Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are HD games the next big thing? Microsoft and Sony say yes. Nintendo says No.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are HD games the next big thing? Microsoft and Sony say yes. Nintendo says No.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-05, 02:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Seems like these rumors have been building and building, and if they weren't true, Nintendo would be shouting that from the rooftops. But maybe they are seeing what the general attitude is toward this rumor and will tweak their final machine based on it.
And if they're true, which they may well be, it will be because adding HD support adds cost to each console, and for no other reason.
Old 06-11-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember in 1998, when people thought DVDs would never catch on and become popular/mainstream. Boy were they right!
Wait, what people were these. DVD had buzz going several years before it was released and was touted by every major magazine I read as the next big thing that would destroy VHS. One of the reasons I got excited about it was all the hype that surrounded it. There was never any doubt about its success, but maybe some people underestimated just how much success it would get in the first couple of years.

HDTV will continue to grow and eventuall will be in the majority of households, but this is still a decade away from reality. For the next 3-5 years HDTV will be a niche item.

Last edited by darkside; 06-11-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Hmmm. This is admittedly anecdotal, but everyone I know that considers themselves a hardcore gamer has a pretty nice rig.
My situation is completely the opposite. Maybe its a location thing, but I know and play games with many people over twenty that play games to the point of being hardcore and only a few of them even have DD 5.1 set ups much less HDTVs. Most were quick to jump on the online features of Xbox Live and the PS2, but slow to pump a bunch of money into their home theaters.

Hell, I have a pretty nice home theater set up and I usally play games in the other room on my 27 inch TV with just stereo sound.
Old 06-11-05, 02:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait, what people were these. DVD had buzz going several years before it was released and was touted by every major magazine I read as the next big thing that would destroy VHS. One of the reasons I got excited about it was all the hype that surrounded it. There was never any doubt about its success, but maybe some people underestimated just how much success it would get.
I think it was the "Black Bars Are Evil Folks", what you are saying here about DVD applies identically for HD.

HD gaming will be the buzz this next generation, especially since Sony is pushing it this time around. Will it help Nintendo gain marketshare next time around? No. Will it help Nintendo sell more consoles next time around? No. Will it help Nintendo save a couple bucks for each console they sell? Probably. Would Mario Sunshine look awesome in HD? Hell yes.
Old 06-11-05, 02:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

My anecdotal feeling is gamers are more likely to have HD than Ma and Pa Kettle in West Virginia. Graphics are a huge deal when consoles first come out, if you like or hate it, that's life. Nintendo will be bringing some negative attention to themselves in this move and it's just bad.

The N64 was the only console Nintendo console I never owned. I'm a big fan of Nintendo games. I never thought they'd leave this out, hopefully it's not true.
Old 06-11-05, 02:58 PM

Received 813 Likes on 529 Posts
Would Mario Sunshine's crazy camera still suck in HD? Hell yes.
Fixed.
Old 06-11-05, 03:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Fixed.

Absolutely, it would have been also easier to jump onto tight ropes because it would have been more defined.

I see a lot of people jumping in to let Nintendo off the hook with this omission. I can understand, but really I think they need to be held accountable for it on some level and criticized. It's not the end of the world, but it's a pretty damn big omission and could be as costly as the cartridge based N64 (where they lost huge amounts of market share to Sony).
Old 06-11-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Hell, I have a pretty nice home theater set up and I usally play games in the other room on my 27 inch TV with just stereo sound.
I'm in this boat too. Except, I will often roll out my 27" Sony tube from one room into my home theater which is in it's own room. I do this for my Xbox games so that I would (at the very least) still have the 5.1 surround sound. Now, my prayers have been answered with Sony and Microsoft pusing for HD content in EVERY game they release this coming generation. I'll be able to finally retire the 27 incher for good.

It's a bummer Nintendo isn't supporting HD, but it doesn't affect me much since I wasn't planning on getting the Revolution. Not for myself anyway.
Old 06-11-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I have noticed and hated about Nintendo since the early days is that every decision they make is focused on the Japanese market. They then try to shoehorn those decisions into the American market. Look at the DS. That handheld was designed from the ground up for Japanese gamers. They released it here first, but they released most of the software there first and if you look at the complete list of software available that handheld was meant first and foremost for the Japanese market. That is the main reason it is selling like gangbusters there. I think the DS idea works and I have a lot of fun with it, but the device was not aimed for mainstream America.

GameCube is a similar situation in my mind. A purple cube? No one in there right mind would design that for the US market. I like Nintendo and I like their games, but it is obvious they have no understanding of the US market. I think that is the reason things like online play were pretty much passed over this generation. Now online is bigger in Japan so they will go with it. I can only assume that Nintendo of America has no input at all in any decisions made for the company. They certainly seem like nothing but mouthpieces for NOJ.

Again the decisions they are making on the Revolution, new type of controller, no HD, downloadable games again to me seem like something focused purely on expanding and improving the Japanese market.

I think the biggest key to Sony's success is how much more they have focused on the American market. Maybe someday someone will tell Nintendo that we are now driving the gaming market and not Japan.

I don't think the lack of HD is as big of an issue as sticking too long to carts, too small of memory cards, mini DVDs or any of the other things that have hurt them hardware wise, but I will agree they will take heat for it and it will not help them much in the eyes of the average American gamers. I still think they are smart to go low cost though. Nothing they could come out with will touch the PS3 from a pure technical aspect so better to just stick with low cost and innovation instead.
Old 06-11-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as long as the Revolution supports progressive scan and widescreen for most games I'll be happy. Though I have to admit I'm really really excited about being able to play games in 1080i on my 42" HDTV with the XBox 360 and PS3.
Old 06-11-05, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Josh Hinkle]I think HDTV is much further than 3 years away from getting mainstream. Probably 10. You have to consider that the bulk of the country is joe six packs that only buy a new tv when the old one breaks.

WHAT!!!!!!!!??!?!!?!?!? ten year
I'm going to give you a break since you don't have Hi Def. With the FCC drop date of end of 2006 or 2007. Consumers will have to purchase convertors for std TV to receive broadcast signals after that date. How long will this last? Hi Def tv prices have reached $599 level. Come on, Hi-def Sport broadcasts are incredible. I have two Hi Def Tvs. One was purchase after my old $699 Sony died, a Sony Grandwega 42". The other was a 30" Samsung I got dirt cheap. You may not be able to afforded a HI Def at this time( Hey! I was a poor student also), But to me Microsoft and Sony are just reading the treads.

Dones this make Nintendo decision not to support Hi Def bad? I think it's more of Nintendo carving out their segment. I think it will kill 3rd party support. If 3rd party developers put out games on all 3 systems which will look the best? Microsoft and Sony of course. Developers will get even less from Nintendo's market segment, since Nintendo will take a second place to either of the other consoles.
Old 06-11-05, 07:02 PM
Retired

My anecdotal feeling is gamers are more likely to have HD than Ma and Pa Kettle in West Virginia.
Gamers in the 25 and up demographic. I agree 100%

Gamers in the Nintendo demographic, not so much as such a huge chunck of their business comes from kids (as much as we all hate the kiddie label that's an undeniable truth). They're only hope is if their parents have an HDTV AND they let them hook their game systems up to that tv.

And even the 18-24 year old demographic isn't very likely to have HDTVs. They've (hopefully) moved out of home and are in college or jus getting started in the real world, and thus probably don't have the disposable income and or space to HDTV's.

And I'd say kids and 18-24 year olds account for a lot more gamers than the over 25 group.
Old 06-11-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Guess what, the government originally speced 2003 as the year for HD TV requirement based on industry projections. That was pushed back.

The new date was 2005. Pushed back again.

To believe that the government is going to force consumers to upgrade or pay for converters within 2 years is a joke, it won't happen. The entire adaptation of HDTV is taking several years more then outlined to the FCC by industry. A much more realistic date at this time is late 2008 at the earliest.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 06-11-05 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 07:07 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Apollo
WHAT!!!!!!!!??!?!!?!?!? ten year
I'm going to give you a break since you don't have Hi Def. With the FCC drop date of end of 2006 or 2007.
That's 100% a non-factor. The only people watching TV broadcast only are too poor to afford cable or satelitte, and thus too poor to afford and HDTV.

SDTV over satellite and cable will be available for a hell of a long time yet.

It will be 10 years at least, IMO, before we can say "most homes have an HDTV."

It will keep growing in popularity every year as prices drop and more programming is available (and at the same cost as current SD programming). But it will take a long time for all the joe six packs to get on board and SD to be totally a thing of the past.

Look at CDs, they're 20 years old and going no where despite better formats being introduced. J6P is resitant to change.

Hell, so am I. I'm not getting an HD-TV until I'm done with my Ph D and settled into a tenure program somewhere and have a house. So 5+ years for me. And I feel no regrets about that what so ever.

Of course that is baring my 27" Wega breaking in the meantime, in which case I'd probably get a small HDTV for the time being assuming I can find one I like cheap enough.

HDTV picture looks great, but it doesn't make movies, shows or games any more entertaining for me.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-11-05 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 07:10 PM
Banned

I think the hard core gamers will want HD. Most hard core gamers I know play all three systems, and have them hooked up via component cables to get the best image possible from these machines. Nintendo is carving out that demographic again which is aimed at lower costs and lower ages. I am still planning on picking up one down the line (sub $100) for the old school games, but you probably won't see me picking up any newer games for the system.

HD is becoming very important to me as I move closer to picking up a new TV. It doesn't make sense anymore to purchase an SD set.
Old 06-11-05, 07:26 PM

Received 813 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Hell, so am I. I'm not getting an HD-TV until I'm done with my Ph D and settled into a tenure program somewhere and have a house.
I have all of that and I still don't have a HDTV set.
Old 06-11-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still can't see it myself.. I can not see that there will be much money saved by actually restricting HD support, hell all you need is a vga out socket, and the Revolution will be more than powerful enough to pump out a HD level picture. I'm assuming the rev. will be something like a 3ghz powerpc, with at least a current gen level radeon on board, now what are you going to do with all that power if your still outputing at standard tv level. That could be the revolution!! Here we have our brand new super powerful console which will be 80% idle!! yaaaay

Also doesn't anyone who has a pc monitor have a HD capable display? Admittedly not widescreen.

Nintendo won't do it . The revolution is still 1-2 years away, plenty of time to realise their mistake..
Old 06-11-05, 10:16 PM

I personally believe the Rev. will support HD is some fashion, but if it doesn't it won't hurt Nintendo that much unless Sony and MS use it in marketing a lot to try and make the Rev. look "weak".

The fact is the system will sell if has good games. Gamers that choose to skip over the Rev. because it lacks full HD support are no different then those that refuse to play Zelda WW or Warioware: Twisted because they look childish; they are nothing more then self-denying graphic whores who put precedent on if it will make their "system" shine and make them feel more like a man.
Old 06-11-05, 11:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Pixy Junket?
The fact is the system will sell if has good games. Gamers that choose to skip over the Rev. because it lacks full HD support are no different then those that refuse to play Zelda WW or Warioware: Twisted because they look childish; they are nothing more then self-denying graphic whores who put precedent on if it will make their "system" shine and make them feel more like a man.

Whatever you say.
Old 06-11-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only people watching TV broadcast only are too poor to afford cable or satelitte, and thus too poor to afford and HDTV.
Wow there's a blanket statement if I've ever seen one.
Alot of people watch broadcast TV (especially with HDTV concerned) but have Satellite or Cable as well. For example I have an HDTV with HD service from my cable company but I'd watch my ABC affiliate in HD over the air if I had an HD Tuner (my cable company doesn't have ABC in HD for some reason so if I wanted ABC in HD that's my only choice for now). Another example is my parents who have DirecTV and don't get all of their affilates on the dish (I think it's only like UPN and WB they don't get on the dish so they use an antenna but they just have a regular non HD tv).
The fact of the matter is, the government isn't going to ever be able to get the ball rolling for HDTV. The market is going to dictate when HD becomes standardized. With the falling prices, increased consumer knowledge regarding HD, and increased availability of HD sources, I think we're looking at only a few more years until HD really kicks into high gear. That's not to say I expect SD broadcast signals to be turned off in a few years, but I think HDTV will finally start to become less of a niche product.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 06-11-05 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-12-05, 01:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

I pulled the plug on cable a few months ago and have been going stricly HD open air broadcasts ever since. I save a bunch of money every month and I still get great programming and I can Tivo it with my HTPC via MCE.
Old 06-12-05, 09:03 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Wow there's a blanket statement if I've ever seen one.
Alot of people watch broadcast TV (especially with HDTV concerned) but have Satellite or Cable as well.
Of course there's an exception to everything.

But that doesn't really apply as I'm talking about those who ONLY watch broadcast and thus will be forced to buy an HDTV if the Government actually forces broadcasters to abandon SD and switch totally to HDTV.

I imagine most people who are broadcast only either.

1. Can't afford cable or satellite as I said.
2. Or simply don't watch much TV

Again, I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's generally true. And these are the people who would be most affected by a full broadcast switch to HDTV.

But again, that's already been pushed back a couple of times and will probably be pushed back a few more times. HD, while taking off, is spreading much slower than they thought originally.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-12-05 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-12-05, 09:06 AM

Whatever you say.
Side Note: Am I now Pixy? I suggest you read more carefully when you respond and edit.

Worthwhile response. How am I even suppose to respond to that?

I seriously mean what I said. I have met so many people that refuse to play some games because they are to "kiddy"even if they are the game of the year. How can you call yourself a gamer if you refuse what the industry has deemed as close to perfect out of the 1000+ titles that came out that year just because you don't like the graphics?

The same thing is true for the "HD era" of games. If nintendo produces games that are spot on awesome and a blast to play and certain gamers refuse to play it because it fails to display in 720P or 1080i that is nothing but complete ignorance and self-denial of a great game. Screen resolution has little to do with gameplay, especially when you know developers will not be requiring a high resolution this generation for the game mechanics to work out of fear of a smaller user base. So all you get is a cleaner image, not an image that effects the gameplay.

I'm a hi-fi, hi-def buff. I design and build my own speakers. I have designed a custom 7.1 room for my game playing. I utilize a fine Denon reciever I am working on replacing with a home design as well. I had a TV with composite inputs and a 3 line digital filter 2.5 years before this generation of game machines come out. (That was nice stuff then) I don't say this to be like "Look at me, I am a hardcore audio/visual nerd" I say it because I want to convey the idea that I care about the quality of audio and video more then most gamers for sure. Am I disappointed that Nintendo may not fully support what I have, hell yes, it may be the death of them. But one thing I'm not going to do is pass up on a great gaming experiences out of a superiority complex.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 06-12-05 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-12-05, 09:06 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
The fact is the system will sell if has good games.
You give gamers way too much credit.

Many crappy and mediocre games sell tons.

And even when the hit games are universally considered good it's usually something (i.e. GTA) that I absolutely loathe.

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Gamers that choose to skip over the Rev. because it lacks full HD support are no different then those that refuse to play Zelda WW or Warioware: Twisted because they look childish; they are nothing more then self-denying graphic whores who put precedent on if it will make their "system" shine and make them feel more like a man.

While there are a lot of these people out there (and on this very board) that's still a bad blanket statement.

Some people simply don't like those types of games for reasons beyond graphics. Especially Warioware. While I love quirky games like that, some people don't. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-12-05, 09:11 AM

While there are a lot of these people out there (and on this very board) that's still a bad blanket statement.

Some people simply don't like those types of games for reasons beyond graphics. Especially Warioware. While I love quirky games like that, some people don't. Different strokes for different folks.
I didn't say anything about the gamers that don't have an interest in a title for its own sake. If someone doesn't like Zelda games, so be it. I don't have concern with that.

What I specifically addressed is people that refuse to play a game that fails to meet their graphical expectation. (In either childishness or HD) I know many people that fall into this category.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.