Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Box problems.

Old 04-16-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
X-Box problems.

I was going to play a game today on my X-Box but it is doing something it has never done before. The screen is really scrambled and looks like crap. I checked all of the wires to make sure nothing had came loose. Do you think it has seen its better days? I have had it since Jan. 2002 and have never had a problem with it until today.
Old 04-17-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I was going to play a game today on my X-Box but it is doing something it has never done before. The screen is really scrambled and looks like crap. I checked all of the wires to make sure nothing had came loose. Do you think it has seen its better days? I have had it since Jan. 2002 and have never had a problem with it until today.

how do you have it hooked to your tv? which box? svideo, RGB, or just the video. you might want to try a new way of hooking it in and a new cable. if it is one of the early xbox svide or hd packs that has the box you might want to get a new one those are known to go bad over time.
Old 04-17-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to try opening it up and cleaning it.
Old 04-17-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
how do you have it hooked to your tv? which box? svideo, RGB, or just the video. you might want to try a new way of hooking it in and a new cable. if it is one of the early xbox svide or hd packs that has the box you might want to get a new one those are known to go bad over time.
No, just an RF adapter. Everything else including the Cube and PS2 work just fine. The last time I played a game on my X-Box was Monday and it worked like a charm. BTW, how do you open up the Box and clean it? Thanks guys for any help you throw my way.
Old 04-17-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'd replace the RF one hooked to the xbox. before you open it up. also i'd clean the contacts on the video port on the back of it with some of the contact cleaner you can get from radio shack.
Old 04-17-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
BTW, how do you open up the Box and clean it?
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open1.php

Once its open, clean everything with a can of compressed air. That might do the trick.
Old 04-18-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try a new RF. If that doesn't work, I will open it and try to clean it. I figure it is screwed up anyway so what the hey...
Old 04-18-05, 09:38 AM
RVP

Thanks for the site on cleaning the xbox. Mine has been acting screwy lately and giving me the "i can't recognize this disk" message. I think I will try to pick up some Torx screwdrivers and compressed air and clean it out.