DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What Next-Gen systems will you be getting? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/423101-what-next-gen-systems-will-you-getting.html)

Tarantino 05-21-05 07:49 PM

Meh...probably none at launch, but eventually, I'll most likely get the X-Box 360. Hell, I've already got every NES, Super NES, and N64 game on my computer, so no need to get a Revolution.

Dawg 05-21-05 08:49 PM

I'm going to be getting the Revolution and the PS3.

I have to have my Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. The game download feature pretty much seals the deal with me. For the most part, I still have more fun with the pre-current generation systems.

The PS3 sounds excellent in terms of overall power and the inclusion of Blue-ray. I can get my EA Sports games.

I really have no interest in the 360 at this point, but that may change depending on launch titles. I have never been a fan of the Halo games and other first-person shooters. They bore the hell out of me. And to be honest, I hate Microsoft, as a corporation. Sorry, just a personal bias.

Setzer 05-23-05 12:02 AM

The PS3 was tops at E3. Totally blew me away. Nothing MS showed me has convinced me to buy a 360 at launch. I will eventually own one down the road but I'll wait for a price drop. Nintendo with their Revolution didn't excite me that much either but as with all Nintendo consoles I'll end up getting it at some point.

I own a PS2, Xbox and Cube and will likely have all the 3 of the next gen systems at some point but the PS3 will be first on the list. Can't wait for Spring 2006!

duff beer 05-23-05 01:11 AM

Revolution.

Also the best looking one too. :thumbsup:

Jtnguyen12 05-23-05 07:57 AM

2-D action always the best cuz i m 2-D fans. I got to have all SNES games w/ any cost ;)

RandyM 05-23-05 05:00 PM

Currently have xbox, but I'll be going ps3 because of Blu-ray, and maybe Revolution also depending on the price.

Trigger 05-23-05 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by duff beer
Revolution.

Also the best looking one too. :thumbsup:

If you like the look of cable modems. ;)

jeffdsmith 05-23-05 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trigger
If you like the look of cable modems. ;)

you are just jealous you can't make your fisher price analogies anymore.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/...9104230850.jpg

duff beer 05-23-05 07:10 PM

Why bother buying a PS3 if you have a computer.

Josh H 05-23-05 08:51 PM

Why bother buying a PS3 if you have a computer.

Because there will be great games on it in genres where PC gaming has little if any to offer (i.e. platformers, fighting games, and Japanese RPGs).

duff beer 05-23-05 10:27 PM

Revolution will take care of all of that.

Artman 05-24-05 12:57 AM

Article on CNN.com that I thought was interesting - I love the quote on PS3's power!

Pearson said the launch last week of Sony's PlayStation 3, a machine 35 times more powerful than the model it replaced, was a sign of things to come.

"The new PlayStation is one percent as powerful as the human brain," Pearson told the Observer. "It is into supercomputer status compared to 10 years ago. PlayStation 5 will probably be as powerful as the human brain."

duff beer 05-24-05 01:18 AM

1% is stretching it

tenaciousdave 05-24-05 02:30 AM

This guy also claima the PS5 will give digital immortality.

BTW this guy doesn't work for Sony, just some crazy loon.

Read the story here

Josh H 05-24-05 08:46 AM

Revolution will take care of all of that.

I hope so, but I'm not optimistic. PS2 was definitely the place to be this gen for platformers and RPGs.

Save Ferris 05-24-05 09:18 AM

1. X360 -- already have it preordered
2. PS3 at launch (unless its much over $400)
3. Revolution way down the line

Unless some game really grabs me, the revolution will have to wait awhile. I have a feeling I'll enjoy the Xbox the most (as I do now) because of the online features. Many of my friends dont live close to me and MS Live is the best for multiplayer action.

Legolas 05-24-05 11:54 PM

Depending on backward compatiable capability, probably all three.

Are there any definite (or approximate) release dates set yet?

Josh H 05-25-05 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Are there any definite (or approximate) release dates set yet?

X-box 360, definitely this fall, probably in November.

PS3 and Revolution, not until 2006, likely fall 2006, I'm guessing Nov.

BGPu 05-25-05 12:58 PM

Probably all 3, but my order of preference is:

1 - PlayStation 3
2 - Xbox 360
3 - Revolution

Right now, the Revolution is just a slick looking case with the promise of "more Marios and more Zeldas" and the ability to download retro Nintendo games. At this point, nothing about that seems revolutionary

GreenMonkey 05-25-05 03:52 PM

We basically had a launch PS3 because my g/f (now wife) convinced me to split it with her so she could get her reserve...but the only PS2 game I had for over a year was Tekken Tag (she had Smuggler's Run and like one other iffy game). I played PS1 titles on it mostly during that period. Hell, I spent more time playing Dragon Warrior VII then any of the PS2 games.

So -
Right now it looks similiar to the order I got all 3 consoles this gen. Except the revolution's backwards compatibility made it worthwhile to get it near launch instead of the PS3. Maybe I'll actually have some worthwhile games to play. :D

I only play a few FPS, and generally only really enjoy them multiplayer (Halo 2 being an exception - single player game is OK) and on a PC. Quake 2 was my last big FPS addiction. So the normal pile of Xbox racing games/FPS will mean I will probably buy one in 2008 or so (I bought an xbox & live account this January for Street Fighter Anniversary/Guilty Gear online).

1 Revolution
2 PS3
3 Xbox360

mr_jbloggs 05-25-05 06:05 PM

Commodore 64 (with Disk Drive)
Dragon 32
ZX Spectrum

Sorry, I'm a little behind when it comes to gaming.

edytwinky 05-25-05 06:51 PM

Only one for sure I'll be buying at launch is Revolution.

Still unsure on XBox 360 though. Depends what launch games they have.

sambo777 05-27-05 09:36 AM

Presently have 2 xbox's system linked in the house so that my son and i can have fun, but will pick up xbox 360 when it is released. This is goin to be one kick ass machine. Game lineup for it is awesome. When the revolution appears, probably will pick it up also. Since i have no desire to play ps games, it was a no brainer for me to have no desire to get ps3. Of course the sony hype machine is running hot again, making promises of gameplay and system capabilities that will never be realized, just like they did with ps2. I really am turned off by the way sony creates an illusion of wonderment surrounding ps3...

Setzer 05-27-05 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by sambo777
Of course the sony hype machine is running hot again, making promises of gameplay and system capabilities that will never be realized, just like they did with ps2. I really am turned off by the way sony creates an illusion of wonderment surrounding ps3...

So Microsoft isn't doing the same thing? -rolleyes-

Josh H 05-27-05 12:46 PM

Yeah, all companies do that. I just ignore the hype and don't start paying much attention until there are actually playable games out.