Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

to be released games on xbox, question with 360

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-25-05, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to hear some other peoples view points on this.

A new game is released, both on Xbox and Xbox 360, don't you think the game is basically ported for the 360? So why even bother buying a game that falls into this classification? I mean, PD0 won't be on Xbox, so I can definatley understand buying this one for 360.

Also, seeing some of the 360 screen shots, it's not doing anything for me. Basically looks like a PC version image. I was excited about PS1, and the cool graphics, I was excited about Xbox, cause of the graphics, this one, I'm like ehhh. But don't get me wrong, I'll probably be in line buying one on launch day.

I AM impressed by the new Ghost Recon, you know the one that was pushed back...

Old 10-25-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're right, games that are getting dual release are not likely to be taking full advantage of the hardware. However the tools and engines they use today do make it easier to scale up a game to different hardware, so there will be some improvement. In general though, games that fall into this basket are mainly stuff that doesn't interest me anyway, so not really an issue - multiplatform games, series with yearly releases.

I gather for 360 you have to see it running on a quality screen that supports 720p. People plugging into an old tv won't see much difference. Also some games just haven't had time to take full advantage of the hardware.

Note that this generation more than ever before, screenshots will NOT do graphics justice. You will need to download hi res movies to really get an idea of how good a game looks.
Old 10-25-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the same game is released on both systems at the same time we might be able to assume the worst. But then we have to look at Burnout Revenge for the 360. It it was a port than it would be a launch title right? Hopefully they have been working on making it look better and adding other little touches to it. I traded my XBOX in just so I wouldn't be tempted to get it before the 360 version arrived.
Old 10-25-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Exactly what Master says.

Why bother designing for the Xbox/PS2 at this point? For a multiple release, developers are probably already designing for 360 and then will downconvert for the xbox/PS2. Not the other way around. 360/PS3 are the future and I'm sure developers want to hone their skills for the next gen, not the one that has passed.
Old 10-25-05, 08:59 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Chris says, dual platform games won't be very impressive, and you'll probably need and HDTV to really appreciate the improvement in PS3 or 360 games.

Good thing I don't care about graphics since there's no way my poor Ph D student ass is getting an HDTV anytime soon.
Old 10-25-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully the difference in the next gen won't be just graphics. That's a large piece but hopefully better AI and more enemies, etc on screen at the same time will be big differences as well.

I'm not expecting the first generation of games on the new platforms to look better than the final generation on the current platform. However, the followup generations of games should continue to look better and better and take advantage of the hardware with better AI, etc as the developers pick up the learning curve.
Old 10-26-05, 12:24 AM

They may go the route of having another smaller studio make the game for "lower" platforms. Not really port it at all, but make a new game. Like Ubi did with (groan) Ghost Recon 2. The PS2 game was different than the Xbox - I think one was Ubi Montreal and the other Ubi Shanghai.
Old 10-26-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I basically think visuals will just be improved on some of the games (HD support)

I know King Kong and Gun are two games that are releasing around the same time for both XBOX & 360.

Now, I'll probably get the 360 version, since I will have one. I'm sure some games will be different though. Madden appears to be different.