Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

When is Mario Baseball Coming Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the single player mode on this? Can you spend as much time with it as Mario Golf and Tennis?
Old 09-05-05, 11:35 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say so. I haven't played golf or tennis, but the challenge mode gets tough after the mushroom level and there's 3 levels after that. I'm about half through the second one.

It is a bit repetitive though as the levels are the same, the rival teams are just tougher.
Old 09-06-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I finally beat all four cups (that last one takes some time) but its definitely possible. Just make sure you get Yoshi for Center Field (he can cover a huge amount of distance out there), Mario and Luigi in the outfield (I took away several homers at the wall especially with Luigi who jumps very high), Donkey Kong, Wario and Petey Piranha at 1st, Catcher and 3rd (big so they can snag line drives plus all are power hitters, I hit probably 20 homers with Petey alone), and Peach and Waluigi somewhere to pitch. You will switch out between them. Other infielder can be Diddy, Daisy or whoever. You can also put Mario in the infield and put a speed demon like Toadette in the outfield if you want more speed out there.

With that lineup I beat Bowser on Special Cup on the first try 9-6. It will take several games to unlock all the character to face Bowser, but I found the game so much fun I had no problem playing it over and over.

Spoiler:
Once you beat special cup you can play any of the cups with Bowser's team which gives it a different flavor. You then have to beat the Mario All Star team to win the cup. Makes it a bit tougher depending on what cup you go after. There is also a field of dreams ending that is short but cute when you win the special cup

Anyway excellent job by Namco. There are some rough edges, but overall Namco did an excellent job of turning the Mario characters and locales into a baseball experience and they did an excellent job of bringing the feel of Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Baseball Stars to a current gen console game.

This one is definitely worth at least a rent if you have a Cube. I have put in easily 20 hours on my vacation playing this either in challenge mode (which I found highly addicting) or against my son in exhibition mode. Well worth the asking price for me.
Old 09-06-05, 11:11 AM
Retired

A couple times I've completed all the rival captains scout flags and unlocked him/her before getting their teammates to join.

It seems that there is no way to get these guys other than restarting the whole level? Anyway around this when it happens?
Old 09-06-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once you get a Team Captain go play a short round with Bowser Jr. If you win you'll get a couple of the left-behind characters.
Old 09-06-05, 11:18 AM
Retired

Thanks!

The instruction manual for this game is worthless! At least the game is great.
Old 09-06-05, 05:10 PM
fab

I picked this up over the weekend myself and have been enjoying it. When I first powered it up I jokingly asked my wife if she wanted to play and she surprised me by saying yes and as a testament to it's pick-up-and-playness we ended up playing for about an hour.

As everyone has already stated, it's a great arcade style baseball game. I'm not a big fan of regular sports games that are practically becoming sims lately so this is definitely welcome to me. Homeruns are pretty few and far between, I've only managed to see one hit (by Bowser in the final game on Mushroom) and I hit one once using Peach.

Great game. I'm looking forward to the Mario Soccer game.

--
fab

Last edited by fab; 09-07-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 08:12 PM

Mario Baseball has really shocked me with how good it is. If Mario Soccer is anything like Sega Soccer Slam it will be a great game.
Old 09-11-05, 02:57 PM
Retired

I'm gonna drop my score down to a 6.5 for three reasons.

1. Single player has gotten old for me. They should have had more rivals, and thus had a new set of rivals for each challenge level. Then you keep the players you unlock when you start the next level. It gets old fast with each level being the same with just better CPU AI. Just playing the same thing over 4 times, starting with the same team of sucky scrubs each time.

2. Too much is left too luck. Random errors where players muff the ball. Too many objects in the field for the ball to hit, etc.

3. The fielding and base running leave a lot to be desired. Aforementioned random errors, players all throw like kindergarteners. The baserunning sucks, you learn to go back on fly balls so as to not get doubled up, but some are hard to judge and the other team doesn't catch it and you still get doubled up.

Still a fun game. But it could have been MUCH better. I really wish I'd waited for it to hit $20 or less now.
Old 12-30-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

finally got this at the 29.99 price drop. used up a gift card from xmas...i love it so far. any special strategy for this one at all.