Reload this Page >

Rumor: PS3 3x the power of Xbox360

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-04-05, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually I don't post rumors, but this guy has been spot on a bunch of times, so we'll see. This also follows up some previous discusion about how the Xbox would be similar in power to the PS3.

Some interesting next-gen gossip has been sent my way by a reliable source. As we approach E3, the specs for both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are becoming more known among the developers, spurring some major chest thumping and “My CPU is bigger than your CPU” talk.

The consensus among these learned types is that the two systems have comparable GPUs despite using different companies (ATI and NVidia), but that the CPUs are a completely different story.

Word from the geek is that the PS3’s CPU is about three times faster than the Xbox 360’s CPU. While this seems like a clear cut victory for Sony, it does little to end the constant debate about which system will be able to provide better games. The problem with Sony’s super-fast CPU is that not all of its power may actually be usable in games. Bottom line: There could be a lot of extraneous horsepower under the PS3’s hood that’s mainly for show, not actual gaming.
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gossip/...360-102036.php

I actually think this is a brilliant marketing move by Sony. They restrict the power of the PS3 and a few years after launch, they send you a flash update and suddenly you have yourself an entirely new machine - effectively extending the lifespan of the console. I like it.

Does anyone think this could be true? That machines can be so much different power-wise? Or is this just the hype machine pumping away at Sony? Or both?

Last edited by joshd2012; 05-04-05 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still remember sony bragging about the Emotion Engine chip for the PS2, and the reality never coming close to the hype. I don't expect anything really different here.
Old 05-04-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 249 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
I actually think this is a brilliant marketing move by Sony. They restrict the power of the PS3 and a few years after launch, they send you a flash update and suddenly you have yourself an entirely new machine - effectively extending the lifespan of the console. I like it.
I disagree. Why not blow the consumer away right out of the box? Actually sounds kinda silly when you think about it.

I do agree with mad monk though. Can render Toy Story graphics in REAL TIME!!! still about that one. And still waiting...
Old 05-04-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hype.

Chest thumping! So true.
Old 05-04-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This rumor has been going around for awhile, but considering how much they overstated the PS2 power its doubtful.
Old 05-04-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rumors
Old 05-04-05, 09:37 AM
Banned

Well, I guess everyone assumes this is crap. Should I just delete this thread?
Old 05-04-05, 10:17 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think that the PS3 will indeed be more powerful than Xbox 360 due to it being released a year later -- how could it not be?? I don't think it will be that much more powerful though. Anyway I am definitely buying a 360....FPSs are my favorite genre and Xbox seems to be the only way to go.

wlj
Old 05-04-05, 10:21 AM

Well, I guess everyone assumes this is crap. Should I just delete this thread?
I think that everything at this point can be considered crap so if we're going to discuss next-gen at all, we shuold keep this sort of thing.
Old 05-04-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was an article online a month or so ago that mentioned some of the developers noticing that the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox360. I don't know how reliable that is either.

I think its pretty much a given that the PS3 will be more powerful than the Xbox360. 3 times more powerful sounds like complete bullcrap to me though.
Old 05-04-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
I think its pretty much a given that the PS3 will be more powerful than the Xbox360. 3 times more powerful sounds like complete bullcrap to me though.
Too true, but I don't think the article says it's three times as powerful, just the thread title. The article lists the CPU is three times faster, which certainly doesn't mean it's three times as powerful.. but then it also goes on to say that the extra power could just be for "show" and not for games.
Old 05-04-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My CPU is bigger than your CPU
-duel-
Old 05-04-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard the PS3 can get even the nerdiest geek laid. It will sell millions!
Old 05-04-05, 11:07 AM
Retired

Can't believe them after the PS2 hype, as mentioned above.

However, I'm sure it will be more powerful. It comes out full year later (and hell if the Xbox 360 isn't flying off shelves and the PS2 is still selling I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold off longer) so they have time to see what the 360 can do and make the PS3 more powerful. I really think launching early will come back to bite MS. Time will tell though.
Old 05-04-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 365 Likes on 280 Posts
Well, they can't make that many tweaks to the hardware in a year... I'm sure they have to finalize it relatively early, if only for the developers to get cracking.

There's also no reason to limit the power early on... they did this for the PSP, but that was only to extend battery life until they could come up with a better battery. And any kind of 32x/N64 upgrade thingee is going to be frowned upon anyway.
Old 05-04-05, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, they can't make that many tweaks to the hardware in a year... I'm sure they have to finalize it relatively early, if only for the developers to get cracking.

There's also no reason to limit the power early on... they did this for the PSP, but that was only to extend battery life until they could come up with a better battery. And any kind of 32x/N64 upgrade thingee is going to be frowned upon anyway.
See, if its only a flash upgrade, then what is the big deal? One day Sony sends the file to your machine, and it becomes even faster. New games show up to take advantage of it, and it feels like you have a new console.

But I also remember heat being an issue with the Cell at high speeds. Possibly this is the remedy that by underclocking?
Old 05-04-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully it's true. I'm all about competition. Let's see what kind of games these guys have and we'll let that decide who's better.
Old 05-04-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Hopefully it's true. I'm all about competition. Let's see what kind of games these guys have and we'll let that decide who's better.
Seriously, I can't wait to see NFL 2K6.
Old 05-04-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See, if its only a flash upgrade, then what is the big deal? One day Sony sends the file to your machine, and it becomes even faster. New games show up to take advantage of it, and it feels like you have a new console.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in all the next-gen talk.
Old 05-04-05, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in all the next-gen talk.
Its a much better approach to extending console life rather than hardware add-ons (Nintendo and Sega). I'd rather have my console updated for free, rather than pay money for it.
Old 05-04-05, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Ahh.. the Sony Hype Machine (tm) So it begins
Old 05-04-05, 01:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

There's already a PS3 thread, I'm closing this one.
Old 05-04-05, 01:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417764