Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Examples of Art in the video game medium?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best Examples of Art in the video game medium?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers.
Planescape: Torment.
Old 11-29-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of this World
Old 11-29-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of this World
Old 11-29-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ico (Japanese Box Art)
Old 11-29-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Planescape: Torment.
Here here! Planescape was the most incredible rpg i have ever played on the PC.

I'll also second the mention of Loom which has always been my favorite of the old point and click adventure games.
Old 11-30-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Legacy of Kain games.
Old 11-30-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Old 11-30-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
It's difficult to call something art when it's a product. Whatever the artists intentions may be, they will become compromised whenever commerce is involved.

A lot of art (be it movies, books, whatever) can be considered a product. Video games however are intended and develobed as a product for consumption far more than paintings, some books and some movies are.

I'm not saying the potential isn't there, or that there have never been artistic examples in the video game medium - only that it's a lot more rare and difficult to do so than in most other mediums.
Old 11-30-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Diablo II, both in story and visuals. Cut scenes were some of the best I've ever seen.
Old 11-30-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
It's difficult to call something art when it's a product. Whatever the artists intentions may be, they will become compromised whenever commerce is involved.

A lot of art (be it movies, books, whatever) can be considered a product. Video games however are intended and develobed as a product for consumption far more than paintings, some books and some movies are.

I'm not saying the potential isn't there, or that there have never been artistic examples in the video game medium - only that it's a lot more rare and difficult to do so than in most other mediums.
I think that's a load of crap.

Art for arts sake is incredibly difficult to do. Artists have to consider the economics of what they do, just like anybody else.

The Renaissance produced some of the greatest art ever created, but wealthy patrons commissioned most of it. Most artists are not Emily Dickinson, sitting in their attic and waiting to die for their work to be known.

Video games are still an immature medium. That is the biggest reason why a lot of it is insubstantial fluff.
Old 11-30-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, most movies that we consider "art" like Citizen Kane, Godfather, etc. were made for consumption as well. That doesn't detract from the artistic value of those films or anything.

I believe it's the same way with games. Sure, they're created to sell, to entertain, but aren't the best movies ones that both entertain and inspire? I certainly believe there are games that do such a thing.

RPGs are probably the ones that come to mind immediately, with my favorites like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Vagrant Story, but there are even action games like the original Metal Gear Solid that are simply beautiful in every way of the word. The visuals, the music, the story and message; I think as a whole the game could be taken as a work of art. And then you have several excellent adventure games like the Shenmue and The Longest Journey (though I have yet to play this one).

I've never seen art just for art's sake as the above poster has mentioned, so just because it's made for our entertainment and made to sell (just like movies) doesn't disqualify a medium from being art.
Old 12-01-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The subtle characterization and nuance of film and literature has not been surpassed or equalled in videogames.

Even the most advanced games with the best storylines have you primarily doing visual/spatial tasks, which are by their very nature are not engaging in an intellectual way. Many games would be, in this way, considered a "sport" of some type, rather then art.

RPGs with the best plot line end up being a strategic experience rather then an immersive narrative (because by definition, as Ebert says, videogames must give users something to do other then read/listen to a plot).
Old 12-01-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do think games surpass a large number of Hollywood movies as works of art though. Half-Life 2 comes to mind when considering action flicks.
Old 12-01-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Shenmue I & II, especially the second one (in its original language). On a basic visual level they're terrific, but the atmosphere and attention to detail is just amazing.
Old 12-01-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkessenz
The subtle characterization and nuance of film and literature has not been surpassed or equalled in videogames.

Even the most advanced games with the best storylines have you primarily doing visual/spatial tasks, which are by their very nature are not engaging in an intellectual way. Many games would be, in this way, considered a "sport" of some type, rather then art.

RPGs with the best plot line end up being a strategic experience rather then an immersive narrative (because by definition, as Ebert says, videogames must give users something to do other then read/listen to a plot).
You're assuming, of course, that narrative or plot (and more specifically, vocal or written narrative) is an essential component of "art". If this were true, silent film, non-narrative and avant-garde film, sculpture, painting, architecture, etc. would not be considered art.

The intellectual enjoyment of a truly great work of art is not inherent in the work; rather, it is a response to it.

(As a concession to your definition, I would easily place Planescape: Torment in the same league as some of the best novels and films. It is an excellent piece of narrative art.)

Last edited by TracerBullet; 12-01-05 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
If we are including things like paintings and music and not just film and books, then I would argue that games like Pac Man and especially Tetris are art. Simple yet endlessly addictive, and not dependant on pure visuals. I'd also say something like Lumines is a great example of a recent game that is beautiful to behold.

I do think that Ebert was defining "art" as purely narrative art, though.
Old 12-01-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
The Legacy of Kain games.
I thought the same thing when I read the title.
Old 12-01-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The King's Quest series.
Old 12-02-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
When I first read this thread title, I thought of Art wanting more Mario on Luigi action in video games.
Old 12-02-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
Ico (Japanese Box Art)

I was surprised nobody had mentioned ICO. That was one of the best game experiences I'd ever had. It was like a minimalist painting brought to life. Shadow of the Colussus was a more "traditional" game but the story line was pretty heady. Oh and that box art is far superior to the US box art.

ps. I heard from those who played REZ that it was like art. Never got around to trying it though.