Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox 360 (with PICS!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
This is really a damned if you do damned if you don't, you do realize that? People will bitch & moan either way.
Of course, which could be said for just about anything that can go two ways.
If you have only one configuration, then there really isn't a choice to make now is there.
Old 05-08-05, 11:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Centurion
Of course, which could be said for just about anything that can go two ways.
If you have only one configuration, then there really isn't a choice to make now is there.
Nope there isn't & people will complain about no choice at all.
Old 05-08-05, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Ugh... The damn controller cord is on the wrong side of the controller - DreamCast style. That is so stupid.
I think there were talks about Microsoft making the removable HD a Shiatsu massager as well. This way you could put the Xbox 360 on your back, lean up against it while sitting on your sofa, and get a nice massage while playing...hence the controller cord should go behind you.
Old 05-09-05, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Nope there isn't & people will complain about no choice at all.
OK, at first, I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to say. Now, I understand...

There's another saying that goes like this: "You can't win 'em all!"
Old 05-09-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts
That would be true, if it weren't for the fact that Sony will be using Memory Sticks (unconfirmed rumor)! No more memory cards!

I bet they'll use the stupid memory stick duo's though. Those things are quite expensive. I can kind of understand why they would with the PSP since the thing is so small but I hope they utilize the regular mem stick in the home console.
Old 05-09-05, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanman
I bet they'll use the stupid memory stick duo's though. Those things are quite expensive. I can kind of understand why they would with the PSP since the thing is so small but I hope they utilize the regular mem stick in the home console.
The reason for using the Duo in the PSP is so you don't have a larger memory stick, sticking out the side of the thing while you are trying to put it in your bag or pocket. I see no reason why they would restrict the PS3 to only use Duo. But even if they do for some odd reason, every PSP owner out there already has a memory stick that will work with PS3. I'm pretty sure the 512MB of space I have will be enough for all my PS3 and PSP game files.
Old 05-09-05, 09:19 AM
Banned

For as much crap as I see given to Sony about their claims of Toy Story graphics on PS2, it appears Sony wasn't the only one with such ambitions:

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

This is from the original Xbox launch, mind you, so I can't wait to see they claim this time. Only a few more days to wait.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+got+ga..._3-250632.html
Old 05-09-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For as much crap as I see given to Sony about their claims of Toy Story graphics on PS2, it appears Sony wasn't the only one with such ambitions:

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

This is from the original Xbox launch, mind you, so I can't wait to see they claim this time. Only a few more days to wait.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+got+ga..._3-250632.html

That statement is only slightly different then claiming it can render Toy Story 2 in realtime.
Old 05-09-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts
The reason for using the Duo in the PSP is so you don't have a larger memory stick, sticking out the side of the thing while you are trying to put it in your bag or pocket. I see no reason why they would restrict the PS3 to only use Duo. But even if they do for some odd reason, every PSP owner out there already has a memory stick that will work with PS3. I'm pretty sure the 512MB of space I have will be enough for all my PS3 and PSP game files.
I already mentioned about the size. but you hit on a good point which will probably mean they will use the duo. compatability with the PSP. Then again doesn't every Duo come with an adapter?

But this is the XBox thread. So sorry about the diversion.
Old 05-09-05, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanman
I already mentioned about the size. but you hit on a good point which will probably mean they will use the duo. compatability with the PSP. Then again doesn't every Duo come with an adapter?

But this is the XBox thread. So sorry about the diversion.
Well, I think the thread has sort of taken a "next-gen" spin. But yes, most Duos come with an adapter to fit the normal size Memory Sticks.
Old 05-09-05, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
That statement is only slightly different then claiming it can render Toy Story 2 in realtime.
I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but there is no difference. My PSOne can display Toy Story graphics if pre-rendered. I'm pretty sure he is talking about rendering Toy Story graphics in real time.

I'm having a tough time finding the quote about how the PS2 will beable to render Toy Story graphics in real time. You have a link?

Edit: The only reference I can seem to find is this from a NewsWeek article:

Taking advantage of the new technology requires real money. The average budget to produce a game on Sega's Genesis in the '90s was about $200,000. For today's PlayStation and Nintendo 64, it's around $2 million. Many designers expect development costs for a PlayStation 2 game to jump to at least $4 million. Part of that expense goes to creating "Toy Story 2"- quality computer-generated movies; Capcom hired a film director to handle the opening sequence for Onimusha, its samurai-versus-the-undead adventure game. Its imagery ranges from the dramatic (an army of shambling undead warriors backlit by an enormous moon) to the sublime (a single tear falls from the hero's face and splashes in the dirt at his feet).
Doesn't quite claim the PS2 can render Toy Story 2 in real time. In fact, it explicitly says "computer-generated movies".

Last edited by joshd2012; 05-09-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-09-05, 11:55 AM

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but there is no difference. My PSOne can display Toy Story graphics if pre-rendered. I'm pretty sure he is talking about rendering Toy Story graphics in real time.

I'm having a tough time finding the quote about how the PS2 will beable to render Toy Story graphics in real time. You have a link?
I haven't looked for the link but I remember it being said about the PS2 (for as much as my verification is worth ) but I hadn't heard it about the XBox until this thread. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing more than "conceptual takes" of what the next-gen consoles will be able to do.
Old 05-09-05, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gp98
I haven't looked for the link but I remember it being said about the PS2 (for as much as my verification is worth ) but I hadn't heard it about the XBox until this thread. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing more than "conceptual takes" of what the next-gen consoles will be able to do.
I found the article, with some help, which got the entire PS2 and Toy Story thing rolling:

The new microprocessor will allow users to handle nearly 50 times more 3-D image data compared with Sega Enterprises Ltd.'s (7964) Dreamcast game console. It will also let users produce game characters comparable in image quality to Walt Disney's Toy Story.
Some writer in Japan got creative and decided to make claims that weren't backed up by Sony or first hand experience. I'm still looking for where this guy came up with this, but it looks like Sony is getting a bad deal because of something a reporter made-up.

http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/ww.../n990228b.html

I'll keep looking.
Old 05-09-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
I'm waiting to see a next-gen tale on the "render Toy Story in real time" bit:

XBox 360 can render the Incredibles in REAL TIME!! Eat that Sony!

Old 05-09-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Well, I think the thread has sort of taken a "next-gen" spin. But yes, most Duos come with an adapter to fit the normal size Memory Sticks.
Only duos made by sony come with the adapter. So people that bought sandisk are out of luck, if they do indeed force them to use non-duos.

Aren't they phasing out non-duo memory sticks anyway? I haven't seen a vaio lately, but are they using the duo sticks?
Old 05-09-05, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Only duos made by sony come with the adapter. So people that bought sandisk are out of luck, if they do indeed force them to use non-duos.

Aren't they phasing out non-duo memory sticks anyway? I haven't seen a vaio lately, but are they using the duo sticks?
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/mspd.asp

Not sure where you are getting your information, but Sandisk does sell Pro Duos with the adapter. I know because I have one (and that link above). I think you are thinking of the gaming line which do not have the adapters. You pay less to get less.
Old 05-09-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate when companies make these stupid rendering claims. Everyone knows that it's BS, I can't understand why they still continue to make them. No one buys a system based on the rendering speed now why can't the marketing departments at these companies get that through their thick skulls.

Last edited by jiggawhat; 05-09-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure where you are getting your information, but Sandisk does sell Pro Duos with the adapter. I know because I have one (and that link above). I think you are thinking of the gaming line which do not have the adapters. You pay less to get less.
Yeah, I just bought a 512mb Sandisk and it came with the adaptor which is nice because I can just put it straight into the card reader on my PC to update the files. The gaming ones are the only ones without the adaptors.
Old 05-09-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out this new Dark Sector game trailer for next gen machines. Looks amazing!

http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=292
Old 05-09-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Ah, I'm sorry, you're right. I've never seen sandisk non-gaming ones before, so maybe that's why I made the assumption. So how much more do the non-gaming ones cost?
Old 05-09-05, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ah, I'm sorry, you're right. I've never seen sandisk non-gaming ones before, so maybe that's why I made the assumption. So how much more do the non-gaming ones cost?
$39 for non-gaming and $43 for the gaming (Amazon). Looks like you pay more for the pretty colors
Old 05-09-05, 04:45 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
info from mp3, recorded at the MTV taping.
Hardware:-

* DVD burner
* tivo capabilities
* customization for your xbox (faceplates)
* wireless
* text messaging on XBL
* xbox live button on the controller that pops up a menu with live options

The Games :-

Perfect Dark Zero
* Playable
* 22 weapons, able to import your own body
* you can fly with a jetpack on the map
* counter strike feel
* invisibilty gun
* strapped to wall gun - shots people when they walked by.

A new Medal of Honor game
* Battlefield like

A new Ghost Recon game
* Ghost Recon 3 with some new HUD

A medieval rpg. Possibly Elder Scrolls Oblivion
still looking for the mp3.

Last edited by goLUCKY; 05-09-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 out of 4 are FPS. That's awesome.
Old 05-09-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hardware wise very impressive, software wise the same stuff I didn't like the last time I owned an Xbox. I'm still waiting to see what the Japanese developers release, but its looking more and more like something I will pass on. I don't like FPS and I have no interest in playing them no matter how well done they are.
Old 05-09-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a ton of leaked info posted on a bunch of sites. Having a couple of tiers of Xbox live is an interesting features if true. I'm skeptical of the 3x 3.2Ghz cores in this thing. If that's teh case they'll need liquid-nitrogen cooling to keep it from burning down your house!

2 types of Xbox Live:
Xbox Live Silver (no subscription required)
Xbox Live Gold (subscription benefits)

Features for Gold service
* Also for Silver
# Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
- Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) *
- Free Xbox Live weekends *
- Multiplayer online gameplay
- Motto for gamer profile * #
- Personalized look for Xbox System Guide * #
- Offline achievments * #
- Online achievements *
- Access to other players’ Gamer cards via Live *
- Cumulative gamer score * #
- Location/language profile * #
- Reputation *
- Enahnced matchmaking using above
- Skill level matchmaking
- Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
- Recent players list *
- Free and premium download game content *
- Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv *
- Downloadable demos/trailers *
- Microtransactions *
- Custom playlist in every game * #
- Play music from portable devices * #
- View images from digital camera * #
- Strem media from Windows XP * #
- Interactive screen savers * #
- Track info for CDs * #
- Communication with voice, video or text *

360 HW:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.