Teen Titans E3 2005 Hands-On

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-05, 09:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if this has already been posted

We spent some time in the Majesco booth fighting evil in the PlayStation 2 version of the Teen Titans game from developer A2M. In case you aren't familiar with the show, the Teen Titans are a team of young superheroes who fight crime and foil evildoers on the Cartoon Network. The upcoming game, based on the show, is a third-person actioner in the vein of classic beat-'em-ups like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We played through one of the levels, and it looks like the game will keep things simple while emphasizing the unique strengths and personalities of the characters from the show.

Teen Titans has a graphical style similar to the cartoon show, with bright, colorful characters and backgrounds. The levels are open 3D areas, but there's an obvious path through as you clear each area of enemies. You'll move about these areas using the left analog stick, while using three of the face buttons to perform various attacks and combos. You can press the buttons in a specific order to initiate a special combo that's unique to each character. You can also hold any one of the attack buttons to charge up a special move. That isn't the end of your arsenal though; you can also input a button combo to perform a signature move that's unique to each character. For example, if you choose to play as Beast Boy, you can charge each attack button to transform, temporarily, into an animal, such as a T-rex, a ram, or a kangaroo. Beast Boy's signature move has him turning into a massive gorilla that pounds the ground around him. When performing signature moves, the action slows down, and the background fades to black as the camera zooms in on the character executing the move. It's a nice effect, but all the other players are ignored as this happens, which seems like it could get frustrating.

The feature we enjoyed most was the ability to change characters on the fly with the D pad. This helps to add variety to the game by letting you use a different character's special abilities at any time. Of course, if you have four players, you'll only have one other character to choose from at any given moment. All the characters from the show are in the game, though, so you'll get to play as Robin, Raven, Beast Boy, Cyborg, and Starfire.

In the level we played, the main objective was to simply beat up all the enemies on the screen and move on. However, it looks like there will be a variety of mission objectives to mix things up every now and then. At one point, Cyborg was trapped, and we had to defend him against waves of robot bad guys. Hopefully, the final product will have plenty more unique missions to complement the fighting.

The game still feels rough, with some minor collision detection issues and slowdown, but there's plenty of time to make it shine before its planned 2006 release.

By Greg Mueller -- GameSpot
I can't wait, I'm a huge Teen Titan Fan, I watch the show, never read the comic books, but...what the heck!!!
Old 08-29-05, 11:03 AM

would anyone care to comment on this?
Old 08-29-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't GameFAQs, don't expect replies every 2 minutes on a topic.

I actually do have a comment on this, but it's against forum rules for me to state them.
Old 08-29-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I know that my friend's little brother will be extremely excited about this since he is a huge fan of Teen Titans. Gameplay issues won't bother him since he's 4. He should like it since he loves the TMNT games.
Old 08-29-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was so burned on Batman: Rise of the Sin Tsu, that I won't be giving this one a chance. It sounds a lot like that game did. To be fair though, the boss fights were pretty cool, but the game was a huge step back from Batman Vengeance. Sure Vengeance had it's share of crappy controls, but at least they were trying to give the game some meat. Sin Tsu was one of the most generic games I've ever played.

I could be wrong and this might be more like a (dumbed down?) version of X-Men Legends.
Old 09-01-05, 09:35 AM

I think that this game will be good. I just hope the fighting doesn't suck. I would be so happy if it would be like tha action in Final Fantasy.

what do you guys think?
Old 09-01-05, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
This isn't GameFAQs, don't expect replies every 2 minutes on a topic.

I actually do have a comment on this, but it's against forum rules for me to state them.