Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else here questioning the practicality of the GB Micro?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to overly criticize something before it even comes out but...

The GB Micro seems like a horrible idea. The screen is just too small! for anyone that's ever owned a Turbo Express, a small screen that plays games that were designed for a much larger screen, despite a sharp resolution, just does not work very well. Especially when it comes to obscure icons and text, it can be a huge headache. Regardless, it's just another of Nintendo's toys that's being pandered to the masses. I love my DS with it's backlit super-sharp screen.
Old 06-02-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
snip... let's stay ontopic

Maybe it is inconvenient. I don't know because I don't plan on buying it anyway. I don't even know how much smaller the screen is. I like using my DS for GBA games so I won't be purchasing this, but I guess your question will be answered by eventual reviewers of the system.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 06-02-05 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 05:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think it's not very practical and it also bothers me they aren't focusing 100% on DS at this point. Why go back to the past?
Old 06-02-05, 05:32 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems pointless to me as well.

But if it makes them some more money and helps keep them in business I have no problem with them suckering some people who feel compelled to buy every incarnation of the GBA out of some more $$$.
Old 06-02-05, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't even know how much smaller the screen is.
According to IGN, the screen on the GBA-Micro is 1/2 inch smaller (2.0 vs 2.5). Horizontally speaking that is.
Old 06-02-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was definitely one that didn't see this as something I would want. I understand why they are doing it, namely to boost holiday GBA sales (may or may not work), but just shrinking the thing down was not a big enough deal to me. They should have put in MP3 ability to make this more of a must own.

I don't see Nintendo as a pack of criminals stealing our money for releasing this thing, but I also see most people passing on it. They are talking about releasing the Play-Yan with it which could be cool and its a device that would work in regular GBAs and the DS.
Old 06-02-05, 05:45 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I've got no problem with it... but will I buy it? Not sure yet.

As far as I'm concerned, GBA and DS are two different beasts and its great that the DS is compatible with the GBA. But I have not interest in the DS **ducks a tomato** and am happy that Nintendo is treating them as different systems.

But I won't rest until they have it on a watch!

Old 06-02-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I still think the SP is a great system, taking form factor into account, and you can put it in your pocket without scratching the screen. I doubt I'll buy a third iteration of something they already roped me for twice.

They did say from the beginning that the DS is not the next Gameboy, so I guess I'm glad that they didn't announce the Gameboy 2 yet... giving the DS some legs, at least.
Old 06-02-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think i'll be buying one as I've got an SP but i can see someone who doesn't have one looking into the micro as another option, and that's who is the target audience. You can never have something that's too small in electronics. actually i'm sorta glad as it means they're still supporting the GBA, some of the best games this gen, even better than home consoles.
Old 06-02-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think the screen seems that much smaller so it should be usable but it won't replace the SP for me. Doesn't really look that fashionable either.

What I really wish they'd do is to focus more time on shrinking the DS down to something that is closer to SP size. At the moment I would like to buy the DS but I refuse to buy something that won't fit in my pocket (same goes for the PSP, but I can't ever see that getting smaller).
Old 06-02-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
I don't think i'll be buying one as I've got an SP but i can see someone who doesn't have one looking into the micro as another option, and that's who is the target audience. You can never have something that's too small in electronics. actually i'm sorta glad as it means they're still supporting the GBA, some of the best games this gen, even better than home consoles.
that is true. No need to force games onto the DS when they don't need the touch screen or the extra power. It's just... who doesn't have a GBA (that wanted one) by now? I think instead they are focusing on people who are looking to upgrade yet again...
Old 06-02-05, 07:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

You must have small pockets, the DS fits in mine with ease, you just put it in there vertically.
Old 06-02-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Normal size pockets and yeah even the SP is a bit tight. Factor in wallet, keys, mobile as well (occasional mp3 player).
Old 06-02-05, 07:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
Normal size pockets and yeah even the SP is a bit tight. Factor in wallet, keys, mobile as well (occasional mp3 player).
"You trying to compensate for something? Maybe coming up a little short there between the legs, Mr. Krueger?"

Sorry Chris, but I had to... couldn't pass it up... by the way the line is from Freddy v. Jason.
Old 06-02-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I played with one a couple times at E3, both times under 10 minutes time. While the screen is really sharp the one I played the first day had an RPG in it, the text was so small I think I would have got a headache if I played it very long. I heard somewhere that Reggie said thier target audience was kids up to 10 which may work out because someone with hands that small could use it comfortably.
Old 06-02-05, 08:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
I'm not going to overly criticize something before it even comes out but...

The GB Micro seems like a horrible idea. The screen is just too small! for anyone that's ever owned a Turbo Express, a small screen that plays games that were designed for a much larger screen, despite a sharp resolution, just does not work very well. Especially when it comes to obscure icons and text, it can be a huge headache. Regardless, it's just another of Nintendo's toys that's being pandered to the masses. I love my DS with it's backlit super-sharp screen.
I wouldn't compare the TG Express to the GBA micro. TG-16 games were MEANT to be played on a Television, GBA games are meant to be played on a handheld. Too different beasts. Comparing it to a Nomad is still a bad example, but a better.
Old 06-04-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really questioning the practicality of it, just how long it will take for stores to have them used, at which I point I'll buy one just for the novelty of it.
Old 06-04-05, 09:59 PM

Nintendo is really segmenting their handheld marketshare. They should really focus on the DS.