yen ($330) comes ahead of next year's launch of PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Revolution.

The Xbox 360 is equipped with a DVD player capable of handling CDs and digital photographs through a built-in Windows Media Centre -- the same bundle of applications found in Microsoft's Windows XP PC operating system.

But despite its early market entry, consumers in Tokyo appeared muted on Saturday in their enthusiasm in contrast to the excitement generated at the console's US debut on November 22.

Only about 10 people were in line when a central Tokyo outlet of the Bic Camera consumer electronics chain opened its Xbox sales counter at 7am.

Customer reactions "are a bit subdued", a senior store official said, adding that less than 50 consoles were sold in the first two hours of the launch.

"It's not going to be a big hit in Japan," said Kentaro Okamoto (26), one of the first Xbox 360 buyers. "I buy every new game console ... but normally Japanese customers only buy a machine when it's made by Sony or Nintendo."

Hard-core gamers overlap with heavy computer users and many of them have a negative image toward Microsoft's Windows software because of its price, lack of after-sales support and unstable operating system, he said.

"Microsoft needs to make enormous efforts to overtake its Japanese competitors," Okamoto said.

Another buyer, Mayuko Taniguchi (28), said she knows she is in "a minority" of Japanese consumers who will buy the Microsoft console.

"I think many people would rather wait for PlayStation 3 or Revolution," she said.

Analysts say the first Xbox, which was launched in November 2001 and came to Japan in February 2002, flopped there in part due to a lack of games that appealed to local tastes. -- Sapa-AFP
Old 12-10-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
United States software giant Microsoft went on the offensive on the home turf of its Japanese rivals on Saturday, launching its sleek new Xbox 360 console ahead of the holiday season.

About 200 game fans queued up for the main launch event that began at 7am local time at a music store in central Tokyo's fashionable Shibuya district.

"We signal the beginning of what we believe will be market leadership even here in Japan," Xbox marketing head Peter Moore said at the launch.

Yoshihiro Maruyama, who heads the Xbox division in Japan, said: "We are feeling a very positive response. We want this machine to attract a far [bigger] number of Japanese users than the previous model."

When Microsoft brought the first Xbox game console to Tokyo in 2002, it was nearly two years behind Sony's PlayStation 2 and it has trailed behind ever since. This time it is doing its utmost to avoid history repeating itself.

The next-generation Xbox 360, with a price tag of 39 795 yen ($330) comes ahead of next year's launch of PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Revolution.

The Xbox 360 is equipped with a DVD player capable of handling CDs and digital photographs through a built-in Windows Media Centre -- the same bundle of applications found in Microsoft's Windows XP PC operating system.

But despite its early market entry, consumers in Tokyo appeared muted on Saturday in their enthusiasm in contrast to the excitement generated at the console's US debut on November 22.

Only about 10 people were in line when a central Tokyo outlet of the Bic Camera consumer electronics chain opened its Xbox sales counter at 7am.

Customer reactions "are a bit subdued", a senior store official said, adding that less than 50 consoles were sold in the first two hours of the launch.

"It's not going to be a big hit in Japan," said Kentaro Okamoto (26), one of the first Xbox 360 buyers. "I buy every new game console ... but normally Japanese customers only buy a machine when it's made by Sony or Nintendo."

Hard-core gamers overlap with heavy computer users and many of them have a negative image toward Microsoft's Windows software because of its price, lack of after-sales support and unstable operating system, he said.

"Microsoft needs to make enormous efforts to overtake its Japanese competitors," Okamoto said.

Another buyer, Mayuko Taniguchi (28), said she knows she is in "a minority" of Japanese consumers who will buy the Microsoft console.

"I think many people would rather wait for PlayStation 3 or Revolution," she said.

Analysts say the first Xbox, which was launched in November 2001 and came to Japan in February 2002, flopped there in part due to a lack of games that appealed to local tastes. -- Sapa-AFP

Good thing the diverted stock to the Japanese market and create a bunch of unhappy US gamers so 50 Japanese gamers could have a console.
Old 12-10-05, 06:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Pretty sad launch, but most definitely expected.

I hope they didn't send more than 10,000 of them over there.

Japan will never support an American console unless they spend money to buy the developer, end of story.
Old 12-11-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quick Q about the 360 wireless adapter. this is probably a stupid one too, so i apologize. can you use the wireless adapter if you have cable internet. i don't have any wireless stuff on my computer, do i need to install anything on my computer other than what comes with the 360 wireless network adapter?
Old 12-11-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
quick Q about the 360 wireless adapter. this is probably a stupid one too, so i apologize. can you use the wireless adapter if you have cable internet. i don't have any wireless stuff on my computer, do i need to install anything on my computer other than what comes with the 360 wireless network adapter?
do you have a wireless router?
Old 12-11-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sniper308
do you have a wireless router?
no but im getting one
Old 12-11-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw a lot of boxes, and even with some nice chicks doing promotion, it's not selling at all. Everyone was waiting for the 3N game to come out and now that it has not come out due to quality issues then the launch was not that good.You can pick up the game anytime you want to also.
X-Box 360 seems to be wasting a lot of good space in those electonics stores, with no buyers.Microsoft is using a lot of money and promotion to get new users but it's not working at all.US based games have no real effect or interest on the Japanese gamers
Old 12-11-05, 07:57 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Japan will never support an American console unless they spend money to buy the developer, end of story.
Yep, especially with that line up that doesn't at all cater to the Japanese tastes with mainly FPS, racing and sports games.
Old 12-11-05, 08:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Kumar J
I saw a lot of boxes, and even with some nice chicks doing promotion, it's not selling at all. Everyone was waiting for the 3N game to come out and now that it has not come out due to quality issues then the launch was not that good.You can pick up the game anytime you want to also.
X-Box 360 seems to be wasting a lot of good space in those electonics stores, with no buyers.Microsoft is using a lot of money and promotion to get new users but it's not working at all.US based games have no real effect or interest on the Japanese gamers
The sad part is that they diverted consoles that would have flew off the shelves here (or even Europe/Australia for that matter, anywhere but Japan). I wonder how many they shipped to Japan, anyone have that number?
Old 12-12-05, 01:39 AM

So you mean if I buy these , I can play USA games by importing them directly?
I can get like 50 of them anytime I want here.Some places are even giving some cash back plan if I buy the console
I got no numbers on the launch,but surely Microsoft Japan is not going to release them I think for now.For now everyone is just waiting for Nintendo and Sony.So far PSP is selling more with the 1GB value pack
Old 12-12-05, 07:57 AM
Banned

There is a rumor going around that some US games shipped without regional coding. That would make them playable on Japan systems (which are also NTSC). No mention on if that is a mistake, or something that will continue.

Anyone have an idea how the 360 did over the weekend in Japan?
Old 12-12-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmmmmm microsoft probably sold close to a 1000 country wide good thing they shipped so many there.
Old 12-12-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
OK. I've got my 360 pulling off audio and image files from my WinXP notebook (w/240GB external drive) using Windows Media Connect on my XP system. Has anyone been able to tweak their 360/WMC setup so that video can be shared? Officially, the only way to share video is to have Windows Media Center Edition.
Old 12-12-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So were there any games for the Japanese launch that weren't part of the US launch? What about Dead or Alive 4? I can't believe that after all this talk of improving the Japanese sales that they would launch with the same.. "selection" that was the US launch.
Old 12-12-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

maybe in five years from now after peter moore is fired on the xbox9000 they will have a good launch in japan.
Old 12-12-05, 12:10 PM
Suspended

There was a Mario Party-esque Japan only title that was available at launch, but other than that I don't believe there were any other exclusives.
Old 12-12-05, 03:10 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Not sure if this is nationwide, I assume it is, if there are Media Plays in other states.

Anyways, the Media Play stores in the Detroit metro area all have "Store Closing" signs. Everything is discounted.

Not a great deal on most things, as they are pretty high on cd and movie prices. At least the game prices are the same everywhere.

Anyways, the discounts currently are 10% of Video Games and 20% off accesories.

I picked up a 360 Memory card unit for $32 and a Play and Charge kit for $15

Not too bad, considering retail is $40 for the memory card and $20 for the play and charge kit.

They had wireless and wired controllers as well as headsets. Those were the only 360 accesories I saw.
Old 12-12-05, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Not sure if this is nationwide, I assume it is, if there are Media Plays in other states.

Anyways, the Media Play stores in the Detroit metro area all have "Store Closing" signs. Everything is discounted.

Not a great deal on most things, as they are pretty high on cd and movie prices. At least the game prices are the same everywhere.

Anyways, the discounts currently are 10% of Video Games and 20% off accesories.

I picked up a 360 Memory card unit for $32 and a Play and Charge kit for $15

Not too bad, considering retail is $40 for the memory card and $20 for the play and charge kit.

They had wireless and wired controllers as well as headsets. Those were the only 360 accesories I saw.

Unfortunetly its nationwide...

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/ci...2/daily10.html

http://news10now.com/content/top_sto...asp?ArID=55330

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...02/story1.html
Old 12-12-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

shortages are expected for awhile.

Eventually we will catch up, who knows when that will be.

i still am in shock at the number of units costcos received.
Old 12-12-05, 06:54 PM

LOL! Peter Moore is such a tool. If you only ship 400,000 to an already established base of 24 million, you're greatly underestimating demand. And he overestimated demand in Japan where no one cares about it. This has been the worst launch I've ever seen (and that's quite an accomplishment after the PS2). It was so bad they had to do the launch again on the 18th of December at Best Buy. I'm glad I don't have any interest in one of these, hopefully the next round of consoles with Sony and Nintendo won't have this problem. I understand eBay will always have this sort of problem, but they really need to do something about the price gouging bundles and Best Buy hoarding all of them. I'm guessing things will calm down after the holiday.

edit: whoops, hit enter before I was done.

Last edited by Outlaw; 12-12-05 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-12-05, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw
LOL! Peter Moore is such a tool. If you only ship 400,000 to an already established base of 24 million, you're greatly underestimated demand. This has been the worst launch I've ever seen (and that's quite an accomplishment after the PS2)
I wouldn't necessarily say it is the worst launch ever, they are selling the systems. It would be a lot worse if no one was buying. The situation they are in is because of the global launch, had they not done that it would have been fine.

Fact is, MS is treating the console industry more and more like they do the PC industry, promise a lot, ship it, fix it later. It works in the PC world because of their death grip on the industry. Will they make it work in the console realm? Who knows. Before the xbox I said they wouldn't be able to, I was wrong. It is interesting to say the least.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.