Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Stubbs the Zombie Contest - Contest!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stubbs the Zombie Contest - Contest!

Hey there DVDtalkers-

So I'm one of the developers for Stubbs the Zombie which will be released on Xbox, PC, and MAC in October. We are a small developer working with a small publisher to bring you this unique title, so we are trying to come up with creative ways to get the word out about this game.

I've been a fan of DVD talk for a long time now so I come to you guys for the first of many contests we'll be having.

The winner of this contest will get one of our Stubbs prize packs which includes:

A copy of Stubbs the Zombie for the platform of your choice
A copy of the Stubbs the Zombie soundtrack
A stylish Stubbs the Zombie T-shirt
A frame worthy Stubbs the Zombie Poster

Sound good? Heres the deal:

Post in this thread your ideas for contests we can have to promote the game. We'll be doing a series of contests on various websites and are looking for ideas that are as unique as the game is to promote it. There really are no restrictions or limitations. If we choose your idea, you will win the prize pack! Submissions are accepted through this thread only, and must be posted before Friday October 7th, at midnight!

Hint... our game is a little..... off... so ideas that are a little.... off are strongly encouraged!

For some inspriation, check out our website:

www.stubbsthezombie.com

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Chris Cobb - Wideload Games

P.S. If any of you are in Chicago, we'll be having a public release party around the end of October. Keep an eye out here for details!

Last edited by Fodder1976; 09-22-05 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a simple, yet interesting idea.

You could have a sort of zombie makeup/costume contest. Where people submit a photo/video of themself in zombie makeup, the gorier the better! In order to make sure people are actually submitting legitimate photos, you could make them take photos before, after, and while applying the makeup.
Old 09-22-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You could have the bloodiest stub contest. Whoever has the bloodiest stub wins.
Old 09-22-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about a 2 part contest: best mummy and tackyest punchbowl.
Old 09-22-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An undead sock-hop in the theme of the setting of Stubbs. You know, the futuristic mid 1900's. People could stage a zombie sock-hop, take photos of the king and queen of the hop and submit them (if it's an online thing) or this type of thing could be staged on a larger more official scale complete with swing dancers, a band, punch from the Punchbowl, and a big helping of undead.
Old 09-22-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The weekend of October 15th there is a horror marathon at the Music Box theater in Chicago. Check to see if they would help promote the game if you gave some give aways to them for the marathon?
Old 09-23-05, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! And thanks for that info Mr. Pink, I'll definitely look into it.

Yay some press:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in879934.shtml

"By using a tongue-in-cheek view of our past "innocence" and a thorough knowledge of everything zombie, Stubbs is both entertaining as hell and a bizarre commentary on where we are now. "

Last edited by Fodder1976; 09-23-05 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could do the best 5 minutes or less contest for "Best homemade Zombie movie"...possibly paying respect tot he older movies.

OR, best user-created poster/ad.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 09-23-05 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 11:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's an idea that will promote the game, and encourage people to try it:

1. Release a demo level

2. When players complete the demo, they are given a score based on their performance

3. The highest scoring players win the contest
Old 09-23-05, 12:06 PM

How about bringing the costume or make-up contest to a new level and make people take a photo of themselves dressed like stubbs in strange places. It could be a Stubbs Sighting contest where people are looking for the strangest or most wacky place to take their photos dressed as Stubbs. (ex. Stubbs at a bus stop in the city with other people around, stubbs in a fancy restaurant eating a meal.)
Old 09-23-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best video of somebody in the act of canabalism.
Old 09-23-05, 02:29 PM
RVP

I think a "Best original short story or song" contest would be cool. People could get info from the website and then write a short story or a song about Stubbs and his adventures.
Old 09-23-05, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by actyper
Best video of somebody in the act of canabalism.

Heh I should have specified. Contest ideas that are a little 'off' are great, as long as they dont land us in jail.
Old 09-24-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gather up a bunch of contestants and let them loose in a mall. The person who eats the most amount of live brains wins.

Edit: Oh, don't put you in jail....
Old 09-25-05, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how about a photo contest? like a "where's waldo" but with an image of Stubbs. People could print out an image of the game (or of Stubbs) and then photograph it in unusual places. Most original wins.
Old 09-25-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
I went to your website and thought about it for a bit.

I am pretty sure that the release date in October was not a coincidence so I'm sure that you are trying to capitalize on the Halloween spirit. I also admire the game for it's irreverant humor and the use of violence as a vehicle for some laughs instead of violence for violence sake. The cinema trailer was rather amusing.

Maybe a good thing to add to the website to promote the game are some halloween party ideas. The use of brains is central to the game so perhaps some reciepes for brain pudding for a party or how to decorate for a party using the same themes and devices found in the game such as dismembered hands.

As far as contests go I think that an amateur video is a good idea. Perhaps a video scavenger hunt were contestants film their exploits in trying to find items on a list. The items would be related to the game and could include a classic car, an old police car, a diner.

Another video could be a contest promoting the best video taken in a graveyard. This could be open to interpretation and woudn't necessarily get you into trouble but would generate buzz nonetheless.

Perhaps an internet scavenger hunt were people would send in submissions for best representation of Stubbs on the internet. Or zombie.

If you have the resources taking advantage people with GPS units might be suited to a contest. They could have to collect brain tokens by visiting certain coordinates and obtaining proof that they were there.

Hope everything works out for you guys. Good luck.
Old 10-03-05, 08:43 PM

Chris-
I have a nice and simple idea for a contest.. how about a Stubbs' jack-o-lantern carving contest in the spirit of Halloween? Pumpkins are kinda like heads with removable brains The photos could be judged by the Wideload staff. The entries would make an amusing addition to the Stubbs website. Also, be sure to keep us up to date on the game's release party! I would love to attend--

Eddie Duff

Last edited by Campfire; 10-03-05 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Brilliant Idea for zombie contest.

I had a friend that used to go out and make zombie short films. They sucked usually and he never really finished them, but you could do that as a contest. Like a zombie film festival. Who ever makes the best zombie short film. You could host the winners films on your site.

and sort of a cynical idea, but you could do sort of a scavanger hunt, make the contest about trying to find everyday regular people who look like zombies without zombie make up. People could go around taking pictures and who ever finds the best looking zombie wins.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 10-03-05 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a few ideas:

You could first have a fan-made "Stubbs the Zombie" or zombie themed website contest. It seemed to work pretty well for a couple of releases in the past year (*ahem* Halo 2, *cough* Metroid Prime). While not entirely original it might give your game some more exposure. You could link them from your own website and whichever site(s) gets the most hits, wins.

Second, it might be a short notice and I've no idea if your company will be represented there, but there is the upcoming Digital Life Convention in New York City. You could put a little advert on your site to urge people to come dressed up as zombie, best costume wins whatever goodies you guys have to give out. I know the costume contest has been brought up already but this would be a great place to hold it.

Lastly, how about trying to get your publisher, Aspyr, to attach a trailer of your game to the previews of the horror movies coming out in the weeks leading up to both the release of your game and Halloween. You've got "The Fog" coming out on the 14th, "Doom" on the 21st, and "Saw II" on the 28th. I don't know what kind of marketing budget you have (it must be pretty expensive to do something like this) but it might work well.
Old 10-04-05, 11:21 AM

Well you could play off the Nintendo "touching is good" contest except use some of the halloween ghoul hands you see in the stores, like here http://www.halloween-mask.com/ghoul_hands_morris.htm.

Have people take pictures of the hand touching --whatever, with the tagline "touching is bad".

You could also have a "bowling for Stubbs", party. Rent out a bowling alley and use a maniquin/ghoul head for the ball and manquin/ghoul hands and or feet for pins. Fun for all ages!

Last edited by Bowevil; 10-04-05 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So when will you be announcing the winner?
Old 10-08-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While i was incredibly inadequate in coming up with a contest idea, i did drop some cash on reserving your game today. I'm really looking forward to playing it.
Old 10-08-05, 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your submissions! I'll be looking over everything, I'll get some coworker input, and I'll let you know the winner on Monday!

For those of you who may not win, there is another contest going on at Gamers with Jobs:

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/19176

There will be others too, and I'll be sure to post them here.

In the meantime, in case you haven't heard, the game went gold and should be on store shelves on October 19th! Also, its not been well known that the game features a co-op mode, so you and your friend can dine on the residents of Punchbowls' brains' together!

Thanks very much xmiyux, thats one sale so far! heh.

~Chris~
Old 10-08-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There demo downloads available for this, esp. macintosh? I've been looking for one since I read about the game in Mac Magazine.
Old 10-10-05, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn, got to this too late. Good luck to all of you who posted!

BTW This game looks sweet!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.