Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

You are stranded on a deserted island with one game...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

You are stranded on a deserted island with one game...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Super puzzle fighter would be a good choice.
Old 06-05-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Socom [online] .
Old 06-05-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Good question.......

I'm thinking Heroes of Might and Magic 2 or 3. I may have spent a year of my life on that series so far, and I'm sadly not kidding.
Would have to go with that game as well.
Old 06-05-05, 07:31 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's tough as I get sick of any game after a while.

I guess I'd go with Tetris Attack (SNES).

Pretty much limitless playability and a few different modes to keep it fresh. Awesome multiplayer if I'm stuck on the island with another person.
Old 06-06-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pong.
Old 06-06-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Super puzzle fighter would be a good choice.

Good choice... only if your buddy was stuck on the island with you.
Old 06-06-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 979 Likes on 709 Posts
Morrowind. No question. I could play that game forever and never get bored.
Old 06-06-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
... what is it? Why?

Choose one game from one system*.

I'm not sure which game I would pick, but I'm curious as to which one y'all would.

* ... and no, there is no way to go "online" and play with others... it's just you.
PC: Fallout 2

the blood, the comedy, the endless character combinations. It's the perfect RPG with endless replayability.
Old 06-06-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Third Baseman
Socom [online] .
Sorry, you can't go online (we don't want you contacting anyone to help you get off the island).

I don't know what I would want-maybe one of the Tony Hawk games with a level editor, or Pirates!.
Old 06-06-05, 12:06 PM

I'm a rpg freak, so Suikoden 2 would be my choice.
Old 06-06-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

10 Yard Fight - 1983 (I think) arcade football game

I can play this game daily and never get bored of it. Sure it may get a little old if I play it for an hour straight, but I always want to play the next day. It's a great little distraction during the day when work slacks off.
Old 06-06-05, 01:36 PM

I'm a rpg freak as well, so Final Fantasy 7 would be my call. Great story and with well over 50 hours of game play, it would take me quite a few days to finish. I mean, with all the other things I would also be doing, (sleeping, looking for food, sleeping, looking for food, sleeping and the occasional bath) I'm betting I would be set for a few months even.
Old 06-06-05, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
I'm a rpg freak as well, so Final Fantasy 7 would be my call.
As a PC RPG'er, this strikes me as funny. Sorry -- I don't mean to threadcrap or pick on Darth Gamer; to each his own, and if you enjoy FF7, more power to you.

It's hard to pick just one game. I do know that there are about a dozen games I keep coming back to over the years: the Bard's Tale series, Ultimas 4 and 7 (both parts) the Baldur's Gate games, Fallout, Thief 1 & 2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Rise of Nations.

I guess, though, if push came to shove, I'd pick Civilization III. That's the one with the most replayability.
Old 06-06-05, 03:47 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by JasonF
As a PC RPG'er, this strikes me as funny. Sorry -- I don't mean to threadcrap or pick on Darth Gamer; to each his own, and if you enjoy FF7, more power to you.
Yeah, the RPG camp is pretty bitterly divided.

You hardly ever find someone who likes both PC/American style RPGs and Japanese style rpgs. Most seem to love one and hate the other. I'm a japanese rpg lover, american rpg hater myself.

Then among japanese RPG fans there's the bitter divide between those that only like the old school type games and those who prefer the newer post-FFVII rpgs heavier on story, dialog and cutscenes. I'm kind of mixed on that one.

RPG fans are a finicky bunch.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-06-05 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Halo 2
Old 06-06-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd pick either Morrowind with all of its expansions or Neverwinter Nights with all of its expansions.
Old 06-06-05, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Third Baseman
Socom [online] .
and if you can have Russell Johnson the professer with ya he could make you a headset using a couple of coconuts.
Old 06-06-05, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah, the RPG camp is pretty bitterly divided.

You hardly ever find someone who likes both PC/American style RPGs and Japanese style rpgs. Most seem to love one and hate the other. I'm a japanese rpg lover, american rpg hater myself.
Well, my first love will always be American-style RPGs, but I did play and enjoy FF1 and Dragon Warrior on my NES and FF7 and Legend of Dragoon on my PS. Come to think of it, I think I only got halfway through Dragoon -- one of these days I ought to go back and play it through. Do Zelda and Metroid count as Japanese style RPGS? I played those on my NES, too.

But I digress. It just struck me as funny that someone would describe themselves as an "rpg-freak" and pick FF7 as the single best game, since even among Japanese-style RPGs, it always struck me as not that great (i.e. if it hadn't have had the Final Fantasy name and hadn't have been released when the Play Station was hitting big, it would have sunk without a trace). It wasn't a horrible game -- like I said, I played it and enjoyed it -- but if I were a Japanese RPG fan, I would think I would have picked Xenogears or Parasaite Eve (and even here, you can tell that I'm at least 5 years out of date!)

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Then among japanese RPG fans there's the bitter divide between those that only like the old school type games and those who prefer the newer post-FFVII rpgs heavier on story, dialog and cutscenes. I'm kind of mixed on that one.
Maybe that's why Darth Gamer and others like FF7 so much -- it's got one foot in the old-school Japanese style of FF1 or Dragon Warrior, and the other foot in the cut-scene/dialogue world of newer RPGs.

But anyway, for my money, give me a Fallout or a Baldur's Gate -- a real story with lots of dialogue and lots of choices, but at the same time open-ended enough that I'm not "stuck on rails" which force me along a pre-determined path.

Last edited by JasonF; 06-06-05 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Probably Civilization III with both expansions. Though I like it the least of the three it has the most options and difficulty levels. The number of combos is pretty much endless, so I could get a new experience each time I played.
Old 06-06-05, 07:13 PM
Retired

Do Zelda and Metroid count as Japanese style RPGS?
No, those go under the adventure moniker in the console world. PC folk tend to call them action RPGs, since PC has a vastly different genre called adventure.

But anyway, for my money, give me a Fallout or a Baldur's Gate -- a real story with lots of dialogue and lots of choices, but at the same time open-ended enough that I'm not "stuck on rails" which force me along a pre-determined path.
It's the choices and especially the open-endedness that keep me from getting much into amerian style ones. Just not my cup of tea for whatever reason. I just prefer a tight story with a clearly defined linear path, with a few optional side quests here and there ala the final fantasy games.
Old 06-06-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tend to think of japanese rpgs as more like adventure games (due to their absolute linearity and limited character customisation) with some random battles and mini battles tacked on. Of course that doesn't mean they're great games though.

For this I would probably go Baldurs Gate 2, or Dynasty Warriors 5. Neverwinter nights would be good if I had access to mod downloads (pre installed maybe) but many of the ones I've tried really aren't very good.
Old 06-06-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something like Gal's Panic. A cheap puzzle game that rewards me with pictures of naked girls. I think that will keep me from going insane if I'm there awhile.
Old 06-06-05, 10:39 PM

easy...Castlevania:SOTN...
Old 06-07-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would probably have to go with Battle Toads, just because it would me until my death to beat the stupid game
Old 06-07-05, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=JasonF]Well, my first love will always be American-style RPGs, but I did play and enjoy FF1 and Dragon Warrior on my NES and FF7 and Legend of Dragoon on my PS. Come to think of it, I think I only got halfway through Dragoon -- one of these days I ought to go back and play it through. Do Zelda and Metroid count as Japanese style RPGS? I played those on my NES, too.

But I digress. It just struck me as funny that someone would describe themselves as an "rpg-freak" and pick FF7 as the single best game, since even among Japanese-style RPGs, it always struck me as not that great (i.e. if it hadn't have had the Final Fantasy name and hadn't have been released when the Play Station was hitting big, it would have sunk without a trace). It wasn't a horrible game -- like I said, I played it and enjoyed it -- but if I were a Japanese RPG fan, I would think I would have picked Xenogears or Parasaite Eve (and even here, you can tell that I'm at least 5 years out of date!)

Don't worry, I don't think your picking on me or my opinion. I have played many rpg's and I do tend to like the Japanese rpg's better than the American ones. I seem to prefer the very linear ones. One thing I can't stand is when I am playing a game that I have no clue what I am suposed to be doing or going next. I also don't care for the rpg's that are never ending like morrow wind. (Everquest is just not my cup of tea) I do agree with you that Xenogears, Parisite Eve, and Legend of Dragoon were all great games, (I still own them all) even though I would classify Parasite Eve more as a survival Horror game than an RPG. It is very hard to pick just one and if I really had to pick one game to play for a long time, I might change my mind. With so many good ones, this is actually a hard question to answer. I do also enjoy games like Fallout, Balders Gate and Champions of Norath but I question how you consider these to be more open ended and have more of a story than say a Final Fantasy 7. IMO, these are great games but some of the most linear and have the least amount of choices in the whole genre. Besides popping on a new set of armor, they are basicly a hack n' slash, walk this way, kill every thing on the board and move, mindless type of game. FUN, but mindless. Anyway, when it all boils down, it is a simple matter of opinion and even though there might be numerous better RPG's out there,(the Legend of Dragoon being one of them), I picked I think the one I have the most fondest memories of playing. If I really had to choose a game to play for the rest of my life, I guess I would have to pick Ghosts n' Goblins. This game is God Damn impossible and would take me the rest of my life to complete.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.