Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Controller issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 Controller issues

I have had both of my PS2 controllers mess up on me. I had been dealing with it using PS1 dual shocks instead but Burnout won't work with the PS1 controllers.

So here's my issue, my PS2 controllers main buttons aren't working. I have one controller where it seems like the controller allows me to press X once and then I have to unplug/replug the controller to press X again. Where it gets weird is that once I get through the menus, I can play a whole race of Burnout using X for gas without any noticeable problems. My only thought is that the X button doesn't fully reset which is fine when it's the amount of gas but the button has to reset before the menu will allow you to select again.

My biggest fear is that, because it is messing with two of my controllers (although it didn't start at the same time and only one still works with unplugging/replugging it), it might be the PS2 itself. Does anyone know of this sort of thing happenning?
Old 10-01-05, 02:15 AM
Banned

gp98,

I'm sorry I don't have any input for you, but I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. I have been getting very frustrated with the growing number of games that don't support the older controllers. Which version of Burnout are you talking about, and how does the Dual Shock 1 "not work"? Does the game refuse to recognize the controller entirely, or is it just a matter of the game needing the analog buttons for gameplay, etc.?

Thanks,
Will
Old 10-01-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This exact thing happened to me like 6months ago. I had both controllers do this to me at the same time. I couldnt get them working, so I just went out and bought another controller. The new controller works perfect for me, but I have no idea what happened to my two old controllers.
Old 10-02-05, 07:20 AM

Thanks Zodo, I picked up a new controller yesterday and I'm glad to hear that you're not having further issues.

Wtsang: I bought Burnout:Takedown which is not the most recent one, but #3. It acts as if there was no controller plugged in at all but no message saying to plug something in. So it took me a bit to figure out what the problem was.

There are plenty of games that work better with the PS2 controller but I don't know of any other ones where you can't play it at all (although MGS3 used the analog button to aim without shooting so that's probably another one that wouldn't work).
Old 10-04-05, 03:01 AM
Banned

gp, thanks for the reply. It would have been a safe assumption you were referring to Burnout: Revenge. I'm surprised they would have removed legacy controller support that far back. Anyway, that's disturbing. I have lots of specialty controllers that depend on the legacy controller support, and that seems to be falling by the wayside.

Glad you've got a working pad now.

Will