Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Coming soon: ads in video games

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming soon: ads in video games

Found this over @ CNN/Money site - Sounds like this will no doubt enhance the gaming experience

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Advertising, already ubiquitous in movies and on television, took a step into video games Monday as Massive Inc. launched a network to place and serve ads within games...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/11/tech...reut/index.htm
Old 04-11-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No need for the "coming soon" in the title -- go play Need For Speed Underground 2. I traded that game back in for this very reason.
Old 04-11-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see the BIG deal. I would like to see some REAL ads on billboards in baseball games or in Hockey games. Adds to the realism a bit.
Old 04-11-05, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, this is really getting out of hand. Next thing you know, corporations will be paying Internet users to pimp their products in discussion forums like this one. Not coke, though. Their crisp refreshing taste is enough, no extra advertisement necessary. Mmmmm....aaaaahhh!
Old 04-11-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is so true, I know I enjoy a cold refreshing Coca-Cola with my Big Mac from McDonald's.

:waits patiently for $5 check from Mickey-D's:
Old 04-11-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Wasn't this announced some time ago?

I remember as far back as the original Wipeout, where they had billboards for Red Bull (which at the time, wasn't even released in America yet). Not to mention all of those old branded games like Dominoe's Noids.

I would get upset if they put them on loading screens or something, especially because that would give them incentive to keep long loading times...
Old 04-11-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a pic of The Matrix Online featuring a nice big billboard of the movie "Constantine".

Now if Neo sees this ad does he know he's in it?
Old 04-11-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I myself can't wait for the day someone creates a way for ads to be holographic popups in real life. I mean how cool would it be if your flying down the interstate and see a car you think you may like and then a popup could magically appear with an ad for that exact car? or better yet, how long before they can just plug us in to the advertising highway? all ads, all the time. nothing but ads. you see ads when your eyes are open. you see them when they are closed. maybe one day tv will learn that all I want to see is ads. I don't watch for the shows. I am also anxiously awaiting for my tivos to get upgraded so I can FF the the shows and get more ads while doing so.
Old 04-11-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
No comment on my biggest concern.
They mention 'like TV', but the difference is, network tv is free, subsidized by the advertisements. Will this lower game prices, or simply jack up profits?
Old 04-11-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care about advertisements in video games. I seen them in some games and they don't bother me at all. I think they add more realism to a particular game.

Just as long the Ad don't pop up like it does in the internet. (imagine: press (B) to exit pop up )
Old 04-11-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I sure hope the game prices will drop as a result of this,if not then this is total BS.
Old 04-11-05, 11:56 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I sure hope the game prices will drop as a result of this,if not then this is total BS.
I agree.

I see the realism point, but I don't like realistic games so it's a moot point for me since I like platformers, RPGs, etc. set in non-real world environments.
Old 04-11-05, 12:04 PM

I'm guessing prices won't drop.
Old 04-11-05, 12:38 PM
Retired

Oh, I don't expect either. Just another way for game companies to line their pockets. Increase game prices next gen and put more advertising in games.
Old 04-11-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Birdfeed? Chocobos gotta eat too....
Old 04-11-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't mind it in games where it fits, ie. most games taking place in the present, but if I start seeing ads that are way out of context I won't be happy.
Old 04-11-05, 02:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kar10
Just as long the Ad don't pop up like it does in the internet. (imagine: press (B) to exit pop up )
I think the backlash would be so high if someone tried this that nobody would dare try it again.
Old 04-11-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can anyone say GREED! they're going to hell i just hope they get punched in the face when they get there.
Old 04-11-05, 03:55 PM

More of same -

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.gam...eut/index.html
Old 04-11-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Man, lot of uproar over this... Maybe I should read the article...

playing devil's advocate for a second, my local movie theaters now show lots and lots of advertisement before and after each feature, which doesn't even take into account the product placements in the movies themselves. And unlike TV, going to the movies isn't free either. Prices are actually going up! Are people in an uproar over that?

Of course, the day my TIVO gives me ads when I'm fast-forwarding through commercials is the day when enough's enough...

Or here's a thought: instead of just being annoyed by unskippable cutscenes, unskippable ads!

Last edited by fujishig; 04-11-05 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxflier

i think this is to offset the rising development costs

it's something like $12 million per game these days. 10 years ago everyone thought Chris Roberts was crazy when he spent a fraction of that to make Wing Commander.
Old 04-11-05, 05:02 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by fujishig
And unlike TV, going to the movies isn't free either. Prices are actually going up! Are people in an uproar over that?
Yeah, there's been the occasional thread about it in various movie forums.

Annoys the piss out of me and my friends, and I hear other people griping about it next to me fairly often as well.
Old 04-11-05, 06:11 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I myself can't wait for the day someone creates a way for ads to be holographic popups in real life. I mean how cool would it be if your flying down the interstate and see a car you think you may like and then a popup could magically appear with an ad for that exact car? or better yet, how long before they can just plug us in to the advertising highway? all ads, all the time. nothing but ads. you see ads when your eyes are open. you see them when they are closed. maybe one day tv will learn that all I want to see is ads. I don't watch for the shows. I am also anxiously awaiting for my tivos to get upgraded so I can FF the the shows and get more ads while doing so.
I sincerely hope you are joking...

For a disturbing look at that very future, read the young adult science fiction book Feed, by M.T. Anderson. I just finished this, and it was NOT a place I'd want to visit, much less live in...
Old 04-11-05, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
I sincerely hope you are joking...

For a disturbing look at that very future, read the young adult science fiction book Feed, by M.T. Anderson. I just finished this, and it was NOT a place I'd want to visit, much less live in...
I was definately joking. I was just making the joke of how far this could be taken.
Old 04-11-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

didn't read the article, but ads in games in nothing new. I remember the first ad i ever saw that i can recall was i Wave Race 64. And that was ok, because in a racing game, or even if you went to a real jet ski sporting event, you would see advertisements along the sidelines. Now if they start cramming ads in before games, or make them intrusive, i'll definitely get upset. I understand it's expensive to make games, but i have to deal with enough ads in tv, movies, internet, i don't want to deal with it just to enjoy my games.

Last edited by Outlaw; 04-11-05 at 07:36 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.