Reload this Page >

XBox 360 (with PICS!!!)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox 360 (with PICS!!!)

Old 05-13-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Also, will the HDD be BIGGER? will is be like an external HDD?
If you look at the pic above, the HD is the piece sticking out from the top that looks to be about 1/2 - 1 inch thick.
Old 05-13-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From IGN's coverage of the MTV event:

Eight games were shown -- seven viewable, one playable. Perfect Dark Zero was the only playable title, and it was underwhelming, looking early, dark, and chugging at under 20 FPS. This was clearly an odd strategy on MS's part. Why show Perfect Dark Zero to celebrities show don't even know who Rare or Joanna Dark are? Plus, Rare hates showing early games. Why would they show this before it was ready? We're not sure.
Old 05-13-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I don't mind the size of the console..they gotta put all that carp inside anyways. I guess I have the room though, and my original XBOX is fine with me. (sizewise that is)
Yummy! An Xbox that will make sushi!

Speaking about the insides of the 360, I wonder which manufacturer built the DVD drive.

Also, will the HDD be BIGGER? will is be like an external HDD?
The harddrive will be upgradeable, so if you mean bigger as in memory, then yes. It probably won't get physically bigger than what it is now and yes this is an external harddrive. If you have the unit standing vertically, it is located at the very top.
Old 05-13-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it looks like the MTV show was a step backwards at least to actual gamers. Do you think they drew attention from the mainstream audiences though? The guys at Penny Arcade seem to be on the same wavelength at least.

So how about that Xbox 360? I am assuming that everyone watched the MTV show last night and I am also assuming that we all agree it was garbage. The important thing to understand here is that, much like Twisp and Catsby that show was not for us. When I say us I am referring to the hardcore. The sorts of people who perhaps downloaded a torrent of last nights MTV show. The sorts of people who had to call their cable company to find out what channel MTV was on. The sorts of people who had their Tivo or media PC grab the show for them so that they could watch it at their leisure. Last nights unveiling of the Xbox 360 was not for us it was for the people who were already watching MTV. It's true, there are human beings out there who watch MTV in the same way your mom might watch ABC. Sitting through show after show and watching as rides are pimped and celebrities are punked. Last nights show was for them and when you look at it that way I have to say I think the show was a success. I cannot imagine those sorts of people not being entertained for the entire 30 minutes by the flashing lights and famous people. Gaming is cool now. Isn't that awesome.
On the subject of Penny Arcade, the whole MTV affair reminds me of one of my favorite strips of theirs, posted here not for humor's sake (as there really isn't any) but for an illustration of where gaming was going and still is going today.

Old 05-13-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by The Franchise
From IGN's coverage of the MTV event:

Eight games were shown -- seven viewable, one playable. Perfect Dark Zero was the only playable title, and it was underwhelming, looking early, dark, and chugging at under 20 FPS. This was clearly an odd strategy on MS's part. Why show Perfect Dark Zero to celebrities show don't even know who Rare or Joanna Dark are? Plus, Rare hates showing early games. Why would they show this before it was ready? We're not sure.

I noticed that PD0 looked like it was running really poorly on the few occasions that they actually showed it being played "live". I can see why they didn't show the tv screens during that tournament much at all.

I did like how it looked when they showed more complete portions of the game, although it was still a little underwhelming compared to what I'd expected to see.
Old 05-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I missed the HDD on that pic....I would display mine Horizontal though...I mean how many Home Theatre component racks let you put your carp (crap) vertical. Oh well...if it's short enough, it would fit that way. We'll see come Novemberish, eh
Old 05-13-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the whole case customizable? I wonder if a black option will be available, and not just faceplates.
Old 05-13-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Is the whole case customizable? I wonder if a black option will be available, and not just faceplates.
Good point. I would love to have mine in all black or silver but think it would look rather stupid if the back of the console was white with a black faceplate.

Unfortunately, I believe every source has mentioned only swappable faceplates.
Old 05-13-05, 11:49 AM

Well I just saw the MTV special this morning and all I can say is that was 30 minutes wasted of my life. It was all hype and no substance. I'm 44 years old, but very young (emotionally) for my age.

Watching those 20 somethings talking trash and playing Perfect Dark Zero, was mind numbingly awful and did nothing to sell me on XBox 360. That being said, I will still buy it on opening day, because I'm a sucker for the hype.

But it was still a waste of 30 minutes. Even the lead singer of The Killers was singing off key, so that wasn't even fun to watch.

Chris
Old 05-13-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sony now has 43 percent of the U.S. video game console market with PlayStation 2, compared with Xbox at 19 percent and GameCube at 14 percent, according to Jay Horwitz, an analyst with Jupiter Research. He predicts the new Xbox will grab 38 percent of the U.S. market by 2010, overtaking PlayStation 3 by 6 percentage points."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7835722/

If you really think about this I guess it is time. Sony shafted Nintendeo, and now Microsoft is going to shaft both of them. Microsoft has a habbit of doing that. Give it twenty years and I'm sure they'll all be working as a nice happy family. I mean look at MS and Apple now.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 05-13-05 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-13-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Centurion
Good point. I would love to have mine in all black or silver but think it would look rather stupid if the back of the console was white with a black faceplate.

Unfortunately, I believe every source has mentioned only swappable faceplates.
Yeah, I'm not really into the white thing, though it certainly wouldn't be a factor in my decision to purchase the console at all. There were a couple of color options on the Xbox 1 (most of them in Japan only, though we did get the Irish Spring-colored Mountain Dew Xbox and the ugly clear-green Halo one) so hopefully there may be a black option down the line. As it stands now (I'll wait for E3 to make a better guess) I'll probably wait until the first price drop, so I'll hope for a black box in that timeframe.
Old 05-13-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yeah, I'm not really into the white thing, though it certainly wouldn't be a factor in my decision to purchase the console at all. There were a couple of color options on the Xbox 1 (most of them in Japan only, though we did get the Irish Spring-colored Mountain Dew Xbox and the ugly clear-green Halo one) so hopefully there may be a black option down the line. As it stands now (I'll wait for E3 to make a better guess) I'll probably wait until the first price drop, so I'll hope for a black box in that timeframe.

one word for ya. Krylon
Old 05-13-05, 12:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Some good discussion going on here, but let's port it over to this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422226

Or this thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422228
Old 05-13-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
one word for ya. Krylon
Eh, I sprayed a spare NES black and it's not the same at all.