Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

When videogame plots go bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 02:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw, would anyone remember FF7 today if it had a forgettable plot?

I don't think so, maybe only for it's amazing(at the time) graphics.

Take a poll of everyones favorite FF game.

Now take a poll of the best story in an FF game, asking the same ppl.

I'd bet that the same game would win both polls, provided that you ask the same ppl each time.
Old 11-21-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by William Wallace
IMO, if you were to take the story out of any RPG, you are left with one of the most boring gaming experiences ever.

If Dragon Quest VIII had a decent storyline, then more people would buy DQVIII to play DQVIII, not to play the FFXII demo. Seriously, people are trying to figure out ways to play this demo without purchasing DQVIII to such extremes that they are looking towards Ebay or simply buying it and trading it into Gamestop. And these are all die hard RPG fans, seeing as how much they love FF. That tells you something about games like DQVIII which lack a half decent story.

It makes me sad actually. Dragon Quest VIII has it all, great art, music, graphics, nice and simple battle system,....too bad it lacks the most popular aspect of the turn-based RPG - a good story.

and its not like a great story would have taken anything away from the game.
While I have yet to crack open DQ VIII (still torturing myself through the load times of Magna Carta), I doubt people are avoiding it solely because of the story, or lack thereof. From what I understand, it's still a pretty "old-school" turn-based RPG, which many raised on more modern battle systems may not like. And then there are the FF snobs who won't buy anything non-FF.
Old 11-21-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You telling me that they can get the greatest writer on the planet to write a story for an RPG, but no matter what you would consider it garbage only because its a videogame?
I think this is one area where games could make a huge leap in a totally organic manner: hire real writers (don't limit it to genre guys). It's not like the literary fiction people out there don't need the money - they aren't all teaching for the fun of it. Then again, that presupposes that publishers give a shit about their product and would spend money on anything other than licenses.

I've reached the point where I don't want ANY story in games because they're all so bad. I don't need to justify my gaming time with some ridiculous narrative, though I'd be more than happy to see good storytelling find its way into the medium.
Old 11-22-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It makes me sad actually. Dragon Quest VIII has it all, great art, music, graphics, nice and simple battle system,....too bad it lacks the most popular aspect of the turn-based RPG - a good story.
I don't get where you're trying to go with this thread, you're all over the place without a valid train of thought, in my opinion. You're complaining up and down about game plots and then start babbling about how a game without a plot is nothing. You start by saying you don't like it when RPGs go overboard with ridiculous plots channeling metaphorical and psychoanalytical nonsense and then you start ripping on Dragon Quest VIII (which I doubt you've played or know what it is from the sounds of it) which is the complete anti-thesis to the point of your initial post.

The story in Dragon Quest VIII does precisely what it should do: service the game. It's not a literary work (no game story is, or will be) but it's enjoyable in that it's very light-hearted and adventurous (a good change of pace in my opinion) and does a good job of keeping a great pacing between the plot and the game. In fact, I thought one aspect of the story was done quite brilliantly. When you start the game there's no introduction or back-story, you're thrown into the game with your entourage and an objective.. and you get bits of how you got there through small flashback sequences excellently colored in sepia tones throughout the first part of the game.
Old 11-22-05, 12:46 PM
Banned

Pixy -

You seem to see things in black and white. So I don't like plots that get too wacky and unnecessarily complex. Does that mean I can't dislike a game for having little to no plot at all?

In case you didn't notice, the title of this thread is "when plots got bad". That can mean bad in many different ways.
Old 11-22-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll assume you've played Dragon Quest VIII from start to finish since you are adamant and proud in your accusations so I'll just leave it that and just respectfully disagree with you as I'm only 20 hours in and felt there's been a sufficient enough story thus far and thankfully not all of it has been force fed to me (you get a lot through other means than just force fed cut scenes - a beautiful change of pace).
Old 11-22-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw, would anyone remember FF7 today if it had a forgettable plot?
Yup. It was one of those first games that showed the "power" of the PSX. I honestly don't remember the particulars of the story (outside of Aeris getting got) and Shinra something, but I do remember things about the cut scenes and how great they looked as well as the game. Something I will never EVER forget are the summon Sepiroth did with the comet and the Knights of the Round summon. Those were awesome as hell. Most of my memories are visual ones, but I have a memory that isn't worth a damn so I might not count.

Last edited by boredsilly; 11-22-05 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 03:07 AM
Banned

Yup. It was one of those first games that showed the "power" of the PSX. I honestly don't remember the particulars of the story (outside of Aeris getting got) and Shinra something, but I do remember things about the cut scenes and how great they looked as well as the game. Something I will never EVER forget are the summon Sepiroth did with the comet and the Knights of the Round summon. Those were awesome as hell. Most of my memories are visual ones, but I have a memory that isn't worth a damn so I might not count.
I already mentioned that maybe it would be rememberd for it's amazing graphics.

But clearly, the game has stood the test of time thanks to it's story. Why do you think so many ppl want to see a sequel to it?
Old 11-23-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Mainly because of Sephiroth. Talk to your average FF7 fan and they really don't care about it's story. They just thought Sephiroth was cool. Also, many remember that arcade or whatever it was. Story-wise, the only thing FF7 fans talk about is about Aerith (love that scene or hate it) and that the ending image was a letdown.

The game itself was fun and that's why I enjoyed it. But the story and characters were far from memorable. Serviceable but not memorable. That said, FF7's story was lightyears ahead of FF8's story. That was just lame and the characters were unlikeable.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-23-05 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-23-05, 11:01 AM
Banned

Talk to your average FF7 fan and they really don't care about it's story.
Agree to disagree. My experiences w/ FF7 fans is the complete opposite.
Old 11-23-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the story was crap. It had it's moments. It just wasn't memorable. When you break it down, it's a 40 hour version of countless anime that were already around dealing with similar themes.

But, really, turn to most fans and all you'll hear is "Aerith this" and "Aerith that" followed or preceded by variants of "Sephiroth rocks".
Old 11-23-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about games with numerous plots? Wing commander 3 or 4 was a different game each time I played thru it, depending on how well you did in each mission. Full motion video plots too!
Old 11-23-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But those didn't go bad. We're talking about storylines that go overboard and dive into silly territory. True, we have given examples of games that actually get this right so I supose WC3 and WC4 deserve a mention as well.
Old 11-23-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find a lot of video game plots are like really abstact Sci-Fi Movies/Books, that I have no point of reference and can't understand at all. This is what I think makes TV shows like Stargate a sucess, because you can relate, but even games like FFVII I was sitting there scratching my head as to what was going on most of time.

Other than that, there are games where the plot has gone bad,

I think Halo 2's plot crapped out, namely ending way too early and leaving me unsatisified.

X-Men Legends II plot was pretty bad compared to the first, I just didn't find it that interesting at all.

The ending of Half-Life 2 kinda left a sour taste in my mouth as well, but it was a really well done game so I can't really complain.
Old 11-23-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
God, if I can't skip a cutscene I get so angry.

I actually play RPGs for the battle systems...I can't remember a single detail of my 40+ hour romp through FF7 other than Aeris dying (I'd renamed the character after my girlfriend-now-wife - we all had a good laugh when she got killed ) and that Sephiroth was a royal a-hole. Oh, and Barrett was a bad-ass.

I couldn't care less about the story - let me skip the cutscenes and get back to the game - oh, and I'd rather not read ten windows of text every time I step in a room, thanks.
Old 11-28-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I think a lot of people had to like the story of FF7 when they made a movie sequel to it.
Old 11-28-05, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This sums it up nicely:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/11/30
Old 11-28-05, 10:19 AM

someone probably already posted this, but I think this is a pretty good take on the debate:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/10/07

I tend to listen/read cutscenes and dialogue to an extent - if the story is lame or obvious ill skip more. to my friend dug cutscenes are an anathema.
Old 11-28-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
Yeah, I think a lot of people had to like the story of FF7 when they made a movie sequel to it.
Well, since I don't really remember what happened in FFVII outside of a few major events, I was totally lost for a lot of the movie. Similar to the time I was playing Chrono Cross, and they had some kind of homage to Chrono Trigger that went totally over my head. And I loved Chrono Trigger. Maybe it's a good thing that series like FF and Zelda are just really loosely connected to other games of the series and aren't really direct sequels.
Old 11-28-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts
Super Mario Bros. You're going threw this castle trying to get to the princess but when you get to her you realize that the princess you're looking for is in another castle. WTF?!?
Old 11-28-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Super Mario Bros. You're going threw this castle trying to get to the princess but when you get to her you realize that the princess you're looking for is in another castle. WTF?!?
Well, that's a step up from his previous life combatting a gorilla for a girl that wasn't a princess (or stomping on turtles with his brother). And at least Super Mario Bros. has an ending, I don't think he ever got the girl in the end in Donkey Kong.