Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Got to play Xbox 360!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got to play Xbox 360!

They set up an Xbox360 kiosk at my super walmart with call of duty 2 demo and that game looks awesome on the Hi def Tv, can't wait until Thanksgiving week now.
Old 10-22-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played at a Super Walmart this morning too.

I really liked Call of Duty 2. King Kong looks great but I didn't play it enough to figure out how I was supposed to 'distract' a T-Rex without getting eaten. Apparently getting stuck in his teeth is NOT a distraction.
Old 10-22-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i was really suprised by king kong, in videos it looked like a xbox game, but i thought it was amazing looking,
Old 10-23-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to a Super Walmart in Virginia and they had the 360 there. Unfortunately it must have been broken or something because any time you'd load a game the system would freeze. It'd go through all the opening animations for the 360 fine, and you could go through the different blades fine...just don't try to actually PLAY a game.

Ah well...at least I got to hold the controller. Felt great.
Old 10-23-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zodo
Ah well...at least I got to hold the controller. Felt great.
Did it feel good enough to drop $400 on one come launch day?
Old 10-23-05, 05:30 PM

How good did Call of Duty look, was it impressive enough to buy it on launch day. I am thinking of PD0 for my launch day FPS but wondering about COD2
Old 10-23-05, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluntman72
How good did Call of Duty look, was it impressive enough to buy it on launch day. I am thinking of PD0 for my launch day FPS but wondering about COD2
From what I've seen of both, I am sold on COD 2 and not too impressed with PDZ. If you haven't already, go over to gametrailers.com and check out some of the game footage movies. They look amazing. Great web site for anyone who never visited it.
Old 10-23-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Call of Duty 2 looked pretty good. The graphics are not jaw-dropping good and not as good as King Kong, but it looked good. It played great. The Germans seemed smarter than your average video game nazi. The controls felt great, very Halo-like and not that "gun skating on ice" feeling that some console shooters suffer from. It's not revolutionary, it just played like a great WWII shooter.
Old 10-24-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I played all 3 demos set-up. I only played each for about 3-5 minutes. CoD2 seemed darn good. I cannot wait. Kameo seems like a fun platformer.

King Kong seemed good too. I was interested in it earlier, and after playing it....I MIGHT pick it up, we'll see. I already have 7 games on pre-order
Old 10-24-05, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, I played all 3 demos set-up. I only played each for about 3-5 minutes. CoD2 seemed darn good. I cannot wait. Kameo seems like a fun platformer.

King Kong seemed good too. I was interested in it earlier, and after playing it....I MIGHT pick it up, we'll see. I already have 7 games on pre-order
LMAO!! you're insane DJ 7 preorders!! you'll be a busy man come the Thanksgiving holiday

I'm still getting PDZ and Oblivion on launch day if they're available but I have seriously considered COD2. We have a Super Wal-Mart opening here this week so I'm hoping to see the 360 in action in the next few days.
Old 10-24-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
LMAO!! you're insane DJ 7 preorders!! you'll be a busy man come the Thanksgiving holiday

I'm still getting PDZ and Oblivion on launch day if they're available but I have seriously considered COD2. We have a Super Wal-Mart opening here this week so I'm hoping to see the 360 in action in the next few days.
Yeah, I know it's a lot, but my GameRush has been very good to me. They let me switch some pre-orders and just pay the extra $10 to get a 360 game. Credit and being able to "use the system" there are GREAT. I have yet to abuse, only use.

My pre-orders:
Oblivion
Call of Duty2
Madden 06
Condemned
The Outfit
Quake 4
Gear of War

(I know all are not launch, which is good for me. I play on pre-ordering a few more....I have 2 more XBOX pre-orders to switch eventually. I want PDZ, but it's still $60 in GameRush's system)
Old 10-24-05, 09:41 AM

well man it looks like you are going to be fully entertained, but wait No DOA!? yeah the fighting games may be played out but they still entertain me when I have nothing better to do
Old 10-24-05, 11:19 AM

I am dowloading a gameplay trailer right now of COD2 and will go to a walmart soon and see if they have the display up so Ican see the games in person. I am trying to limit myself on the games since I am also buying a new 42" plasma so I can play in HD WS and with the price of the system extra controller and wireless batttery pack it is going to be one hell of an expensive Thanksgiving.
Old 10-24-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluntman72
I am dowloading a gameplay trailer right now of COD2 and will go to a walmart soon and see if they have the display up so Ican see the games in person. I am trying to limit myself on the games since I am also buying a new 42" plasma so I can play in HD WS and with the price of the system extra controller and wireless batttery pack it is going to be one hell of an expensive Thanksgiving.
Yep, I think that is why the graphics looked SO sharp at WalMart, it's on an HDTV. I'm all set, I have a 55" RPTV (Mitsubishi). The thing is great and BIG, but only 1080i.
Old 10-24-05, 08:12 PM

360 is no longer playable, for now.

Wal-Mart pulls plug on 360 kiosks
Xbox maker acknowledges consoles interfering with Wal-Mart's internal management systems; says fix is in the works.

Gamers looking to be among the first to get their hands on an Xbox 360 controller at Wal-Mart demo kiosks can still do it, but they won't actually be controlling anything.

Xbox 360 kiosks placed in Wal-Mart stores across the country have been shut off, said a Microsoft spokesperson contacted this afternoon. The reason, according to Microsoft, is due to the console causing interference with Wal-Mart's wireless "hand scanner" inventory system. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem as being "minor" and says a software solution is in the works to correct it.

GameSpot became aware of the problem after one of its editors entered a Wal-Mart store and discovered the Xbox 360 kiosk had been shut off. The Wal-Mart rep confirmed that the console had been causing problems with the store's scanners.

Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas, instructed all stores to shut down the 360 kiosks.

According to Microsoft, the kiosk program, which was initiated nationwide over the past week, "encountered some minor wireless interference issues that are specific to some retail environments."

Since the advent of 2.4GHz signals--like those commonly found in next-generation consumer electronics such as cordless phones, wireless routers, and, now, the Xbox 360--some retailers have discovered that their network-based inventory management systems can be impacted by products using modern wireless signals, according to the spokesperson.

"While retailers are constantly updating their internal management systems, sometimes new products being introduced into the market can cause this kind of temporary interference. We are working closely with our partners to provide a software solution that mitigates this problem within their retail environments. Adjustments and tweaks to kiosks of any kind are quite common once they're deployed in a live retail environment, and we consider making such adjustments a standard part of the launch process."

Microsoft said it identified the problem and within 24 hours had deployed new software to Wal-Mart stores.

It is still unclear which specific part of the 360 console was causing the interference in the first place...and whether it could interfere with other consumer wireless devices as well. When questioned about this issue, a Microsoft spokesman was confident that it would not.

"The issue is specific to the equipment used in a few retail environments," the spokesperson said.

"Xbox 360, like portable phones, wireless network routers, and Bluetooth devices, emits radio frequency in the 2.4GHz band. It is possible that devices that do not comply with FCC/ETSI rules of operation in this band may not properly handle interference from other 2.4GHz sources. Such devices would be extremely rare in a home environment."

At this time, it is unknown exactly how many Wal-Mart stores with 360 kiosks were affected.
I never shop at Walmart, and made a special stop just to play the 360, and sure enough, no power. Oh well, I guess I won't buy one now.

Old 10-24-05, 08:51 PM

anyone know if the game will still be as sharp if the 360 upconverts it to 1080i? My tv does do 720p
Old 10-24-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether your TV is native 720 or 1080 should make no difference.
Old 10-25-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info jeffdsmith. I was disappointed when I stopped by Walmart today and it was off. Too tired to ask an associate why, so I just went home. I guess I won't be stopping by that Walmart daily after school to check to see if its working, I'll just wait until I hear otherwise. I wonder why Microsoft included the wireless controller with the kiosk instead of the wired version, since the controller is secured in place anyways.
Old 10-25-05, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by eatntae
I wonder why Microsoft included the wireless controller with the kiosk instead of the wired version, since the controller is secured in place anyways.
To advertise it.
Old 10-25-05, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eatntae
Thanks for the info jeffdsmith. I was disappointed when I stopped by Walmart today and it was off. Too tired to ask an associate why, so I just went home. I guess I won't be stopping by that Walmart daily after school to check to see if its working, I'll just wait until I hear otherwise. I wonder why Microsoft included the wireless controller with the kiosk instead of the wired version, since the controller is secured in place anyways.
It isn't a wireless controller, which wouldn't make sense anyway, they wouldn't want to have to keep replacing batteries every few days..
From Joystiq.com
Our inside source on MS retail ops has struck again to clear up some 360 kiosk misinformation that’s been proliferating online recently:

1. What’s installed in the Xbox 360 kiosks (at least at Wal-Mart) are the WIRED versions of MS’s next-gen controllers.

2. The controller is plugged into one side of the kiosk control unit, which has its own power supply (and where the memory-card reader is connected as well). The 360’s video-in, the TV’s video-out, and the controller’s USB connector plug into the other side, making the unit an effective gateway for all inputs and outputs for the display system. Thus, the controller “routes through here so that certain… functions are disabled in the demo machines.”

3. Not only that, the control unit is preset through the use of DIP switches to signify which store (by company) it’s located in. “This will allow each store in the future to have slightly different content [such as new dashboards] coming up due to the console locations.” Assuming that every store gets the same 360 demo discs, one can only hope that clever store employees get to hacking the DIP-switch settings in a timely fashion. Perhaps then the display and/or downloading of different content than that which was officially intended for that particular location or chain can be enabled, whether through the HD screen or a 360 memory card.
Link : http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000460064917/