Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation 2 repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation 2 repair

When I hit the eject button on my SCPH-30001R the disk tray doesn't open. I have a disk stuck in my ps2. How can I open the disk tray to get the disk out? I don't want to open the playstation up. I am trying to get my Madden 06 game out. Is there any pin holes like the CPU disk drives that have an automatic eject?
Old 08-14-05, 07:27 AM
Banned

Darkside: I'm sorry, but that just screams user error; but you are trolling in this thread anyway so I'll just ignore it

htfdwhal: I do not believe there is a release button for the DVD drive. When you hit the eject button, do you hear the motor trying to eject the drive? Or is there no noise at all? Either way, you are going to have to crack open your PS2 and get the disc out (which I hope was just misplaced on the tray and is now stuck rather than a broken tray drive). Its pretty simple, really. If its still under warrantee, it may be worth your time to ship it back to Sony. I would personally just take care of the problem myself.
Old 08-14-05, 11:11 AM

What Darkside posted has everything to do with Playstation 2 repair. The thread is entitled "Playstation 2 repair" and he called Sony to repair his FOURTH PS2 and they wouldn't without a receipt. That's lame on Sony's part because the slim PS2 hasn't even been out a year, it should still be covered under the manufacturers warranty regardless. And how the fuck is a bad controller input a user error? The only user error I see was buying a fourth PS2.
Old 08-14-05, 12:10 PM
Banned

Yes, we had to hear your long story about how you keep breaking your PS2s to discover that Sony won't repair your PS2 without a receipt. This thread was in regards to a disc drive not openning, not a disc read issue. You are trolling.
Old 08-14-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay, everyone, chill out.

darkside: We really don't want to read about how one console maker sucks. History has shown that doing so will only lead to console wars. Plus we now realize that ALL major consoles have issues.

joshd2012: And you fell for the bait. Why bother replying to a console bash? Next time, instead of writing, "but you are trolling in this thread anyway so I'll just ignore it," just simply ignore it ... AND report the post to the moderators.

htfdwhal: Good luck with your disc.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 08-14-05, 08:30 PM

lost my internet connection and finally got it back online. thanks for your responses. When I hit the eject button the tray comes out about an 1/8" then slides back in again. I try to catch the tray and pull it open but its like taking a bone from a dogs mouth. I don't want to pull too much for I am afraid of breaking the playstation all together. I was going to try to bring the playstation 2 to best buy to have them look at it since that is where I bought the thing. Thanks.
Old 08-14-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if somehow something got jammed in there. That is really what it sounds like. Can't see any other option but opening it up. If its already out of warranty I would just open it up and remove the disc.

Also sorry to vent earlier. I had just got off the phone with Sony at that time and vented a bit. I shouldn't have put that in your thread. The new PStwo and PSP are both solid pieces of hardware and I just had bad luck. It happens.

Hope you can get that disc out without damaging anything.
Old 08-15-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark, but do you remember how you could turn the old PS1's upside down to make them work when you got disk read errors? It had to do with the way the gears put pressure on each other in various positions. Maybe try holding your PS2 upside down or on it's side and see if it will come out (put something soft under to catch your disc).
Old 08-15-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Milo, that probably wouldn't work because the disc isn't "attached" to a hub like in the PS1.
Old 08-15-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm wondering if the disc somehow is the thing jamming the drive. I know the PS2 is pretty easy to take apart. You would just need to take off the top cover. The drive is easy to see and you should be able to open it and get the disc out without breaking anything. Its also possible that the belt that opens the drawer somehow was damaged, but I'm thinking that disc is the culprit.
Old 08-15-05, 08:24 PM

htfdwhal,

Like a previous poster said, if your console is out of warranty, just crack it open. It's very easy to do. Follow these instructions, for opening up the PS2, and you should be okay.

Last edited by EvlAsh; 08-15-05 at 08:26 PM.