DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   A Revolution rumor with some teeth (More 3d stuff) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/429022-revolution-rumor-some-teeth-more-3d-stuff.html)

jeffdsmith 08-30-05 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Notice how the left "O" is bigger than the right "o"?

Any idea what that could be referring too?

The game discs, which is why I don't agree with darkside's specualtion of the logo. I think the logo shown in the bottom pic was simply a temporary one used for E3, and the two different sized "O's" are meant to indicate the that slot loader accepts regular sive DVD's and Gamecube disc's. (The first drive of its kind).

orangecrush 08-30-05 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
The game discs, which is why I don't agree with darkside's specualtion of the logo. I think the logo shown in the bottom pic was simply a temporary one used for E3, and the two different sized "O's" are meant to indicate the that slot loader accepts regular sive DVD's and Gamecube disc's. (The first drive of its kind).

Wouldn't it be sad if this is what is "revolutionary"

Shagrath 08-30-05 10:36 AM

It's obviously catering to all the uber-crazy smiley faces that have been plastered all over the web!

O_o !!!!!

Michael Corvin 08-30-05 10:46 AM

Or yet another controller where the left thumbstick is normal size and the right one is smaller. :lol:

jediwicz 09-02-05 05:21 PM

Nintendo has now patented "sanity" effects in games. The way to article reads it sounds like the Revolution controller has gyroscopes allowing the game to feel how you are doing (sensing startling jumps, slower reaction times). Good read but very Eternal Darkness. It could be used in action/adventure/RPG's though.

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/vi...php?1125674341

sdcrym 09-02-05 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jediwicz
Nintendo has now patented "sanity" effects in games. The way to article reads it sounds like the Revolution controller has gyroscopes allowing the game to feel how you are doing (sensing startling jumps, slower reaction times). Good read but very Eternal Darkness. It could be used in action/adventure/RPG's though.

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/vi...php?1125674341

Nintendo was awarded the patent on August 30, 2005, but they initially applied for it on December 14, 2000. I bet they weren't thinking about gyroscopic controllers for the Revolution at that time considering the gamecube hadn't been released yet. :)

Patent

jeffdsmith 09-08-05 10:38 PM

THQ on board, and some interesting quotes:

Tonight at THQ's year-end press event, IGNcube caught up with company president Brian Farrell and quizzed him on Revolution plans. Farrell did confirm that THQ is developing "games for Revolution." Providing more details than that, Farrell indicated wide support for all the next-generation consoles including Revolution, saying, "THQ's plan is to serve gamers no matter what platform they are on." Backing that up, he also firmly stated, "We are commited to Nintendo's [Revolution]."

However, when asked about what plans Nintendo has laid out for THQ, Brian was hush-hush on the matter. But he claims that based on his discussions with the hardware giant, he feels that "Nintendo is waking up."

Finally, when confronted with the question of whether or not THQ was in possession of development hardware, Mr. Farrell declined to provide specifics due to non-disclosure agreements (NDAs). All he would say was that "We're seeing more from Nintendo now [for Revolution] than we have an any other Nintendo platform."

THQ, joins the ranks of Square Enix, Konami, Bandai, and a few other publishers that have pledged support for the Revolution, which, as a reminder, is not the finalized name.

darkside 09-15-05 08:37 AM

An interesting picture. Again could be fake, could be nothing, but could be the dashboard for the Revolution.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/Rev-WiFi.jpg

PixyJunket 09-15-05 08:42 AM

Argh.. image blocked from work. :(

joshd2012 09-15-05 09:18 AM

I don't think that is a dashboard. Looks like a pro-mo website or something. Maybe where you can download a game?

But GumShu: Bloody Afternoon is definiltely an interesting choice of title. :D

jeffdsmith 09-15-05 09:59 AM

The software logo (bottom middle) looks to have a controller looking thing below the arrows. (to symbolize playing?) I wonder if that is a place holder or will be the actual shape of the controller... (Assuming this pic is real of course.)

Based on that shape I would lean towards guessing the controller has built in sensing of level (like the GBA wario game). Looks big enough to also house rotating weights as well. (For counter force)

joshd2012 09-15-05 10:04 AM

The software logo (bottom middle) looks to have a controller looking thing below the arrows. (to symbolize playing?) I wonder if that is a place holder or will be the actual shape of the controller... (Assuming this pic is real of course.)

Based on that shape I would lean towards guessing the controller has built in sensing of level (like the GBA wario game). Looks big enough to also house rotating weights as well. (For counter force)

Pretty horrible shape, if you ask me. I hope that is just a place holder. But I didn't notice that at first, thanks for pointing it out.

jeffdsmith 09-15-05 10:17 AM

Pretty horrible shape, if you ask me. I hope that is just a place holder. But I didn't notice that at first, thanks for pointing it out.

That's funny you say that, I thought it looked similar to the PS3 controller, just fatter. :lol:

joshd2012 09-15-05 10:23 AM

That's funny you say that, I thought it looked similar to the PS3 controller, just fatter. :lol:

Looks sort of like the Xbox Duke controller or the controller it copied - the DreamCast controller. I can at least get my hands around the Batarang!

spainlinx0 09-15-05 11:41 AM

Why anyone would copy the abomination that was the DC controller I don't know.

PixyJunket 09-15-05 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

Preach it!

Josh H 09-15-05 12:09 PM

Hopefully that's just a place holder.

Though I could see it being real as it looks like that design would be easy to twist, which would tie in with the gyrscopic rumors and the Revolution name theory early in this thread.

Michael Corvin 09-15-05 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

worst. controller. ever.

joshd2012 09-15-05 12:58 PM

Worst? No. Bad? Oh yeah!

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3143627

darkside 09-15-05 01:20 PM

Thats a very cool article. I read it yesterday.

spainlinx0 09-15-05 02:52 PM

Yes, I enjoyed that article, and it reminded me how bad that controller shredded my thumbs playing Virtua Tennis and its sequel.

PixyJunket 09-15-05 03:01 PM

Heh, my thumb cowers in fear remembering Giga Wing 2 on Dreamcast. Ouch. :(

Michael Corvin 09-15-05 03:56 PM

Solid read. Shows just how innovative Nintendo is at controller design, and how quickly competitors jump on the bandwagon. Easy to see why they are hesitant to show anything so soon on the Revolution design.

They forgot to mention another "quirk" of the Dreamcast controller... as if the controller wasn't the most uncomfortable thing ever you also had to contend with that fucking wire coming out the bottom. God was that ever annoying.

jediwicz 09-15-05 06:51 PM

Tonight. Hurry.

darkside 09-15-05 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Solid read. Shows just how innovative Nintendo is at controller design, and how quickly competitors jump on the bandwagon. Easy to see why they are hesitant to show anything so soon on the Revolution design.

They forgot to mention another "quirk" of the Dreamcast controller... as if the controller wasn't the most uncomfortable thing ever you also had to contend with that fucking wire coming out the bottom. God was that ever annoying.

All this Dreamcast talk is making my wrists hurt. That was such an ackward angle to hold a controller in. The thing that pissed me off about the DC controller the most was the fact the Saturn nights controller was such a good design. More comfortable to hold and with 6 buttons for fighting games. They would have been fine if they just stuck with that design.