Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop buys out EB

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies to anyone here who does this, but paying $44.95 at these places for a used game is ridiculous. Same with the $17.99 used for a $20 title.
Old 04-22-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dcswirl
My apologies to anyone here who does this, but paying $44.95 at these places for a used game is ridiculous. Same with the $17.99 used for a $20 title.

Who does that?
Old 04-22-05, 07:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Yep, I think we all know to pay only $14.99 new for all budget games, using the BB $5 coupons at BB or CC.
Old 04-22-05, 04:33 PM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts
Although the used price on a recent title may be $45, if you bought recent titles like this, you would get the 10% off discount card EBgames sells. Also, they are always running a Buy 1 Get 1 for half off, or some deal like that, so you could easily get two recent games for under $30 a piece.

My biggest gripe about buying used games at EBgames is that there is no less than 6 stickers on the case that are impossible to remove without leaving a gummy sticky mess. The other big gripe is that I almost always end up buying a game they don't have available factory shrinkwrapped, so even though I get charged new prices, I get the display case, again with several stickers on the case. Last time I was there, I made the guy find a game case without stickers on it to swap out with if he wanted me to buy it.
Old 04-22-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
Although the used price on a recent title may be $45, if you bought recent titles like this, you would get the 10% off discount card EBgames sells. Also, they are always running a Buy 1 Get 1 for half off, or some deal like that, so you could easily get two recent games for under $30 a piece.

My biggest gripe about buying used games at EBgames is that there is no less than 6 stickers on the case that are impossible to remove without leaving a gummy sticky mess. The other big gripe is that I almost always end up buying a game they don't have available factory shrinkwrapped, so even though I get charged new prices, I get the display case, again with several stickers on the case. Last time I was there, I made the guy find a game case without stickers on it to swap out with if he wanted me to buy it.
Okay, you explained why you'd buy stuff used there... now why would you buy anything new there, especially if they sell you open games? Do you have that much credit there or something?
Old 09-07-05, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11337

SEC approves merger of GameStop and Electronics Boutique

Ellie Gibson 10:02 07/09/2005
US retailers see rise in share prices as result of commission's decision

US retailers GameStop and Electronics Boutique have cleared another hurdle in their bid to merge following the approval of the deal by the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

The companies announced that the proposed merger had been "declared effective" yesterday and share prices rose steeply as a result. Since the deal was first announced, both firms have seen their stocks rise in value by over 50 per cent.

Investors will get the chance to vote on the merger at the annual stockholders meetings, scheduled for October 6. The boards of directors for both EB and GameStop have already advised investors to vote in favour of the merger.

If it's approved, the merger will be concluded soon after the meetings. Operating under the name of GameStop, the company will own more than 3200 stores in the US, with about USD 3.8 billion in annual revenue.

It's thought that the new firm will then look at ways of expanding into Europe - Electronics Boutique recently acquired Spanish retailer Jump and is known to have further ambitions to build on its foothold in the region.

Chris