Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FFO or CC: Which one

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FFO or CC: Which one

Been fiending for some ol skool rpgs. So decided I might hit up EB for either Final Fantasy Origins or Chrono Cross

Which one should I pick up and Why?
Old 06-07-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Final Fantasy Origins over Chrono Cross for every reason imaginable.
Old 06-07-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrono Cross is old school?

Anyway, Final Fantasy Origins > Chrono Cross. Chrono Cross is a fairly mediocre game. Final Fantasy is okay, but I really like Final Fantasy II.
Old 06-07-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I enjoyed them at the time, I find NES RPGs to be boring and outdated now. Final Fantasy Origins glossy graphical update doesn't change that. Chrono Cross isn't the greatest RPG Square ever made, but it's still way better than playing the original Final Fantasys.

Personally though, I'd get Final Fantasy Anthology or Final Fantasy Chronicles though, if you don't have those already.
Old 06-07-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
FF I and FF II really aren't that great IMO. III was when the series really took off. I would go with Chrono Cross over those two any day. Not quite as good as Chrono Trigger, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its nice to play an RPG that doesn't require you to level up for hours on end.
Old 06-07-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
FF I and FF II really aren't that great IMO. III was when the series really took off. I would go with Chrono Cross over those two any day. Not quite as good as Chrono Trigger, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its nice to play an RPG that doesn't require you to level up for hours on end.
I'm not sure I like Chrono Cross's alternative, though: running through the game at full clip and never facing significant difficulty.
Old 06-08-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
picked up oriigins today. Should be fun

Oh yea, I already have FFA and FFC
Old 06-08-05, 09:56 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'm not sure I like Chrono Cross's alternative, though: running through the game at full clip and never facing significant difficulty.
I vastly prefer that myself. I hate challenging games. The ideal game for me is one that takes 15+ hours to get through without every getting signficantly frustrated or stuck.

I play games simply to kill time and unwind. More than enough stress in my life, don't want to add any with hard games.
Old 06-08-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
When I first saw this subject, I thought for sure the question was:
Final Fantasy Online Vs Crystal Chronicles!

Anyway, I played chrono cross awhile back, and only got about 1/2 way through it before I got bored and quit.
Old 06-08-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
When I first saw this subject, I thought for sure the question was:
Final Fantasy Online Vs Crystal Chronicles!

Anyway, I played chrono cross awhile back, and only got about 1/2 way through it before I got bored and quit.
I thought the exact same thing (I recommend Crystal Chronicles because of lack of load times and portability, by the way).

As for the real question... it depends. FFI and FFII are great games for their time, but certainly lack in every category when compared to modern RPGs. (I particularly hate FFII's battle system, where the most effective way to level up is to keep an enemy alive with a sliver of health, then go bash on your teammates).

I didn't find Chrono Cross to be that bad of a game, though by the time it came out I had completely forgotten what happened in Chrono Trigger, so some of the plot points that tied the two together were lost on me.

Have you finished Vagrant Story yet? I know it's not part of your original question, but I think it's a PS1 RPG that's usually overlooked.