Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sitting Out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 02:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I think the fact that the Rev. will support monitors out of the box is quite a statement that intend to bring it. Nice feature, especially for college folk.
Could be 800x600 resolution.

It's a deciding factor for me because right now no machine has HD exclusively. The Xbox will be out a year before the other guys so that's 1 extra year of HD gaming. If they were all coming out at the same time and all had HD then that's another matter.

I also really like XBL so that's another deciding factor.
Old 05-06-05, 02:31 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Apollo
You're right if the PS3 and Revolution are high def, but I seriously question if the Revolution will stay committed to high def. Remember Nintendo did drop the digital out port on the cube.
Certainly possible. Less likely to drop it this time as HD continues to spread, but hard to tell with Nintendo.
Old 05-06-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Could be 800x600 resolution.
I'm sure Nintendo would go through the trouble of the extra hardware cost for that... But hey, who knows. Perhaps the Revolution is a smokescreen and Nintendo is already secretly in bed with MS on the 360.
Old 05-06-05, 02:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I'm sure Nintendo would go through the trouble of the extra hardware cost for that... But hey, who knows. Perhaps the Revolution is a smokescreen and Nintendo is already secretly in bed with MS on the 360.
The Dreamcast was able to connect to a monitor with a $14.99 connection device out of the box, and it was 480p IIRC.
Old 05-06-05, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
The Dreamcast was able to connect to a monitor with a $14.99 connection device out of the box, and it was 480p IIRC.
Yeah, I use one occasionally. Doesn't work right with 2d games though.
Old 05-06-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll prob get what ever Nintendo comes out with at launch, and a month or two prior ebay off the old gamecube and games (only allow myself to have one console for lack of use)
Old 05-06-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
definitely going to hold off on the launch of the 3 new systems. I just bought my Xbox in November of last year. I've had my PS2 only for around 2 years, and my Gamecube a little longer than that. it sucks these things are coming out so soon.
Old 05-06-05, 04:46 PM

Maybe not sit out for a year but for awhile anyway. I see no reason to jump to the nextgen yet. anyway i'll definitely get Revolution first because of the exclusives and since it's backwards compatible with gamecube games, but probably not at launch, then PS3.

but ask me again after E3, I might change my opinion.
Old 05-06-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is going to depend on the software. If any of the three have games I want I'm sure I will break down and buy them. The Revolution is highest on my list with the PS3 second. I really see myself passing on the Xbox 360. There was very little I enjoyed playing on the Xbox as most of its AAA titles were in genres I didn't like.

I really want to keep it to one console this time out if the prices of software and hardware go up so its probably going to be between the Revolution and PS3 at first. I'll take a look at the games and decide.
Old 05-06-05, 07:24 PM

I will probably sit out for a little while but my decision on which console to buy will be determined by the online games. Despite the immature punks that you encounter from time to time, I enjoy the online gaming experience and the community of friends that I have developed.

The Rainbow 6, Halo, Crimson Skies along with co-op on Full Spectrum Warrior games have really sucked me in. So If the new X-Box or Sony console has better online games, then that will be the one I pick up.
Old 05-06-05, 08:47 PM

I'm gonna sit out; I still got Metroid for GC to finish and Metroid 2 to buy along with a bunch of other games. Wait for a price drop around christmas, and I'll get into the swing of things
Old 05-07-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Normally I wait for the first price drop, but this time I think I'll get it (360) at launch.

Unless the 360 tanks and they need to drop the price to get sales up, I don't see the price coming down on it that soon. Remember, it will be the only next-gen system for a year. I don't see it dropping when the other systems are released. Like Sony did with the PS2 in 2001, MS won't see the need to drop the price on their system because they know the others will sell out anyway, and those who have to have a new console for Christmas 2006 but can't get one of the other two systems will buy the 360 even if the price hasn't come down. I don't think the price will drop until spring of 2007.
Old 05-07-05, 06:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm undecided. I will probably get one the first time I find a 'good deal', maybe at launch, but it really depends on a lot of factors (backwards compatabilty, price, games at launch, my financial state that month, whether I'm dating at the time, etc).
Old 05-07-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah backwards compatibility is important. Being able to get rid of my x-brick might encourage me to get one earlier than I otherwise would.
Old 05-08-05, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probrobly get the next Xbox right away just so i can keep up with my LIVE friends.
Old 05-08-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be sitting it out, there lots of games already out (or coming out) for my Gamecube I want to play
Hell, still can't decide to get a DS/PSP or not
Old 05-08-05, 10:22 AM

I'm undecided to get one at launch or not, need to see upcoming software and features to really decide. Find out for sure what it will and will not have, too many rumours ya know!!
I will go with Xbox first, then maybe a nintendo. I always pass on the sony systems, so will probably do so again.
Old 05-08-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
For me it'll be the "sit, watch, and wait" approach with the new Xbox. Like with anything new it'll have some issues, bugs and such at first. I mean take a look at what happened with some of the first Xbox consoles off the line. The price will be at a premo and game selection will be alittle thin at first. Besides there's several good games out now that'll keep me busy for awhile. I'm never a one for that "got to have it first" mentality.

Kenny J. - Buzz