Psychonauts Game discussion

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Psychonauts Game discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you beat the
Spoiler:
last wrester kobra kong (or whatever he's name is.)
in the black velvet level.
Old 06-03-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

subtle tip:
Spoiler:
you'll never break his concentration....

not so subtle:

Spoiler:
confusion grenades

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 06-03-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-03-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Spoiler:
I had to talk to the bullfighter first, to get confusion
, but that worked.
thanks!
Old 02-03-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
This game is now available free via GameTap (no membership required). It's been free for a few months now, but ah well.
Old 07-02-21, 09:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
Re: Psychonauts Game discussion

Anyone pick up this game again? Or for first time? Fun? Holds up today? What does the optimization mean on an original Xbox game?
Old 07-02-21, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone pick up this game again? Or for first time? Fun? Holds up today? What does the optimization mean on an original Xbox game?
Didn't you already buy the game? Why you don't play it for yourself and then tell us the answer to all these questions.
Old 07-02-21, 11:17 PM

I was asking others opinions. Still unsure if I want to play it. Wanted to hear others opinions to help me decide. And wanted to know what the optimization of the game meant. Big fucking deal? Why don’t you take one of the controllers from any of the hundreds of game systems you have out your ass and understand sometimes I, possibly others, like to hear reviews/opinions, etc before I, possibly others, invest a lot of my time in a game.
Old 07-02-21, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

If only there was a place to get reviews.. oh wait!

Old 07-03-21, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was asking others opinions. Still unsure if I want to play it. Wanted to hear others opinions to help me decide. And wanted to know what the optimization of the game meant. Big fucking deal? Why don’t you take one of the controllers from any of the hundreds of game systems you have out your ass and understand sometimes I, possibly others, like to hear reviews/opinions, etc before I, possibly others, invest a lot of my time in a game.
Just like you ask for opinions with every post I'm asking for your opinion. I want you to give us the answer to those questions. You posted in the what are you playing thread with a picture of this game. So if you could let me know if this game holds up, what the optimization is, and if it's good. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-21, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Just like you ask for opinions with every post I'm asking for your opinion. I want you to give us the answer to those questions. You posted in the what are you playing thread with a picture of this game. So if you could let me know if this game holds up, what the optimization is, and if it's good. Thanks for the help.
how would i know if it holds up if i never played? i saw reviews and read reviews. they all looked good. so those were professional reviews. so i asked the community here, since game been out a long long time what they thought of THEIR experiences with this game. that's all. you don't want to share? fine gtfo of the thread then.
Old 07-03-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how would i know if it holds up if i never played? i saw reviews and read reviews. they all looked good. so those were professional reviews. so i asked the community here, since game been out a long long time what they thought of THEIR experiences with this game. that's all. you don't want to share? fine gtfo of the thread then.
Are you not part of this community? You posted in the What are you Playing thread that you were playing this game. If you could please let me know if it's good, if it holds up, and what the optimization is like. I would like to know before I start playing. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-03-21, 11:46 AM

you know Quest, you might be a genius gamer and literally play your life away with the amount of games you play and review and stuff, but doesn't mean you have to be less than a human being to others who are not God worthy in the gaming realms.
Old 07-03-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure what you're talking about. You bought Psychonauts I assume to play it. All I'm asking is once you're done let me know if it's good, if it holds up, and what the optimization is like. Thank you and I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Old 07-03-21, 05:59 PM

I will say this, it is an extremely fun and unique platformer, that I think many borrow from to this day. I feel this was way ahead of its time. I could be wrong. I know it got great reviews, but seems pretty groundbreaking for an almost 20 year old game!

Sure, the graphics, though still gorgeous colors, scenery, backgrounds, and movement pretty fluid aren’t today’s graphics, but it’s not bad at all. Not at all and certainly not distracting and feel as if you’re playing a very old game. Sometimes the older games today work and fun to relive, sometimes they are not.

If not for I believe, a wonky camera and frustrating save system (what’s the point of being able to save anywhere, but if you save at a specific point mid or almost finished with level, exit game and go back in, you’re at very beginning of level and have to recollect things, figments, everything and go through initial info again?). I don’t like that.

But, other than that I think a game very much advanced and beginnings of the great platformers and just even some early RPG elements that seem very similar in today’s games.

Still in beginning (Sarge’s brain training thing), but so far so great. Though I do hear Scarlet Nexus beckoning me. But, I might have to play little of both. Ugh. Too many games, too many choices. Which is why I resurrected this thread before I got such backlash for asking a simple question. But I’m beyond.

And, I guess the optimization must come with fast loading and perhaps some slightly enhanced graphics. I can’t compare as I never played on original Xbox.

But, too bad no quick resume. I mean it is kinda tough game and I die, but even when you die you don’t go to beginning of level, you go just before you die for most part, so I don’t get it or like the save system. I guess I would have to just pause and turn off Xbox? Would that work to save my place instead of all the way back?

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-03-21 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I guess I would have to just pause and turn off Xbox?
I don’t have firsthand experience with Psychonauts specifically, but I’m also reading that it doesn’t support Quick Resume (at least according to some folks on Reddit), so pause+power off won’t work.
Old 07-03-21, 07:16 PM

Ugh that sucks. I did find you can load a saved game and not actually start from beginning, I believe. I load, says last time I saved, but I know I was further along. But I think that is after I reopened a little bit after went back 1st time, but I believe if I save at specific point, I can load that game at that specific point and not start from beginning. Will test tomorrow.

When the game first start ups, Ras has to move and can go into 1 of 3 doors. New game, continue (which I believe means back to beginning of level), and load game. The load game is what will work, as it shows last saved time game slot…I hope.
Old 07-03-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the answers Oldboy! I appreciate it and now know what I'm getting in to when I decide to start playing.
The following users liked this post:
T-bone22 (07-10-21)
Old 07-03-21, 08:54 PM

Np.
Old 07-04-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Serious question, I’m assuming the new gen version has fixed the load times? I mean, it seems almost impossible it wouldn’t have, but I remember giving up on this because the load times were so incredibly bad, and that was back when ‘pretty awful’ was normal.
Old 07-04-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

New Gen version? What new gen version?
Old 07-04-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
New Gen version? What new gen version?
That’s my bad, I should’ve said new gen release. It’s the same version, but I would assume putting it on game pass means it no longer takes 2-3 minutes to load an area when you move through the game, but thought I’d check before I bother to download it.
Old 07-05-21, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
That’s my bad, I should’ve said new gen release. It’s the same version, but I would assume putting it on game pass means it no longer takes 2-3 minutes to load an area when you move through the game, but thought I’d check before I bother to download it.
there are no load times as far as i've seen. it's a second if anything from death to relife and even starting up game. very fast and absolutely not noticeable. Damn camera my only gripe and except for noticing the black bars going vertically once in awhile, this doesn’t feel like a two generation old game.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-05-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-11-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The sequel will have an invincibility toggle for accessibility.

Old 07-15-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Half of the fun of Psychonauts was the characters, settings, story, etc.

I never found all of the damn figments, and invincibility won't do anything for that, unfortunately.
Old 07-15-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

What was the other half?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.