Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

how large would a movie be for the psp ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was thinking of converting a movie so i can watch it from memory stick on the psp. How large a memory stick would i need for say a 2 hour movie ?

1Gb ? 2GB ?

Hope this isnt an illegal question. i do own the movies i will convert
Old 10-01-05, 01:00 AM

I don't know about the legality, I'd assume it could be considered fair use if you own the original DVD that you're converting. <-- I'm no lawyer, so don't be using me as your defense :-)

I've converted tons of my DVD's using PSP Video 9. A DVD without special features (just the core film) takes anywhere from 600-900 MB. What's funny is that I don't own a PSP (yet), but I use Video 9 since it is quick and easy, and I then copy the movies to my laptop to carry around when travelling. Even though they are 320x240, I can zoom them to double size when watching in Quicktime, and they still look fine.

So, anyhow - plan on getting a 1 GB memory stick just to store one movie. I have a buddy who has five sticks he carts around when he travels to keep movies on.
Old 10-01-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
It depends on the settings of your conversion (better quality and framerate = more memory space).

There's some info about it here.
Old 10-04-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Calico
I don't know about the legality, I'd assume it could be considered fair use if you own the original DVD that you're converting. <-- I'm no lawyer, so don't be using me as your defense :-)

I've converted tons of my DVD's using PSP Video 9. A DVD without special features (just the core film) takes anywhere from 600-900 MB. What's funny is that I don't own a PSP (yet), but I use Video 9 since it is quick and easy, and I then copy the movies to my laptop to carry around when travelling. Even though they are 320x240, I can zoom them to double size when watching in Quicktime, and they still look fine.

So, anyhow - plan on getting a 1 GB memory stick just to store one movie. I have a buddy who has five sticks he carts around when he travels to keep movies on.

how long does it take to convert a movie?
Old 10-04-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never pay attention how long it takes...I walk away. I'd say an hour or two though. I get them around 400MB though.
Old 10-04-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm happy with the quality I get squeezing a 2 hour movie down to around 450 megs. I prefer clear video to kicking audio, so I usually encode the audio at a lower rate to save space.
Old 10-04-05, 02:34 PM

You can compress the movies quite a bit and they are still nicely viewable on the psps screen
Old 10-04-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About 2" by 4".
Old 10-04-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can usually get two movies at decent quakity on a 1gb stick. Ripping is fast, maybe 10 minutes. Encoding to MP4 takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 10-06-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
I get them down to around 350meg - 450meg per movie. I have about 10-15 movies and TV shows ready to go at anytime.

I was watching Old School the other night on it and my battery died.