Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Put Your Creative Cap On: Design-A-Game

Old 11-26-05, 03:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Put Your Creative Cap On: Design-A-Game

I'm sure we've had a few of these in the past, but not for a while so let's do it again...

Design-A-Game
Rules: You are the writer, designer, director, etc, in charge of a programming team and you get to design any game you want. Describe this game, what is the gameplay like? What is the style of the game like? What do you the graphics look like? Feel free to create a game that isn't possible on today's technolgy or uses something like the Revolution controller.

I had an idea but once I started typing it out and realized it wouldn't have worked that well (it was going to be Kill Bill Volume One but it would have been like 3 fight scenes, pretty much all boss fights).

I'll try and post another idea here later.

Have fun!
Old 11-26-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My ultimate driving game still hasn't been made.

This game would map an entire city (say, something close to what's in GTA nowadays). Racing would be point to point on crowded / semi-crowded streets, so you can try and hit the highway although it might be trafficky, hit back roads, etc.

Think of driving in GTA, Crazy Taxi, the original San Francisco Rush, all rolled up into one.
Old 11-26-05, 04:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

My ultimate car game would be an actual city mapped out, street for street. Photo realistic. Real traffic patterns will be seen in this game (rush hour = busy as hell). You choose what you want to do. You choose your car (hundreds to choose from). It will be completely open ended.

Here's some stuff you could do:

-Get in police chases, try and escape
-Play as the police, pull over speeders, capture people who try and escape
-Look for street racers (there will be areas where these people gather to race at certain times, try and build up your street cred by winning races)
-Crazy stunts, see how crazy of stunts you can do
-Tag, two races play tag.
-Live online play. 64 people could play online in the same city, driving around looking for drag races, getting in the same situations as above.

Hmm it sounds a lot like Midtown Madness, but I dislike the gofer missions in that game, everything will be immediately opened up, you don't have to beat it or anything.
Old 11-26-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would make a massive RTS game that revolved around WWII. Each system/console could connect to one large network. So ps2 players could play pc players. I'd also make it so that each unit was playable. You could build a bunch of soldiers and then play just as one and lead an individual squad. Or build a some planes and fight the war dogfighting in a plane.
Old 11-26-05, 04:49 PM

Mine would be some kind of cross between Grand Theft Auto and The Sims. I'd like the main character to have free will so if I wasn't controling him/her they'd go about their daily lives. I could tell my sim to get a job as a hit man and then after work watch him hang around town and his hideout, run to the supermarket for food or stop at the gas station to fuel up, that sort of thing.
Old 11-27-05, 08:57 AM
Banned

A game that I would love to see made is a massive RTS based on evolution. The story would start with a pack of barely functioning humans in Africa. After discussing where they should go next, the pack breaks up, traveling in different directions. A small group stays in Africa to start their civilization, while the others travel north towards the Middle East. As they reach the next possible stop, one group stays to start their civilization, while the others continue on to find their stopping point. The possible stops are:

Africa
Middle East
Europe
Asia
Russia
North America
South America

In that order. Those who stop first - in Africa - would start their civilization building first, while the others would spend the time traveling. But the longer you hold out to start, would give you the greater reward in natural resources. So the person who started in Africa may blow through their natural resources building a large empire by the time you finally settle in South America. Who is in the better situation at that point? The person who has a large empire but can't sustain it? Or the person who has a small, fast growing city with all the resources to sustain it for thousands of years?

Each area will have its own unique resource and skills, meaning trading or battling to advance is necessary. Africa may be light on resources, but they can easily trade with the Middle East, while North America has to wait for South America to catch up with them in the trading skill inorder to open trade, or try to conqure them before they have the technology to sucessfully do so.

So its a lot more detail oriented than other RTS games. The object is to survive, whether that be concuring everyone else, or isolating the rest of the world until you are the only people left with resources and they are forces to surrender. It would be a very long game, but also very unique. There ofcourse is a lot more detail I would like to add, but I just haven't thought about it.
Old 11-27-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gallant Pig your idea might work now Shadow of Colosus is all boss battles.
Old 11-27-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the ideal game I would get the most out of would be a Dungeon and Dragons game (or similar new world) that plays like a personalized pen and paper game. Neverwinter Nights did good with the online, custom modules and DMing, but I'd like that experience with single player, or non-online multiplayer, as well.

The game would allow one person or up to say 4-6 players start as a group. The game would randomly generate new quests and an overall storyline as the players(s) progressed. New villians would be made by the players actions and organizations would fall through clever scheming.

The key element would be true character customization. DnD allows a lot of inventive gameplay and choices and that would be carried over in this game. I could make on the fly decisions to try wild moves in battle, or lie my way into a nobleman's house (or elf maiden's room) with the right choice of words. If I decided to be a archer and create a new type of arrow, or a swordsman and define myself with a style and weapon choices, I could.

Ultimately, the AI would be like a really good DM who can adapt and change the game and characters based on the players actions, choices and desires. Fighting a dragon would feel epic again and character death would mean something. Traveling the planes and becoming a god would be a reality the same as owning a house in your hometown and becoming a hero for simply killing a goblin.

I wouldn't be opposed to this being console based, and playing in a more action-RPG vein either, so my wife and gaming group could all sit in one room and undertake a new campaign that could last a month or years.

Actions would also define the world for the next campaign, if the player wants the world to continue from their previous campaign or hundreds of years in the future.
Old 11-28-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised there isn;t a "gangsta" version of a MMPROG.. You can be a drug dealer or a pimp, etc... Different levels... Ok, I haven;t thought it out
Old 11-28-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My dream game would be a game that all my family and friends would be able to enjoy and not be intimidated by while still offering a deep and rewarding game environment.
Old 11-28-05, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
My ultimate car game would be an actual city mapped out, street for street. Photo realistic. Real traffic patterns will be seen in this game (rush hour = busy as hell). You choose what you want to do. You choose your car (hundreds to choose from). It will be completely open ended.

Here's some stuff you could do:

-Get in police chases, try and escape
-Play as the police, pull over speeders, capture people who try and escape
-Look for street racers (there will be areas where these people gather to race at certain times, try and build up your street cred by winning races)
-Crazy stunts, see how crazy of stunts you can do
-Tag, two races play tag.
-Live online play. 64 people could play online in the same city, driving around looking for drag races, getting in the same situations as above.

Hmm it sounds a lot like Midtown Madness, but I dislike the gofer missions in that game, everything will be immediately opened up, you don't have to beat it or anything.
Actually, Need for Speed Most Wanted is very similar to what you just wrote. Playing the game right now for the 360 and it's incredible. It's kind of like a driving RPG. I highly recommend it!
Old 11-28-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always wanted a Star Wars game that allowed you to control both the fighters and the capital ships.

I was a huge fan of TIE Fighter and X-Wing back in the day. But some of my favorite parts of Star Wars movies and books are when the capital ships start slugging it out. I know there have been some RTS-type games that let you use Star Destroyers and such, but I want that seamless "jumping" from the bridge of the Star Destroyer to the thick of a dogfight.

Plus, it should be based on the Zahn trilogy of books, since that had some great space battles to use for creative material.