Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Blockbuster/EA feud

Old 09-01-05, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blockbuster/EA feud

I called tonight to inquire about Nascar 06 I pre-ordered from Gamerush and the clerk told me that they don't have any right now b/c BB and EA are in some kind of feud. Does anyone know anything else about this since details weren't very forthcoming?
Old 09-01-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't heard anything about it. If it's true, they need to update their website because it shows Nascar '06 as a new release, and also four of the their current Top 10 renters are EA games.
Old 09-01-05, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Well both companies DO suck.
Old 09-01-05, 08:03 PM

Gizmo the uniter not a divider. Maybe they're feuding over who sucks more.
Old 09-01-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GameRush has long since given up on release dates by my house. They still haven't received Mario Superstar Baseball and have no idea if and when they will get it. They ended up moving my Geist preorder because they never got the game in stock either.

The $29.99 preorder deal is nice, but unless the title is a major release like Halo or GTA you will get it, when you get it, if you get it.

On the other hand they have been breaking street dates left and right with UMD movies so go figure.
Old 09-01-05, 09:40 PM

I'm just wondering if I was being fed a line so they could get me off the phone. The clerk said he was told to research the feud which I think would be common knowledge if your company is having a spat with another. This is my first pre-order with Gamerush and most likely my last. The deals great but the closest Gamerush is 1 hr and I'll hold out for the ToysRUs yearly B2G1.
Old 09-01-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason they don't have the game yet is because BB never gets games in "on time." You can get some UNBELIEVABLE deals there, but you have to be patient.

As far as not getting games in, you generally have to place your pre-order at least 3 weeks in advance if you want an uncommon game.

I have pre-ordered at least 25 games there this year, though, and have gotten every one of them.
Old 09-02-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DamingR
The reason they don't have the game yet is because BB never gets games in "on time." You can get some UNBELIEVABLE deals there, but you have to be patient.

As far as not getting games in, you generally have to place your pre-order at least 3 weeks in advance if you want an uncommon game.

I have pre-ordered at least 25 games there this year, though, and have gotten every one of them.
I always get my games on time. Tuesday-Wednesday for the most. I think once, our of my 20+ pre-orders I had to wait until Friday....which is fine.
Old 09-02-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Well both companies DO suck.

Spoiler:
I do love me some SSX though..
Old 09-02-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is my problem with the local GameRush. I called this morning and talked to a different employee and they have my copy of Mario Baseball in stock. Now either they got a shipment this morning (they always tell me they get their shipments in the late afternoon when I ask) or they had the game yesterday and the guy I talked to didn't know where to look or didn't want to bother looking.

I've got no problem getting the game on Friday if that is when they get it in, but I have a suspicion that this is an issue with employees not checking in shipments until way after they get them or with employees not being interested in looking for the games. They used to have employees working on the game side and the Blockbuster side but it seems that most days they only have the Blockbuster side covered to reduce staffing.

All of this is worth putting up with for $29.99 preorders, but when I have to start paying full price for games I seriously doubt GameRush is going to get my business. When Target is getting the games in stock two days ahead of you there is really no reason to shop there except when they are doing the big discounts on preorders.
Old 09-02-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You think that's bad? I once went to the store on a Tueday and asked if the game was in. They said "nope." I drove home and there was a message on my answering machine from three hours ago saying "your game is in." I went back and told the clown about the message. He looked under the counter, grabbed the game and handed it to me without even apologizing.

BUT, I have spent about $300 out of pocket and have turned that into a PS2, PSP, and about 40 new release games. Then, I traded most of that back in and got a Xbox360 and 9 360 games. Like I said, you have to know what you're doing and be patient, but the deals CANNOT be beat.
Old 09-02-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah.....most employees seem to be lazy, but that goes to every store. I went to Best Buy and the In-Stock system said they had a game in-stock (it was a new release), but none were on the floor. I had to ask...and they were like (oh, that's in the back)

GameRush is great because of deals. I've got many new releases and I have 14 pre-orders paid for and have $100 down on XBOX360 along with $100 more in credit there. This is all without truly abusing the system. I know a lot of "flippers" can get banned from ther, but that's another story.