Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Demo XBOX 360 at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has been mentioned many times that the demos currently showing do not have anti-aliasing enabled, and that is the cause for the jaggies. The final versions will have AA enabled.
Old 11-12-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
It has been mentioned many times that the demos currently showing do not have anti-aliasing enabled, and that is the cause for the jaggies. The final versions will have AA enabled.
Okay, that clears it up. I thought it was strange for the 360 to have jaggies like that. I know the demo unit I tried definitely had to be in 480i as it did not look HD in any way. Not a great way to sell the console though as many consumers may just assume that is what the 360 will look like and pass on it.
Old 11-12-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filmerp
I geeked out when I saw that the BB in N. Hollywood a 360 kiosk running. I tried King Kong and Call of Duty 2 on (I think) a Samsung HD tv. While the crisp, detailed graphics did impress me, the frame rates did not.
Exactly what I was thinking. Also in COD: 2, the guy throws his grenade pretty damn fast, like he's on speed.
Old 11-12-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For everyone worried about frame rates and graphics, we must remember...this is only a DEMO.

= J
Old 11-12-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
We've had ours up since the middle of October and customers love it. The graphics look amazing, considering that the thing is hooked up with composite cables and it's a demo.

= J
So it's not even HD? I wonder how many of the demo kiosks at other stores are using composite cables?
Old 11-13-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
For everyone worried about frame rates and graphics, we must remember...this is only a DEMO.

= J
Thank you.
Old 11-13-05, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

= J

This doesnt make any sense at all. If your one of the most powerful and rich electronics companes in the world, and hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake . . . , WHY CANT YOU GET THE EFFING THING SET UP RIGHT AT BEST BUY AND WAL MART. Is it too much to ask to get the demo boxes running in HD ? Does anyone scratch their head and wonder why wal mart would make such a piss-poor demonstration of a product that is supposed to turn the gaming world upside down ? ???????

???
?

I just spent at least an hour reading everyones reviews of playing the kiosks, over at AVS forum, and the general consenus is that it looks underwhelming. Alot of the games just look like xbox1 games. People almost unamiously agreed that king kong just looks like ass-

I have to admit, ive fallen out of love with the thing based on what im read. I will reserve final judgement until i see it with my own eyes, but from reading hundreds of posts about it from people that HAVE seen it, - i wasnt too excited.

Last edited by skiblet; 11-13-05 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-13-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by skiblet
This doesnt make any sense at all. If your one of the most powerful and rich electronics companes in the world, and hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake . . . , WHY CANT YOU GET THE EFFING THING SET UP RIGHT AT BEST BUY AND WAL MART. Is it too much to ask to get the demo boxes running in HD ? Does anyone scratch their head and wonder why wal mart would make such a piss-poor demonstration of a product that is supposed to turn the gaming world upside down ? ???????

???
?

Dude, what are you talking about every store sets up shit like this in crappy ways. $4,000 TV's on store sales floors look like shit so why why would this be any different? Frankly, the dispaly I saw was great so I'm thinking this is more Net negativity than anything else. On the The Net, Everyone's a critic. Do you really think it'll change the minds of buyers? No. Remember the game systems that overheated and burned out in store displays?

I just spent at least an hour reading everyones reviews of playing the kiosks, over at AVS forum, and the general consenus is that it looks underwhelming. Alot of the games just look like xbox1 games. People almost unamiously agreed that king kong just looks like ass-

Kong does not look like ass but that's just me. I think those dumbasses fell for the "next gen hype". I stopped falling for that shit around Atari 2600.

I have to admit, ive fallen out of love with the thing based on what im read. I will reserve final judgement until i see it with my own eyes, but from reading hundreds of posts about it from people that HAVE seen it, - i wasnt too excited.
Give it chance man. Don't let a bucha Net hardasses turn you off. Who knows what kinda displays are out there.
Old 11-13-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Robo, i agree ( i guess ) -

But, i just cant get over the disparity between all the hi res promo shots on the net, and what people say that have been to the kiosks. The really high end polished screen shots were what got me all excited in the first place. It gave me that feeling - "man, if it looks like that in the game, then ill be the first person standing in line on 11/22"

Hopefully the reviews of the kiosks are just due to absolute and complete incompetance of wal mart. Im hoping that thats what it is, but my enthusiasm for buying it has been severely tempered -

anyone else feel sorta wishy washy?
Old 11-13-05, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to remember that these games are first generation launch games. First generation games are usually graphically inferior because the developers don't have much experience with the new system. The really awesome games don't come along until the third generation or so. Games like God of War, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Black (which hasn't been released yet) are pushing the PS2 to its limits. Those games are all third generation or later games. Compare Metal Gear Solid 2 (which was released towards the beginning of the PS2's life) with Metal Gear Solid 3. MGS3's graphics are much more advanced and detailed than MGS2's graphics. Even going as far back to the SNES, the best graphical games came at the end of its life with Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG.

Because of all this, I am not personally surprised that the 360 launch games are graphically underwhelming. We probably won't see the true next-gen games for another year or two. Another thing is never believe all the hype you hear. Every new console is hyped up to be the best thing since sliced bread. I remember all the ads saying how the Atari Jaguar was the most powerful console ever because it was the first 64 bit system. A lot of good that did them. I remember Sony's claims about the "Emotion Engine" of the PS2 being so powerful, it would not become outdated for 10 years. Never believe the hype.
Old 11-13-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
kgrogers hit it right that these are 1st gen games and plus a "New Gen" cosole to. Those factors alone should play a part of "keeping an open mind" to the 360 and don''t base it on a few demos or minutes playing it. As evidence look at when the Xbox first came out and compare it to where it stands today.

As much as I was impressed witht the demo I'll still play a wait-and-see after this has been out for a couple of months. Besides the current Xbox still has life even though the graphis aren't up to high pc gaming. And Bean you're right why dish out $300-$500 for a pc card when you can get it all in one machine?

Kenny J.-Buzz
Old 11-13-05, 03:52 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
You have to remember that these games are first generation launch games. First generation games are usually graphically inferior because the developers don't have much experience with the new system. The really awesome games don't come along until the third generation or so.
This will be especially true in the case of the 360 and PS3 because much of their "on paper" power comes from the fact that they essentially have multiple system processors (cores in this case). In practice, programming a game to take advantage of the power of multiple CPUs is much more complex than when working with a single system CPU. Thus, in addition to the usual learning curve that comes with any new console, game programmers are going to have to learn how to manage the multiple processors. This is going to take a long time.
Old 11-13-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've fiddled with the 360 a couple times now and I'm not impressed. It's a fine piece of tech, but I don't see better graphics as an end unto itself. Same old stuff in a prettier package.
Old 11-13-05, 04:49 PM

the 360 games looke very good everybody who says they look like current gen games

a) smoked too much pot
b) is Sony fanboy
c) played on a piss poor set up system
Old 11-13-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the graphics are better, but not revolutionary
Old 11-13-05, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
I've fiddled with the 360 a couple times now and I'm not impressed. It's a fine piece of tech, but I don't see better graphics as an end unto itself. Same old stuff in a prettier package.
the only bigger changes you probably can expect are online stuff everything else is eye candy. If you want something totally different you have to buy the Nintendo Revolution. And seriously what did you expect, game characters slapping you in your face? ;P
Old 11-13-05, 06:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm also curious what people expected other than better graphics from the 360 (and the PS3 for that matter).
Old 11-13-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
So it's not even HD? I wonder how many of the demo kiosks at other stores are using composite cables?
Obviously a lot, since Tarantino actually knows what a composite cable is and didn't bother to do anything about it.
Old 11-13-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played it all Wal-Mart Friday, the games looked great. But I still have tons of XBox games to play and I just bought a PS2, so I can wait.
Old 11-13-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Demo at my local Best Buy was on 720p. As stated before, graphics are better but framerate sucked ass. That's why I'll wait for the price drop, hopefully by then great games will already be released. Plus I don't have to spend $400.
Old 11-13-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone see the Best Buy ad today? "The next evolution in the gaming revolution is here."

I laughed twice.

I played King Kong today at the store, thought it was pretty cool.
Old 11-14-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I'm also curious what people expected other than better graphics from the 360 (and the PS3 for that matter).
Just a game to be excited about.
Old 11-14-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in Best Buy today and saw some guys playing the Call of Duty 2 demo. I don't know what other saw but I think the game looks great. I mean the game is a demo and it doesn't have AA and it looks awesome. I can't wait to play that game in my plasma.
Old 11-14-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
the graphics are better, but not revolutionary
At this point, unless the players on screen come out of my TV and kick me in the nuts, nothing is going to be "revolutionary".
Old 11-14-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Roto
Obviously a lot, since Tarantino actually knows what a composite cable is and didn't bother to do anything about it.
To be fair, typically the demo units at the store are setup by the company itself, and the employees only really have the ability to change the games. At least, that's how it was when I worked at BB.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.