Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 and Xbox 2 to debut at this year's E3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I hate the location of the left thumb stick.

It should be reversed with the D-pad, and basically in the same place as on the GC and X-box controller, with the staggered dual sticks.

One: left analog and digital switch
Two: the handles/grips are too skinny.
Three: they could lose two shoulder buttons
Four: shoulder buttons, I prefer the "trigger" like ones. It feels more natural

very minor Five: go with the flow, A,B,X,Y. Square, Triange, Circle, X is annoying.
Old 04-14-05, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the PS2 controller and I hope they never change it!

It looks like GamesIndustry.biz has confirmed that the next Xbox will be called "Xbox 360" and it will be a white concave box that can stand on its base or its side (similar to PS2).

My imagination is running wild with how horrendous this thing is going to look next to my black tv and black components.
Old 04-14-05, 01:02 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Old 04-14-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Can't wait for the first post that says that Penny Arcade is never funny...

I'm surprised Sony doesn't make their console silver, like their DVD players, their WEGA tvs, etc.
Old 04-14-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm curious why you find the controller uncomfortable, and what you would do to improve it.

It's probably the number one reason I don't have a game system today. I hate hate hate hand held controllers.

-----

BTW.. is there a roll call for people going to E3? I know I'm going...
Old 04-14-05, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
All I know is that the PS3 will not even get a consideration if this is still the standard:

This is the most uncomfortable controller, this side of the Dreamcast, IMO. They really are needing some innovation in this deparment.
I concur 100% My hands get cramps playing with these controllers. I really like the GC controllers.
Old 04-14-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ceeece
I concur 100% My hands get cramps playing with these controllers. I really like the GC controllers.
The GC controllers probably still feel like new since the GC has a game released once every quarter?

kidding kidding.... (please don't hurt me)

The Dual shock could use some improvement. A tiny screen would be cool to show custom displays pertinent to the game being played. Probably wont happen though. Revolution might use an all touch-screen controller which would suck. You need some tactile feedback.
Old 04-14-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo

It's probably the number one reason I don't have a game system today. I hate hate hate hand held controllers.

-----

You do know they make joysticks these days, right? Mostly for fighting games, and the lack of analog sticks means you can't play most games with them, but that's what you get for having all these buttons... Or you can get that steel batallion controller...

That's the first time I've seen someone prefer the Gamecube controller in general. I mean, I like it for the games it's designed for, but even after I'm used to it it's a pain to control most third party games.

I'd rather keep the four shoulder buttons, though I do see where people like the trigger buttons better. I'd much rather have the two extra buttons on the top than like the black and white buttons on the Xbox controller.
Old 04-14-05, 03:30 PM

I have all 3 consoles and my favorite controller is the Xbox S-controller. If they could take the black & white buttons and move them to the top like the ps2 R1, L1 shoulder buttons it would be the shit. The problem I've been having lately playing ps2 is that my hands start to cramp up a bit. The S-controller tends to fit perfectly.
Old 04-14-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the Cube controller as well. I really hated it when I first saw it, but after using it I've just grown to really like how natural and comfortable the "odd" button layout is. While I agree there are probably some games out there that would be hindered by it, most games lend themselves to work rather well with the layout. The D-pad is pretty useless though.. I've got four imports that are all 2D and it's just a pain (a slight pain, but still) to use the analog stick on them. The C-stick is workable, but would probably fall to useless state for full dual analog use (FPS games).

In my opinion though, I like all 3 controllers well enough. I think each could be improved in their own ways for the next round. The only first party controllers I've ever really hated were the N64 and Dreamcast controllers.
Old 04-14-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
I have all 3 consoles and my favorite controller is the Xbox S-controller. If they could take the black & white buttons and move them to the top like the ps2 R1, L1 shoulder buttons it would be the shit. The problem I've been having lately playing ps2 is that my hands start to cramp up a bit. The S-controller tends to fit perfectly.
My friend had a 3rd party S-styled controller that did have the black and white buttons moved in front of the triggers.. I have no idea what brand it was though. Of course, I can't think of a game that uses those two in any fashion that they would need better placement.
Old 04-14-05, 04:04 PM
Retired

I love the gamecube controller and have had no problems using it with 3rd party games with the exception of fighters as I prefer the D-pad there and the GC's D-pad sucks. It's just a super comfy controller IMO and fits my hands perfectly. Especially the countoured triggers. The z-button sucks too but most games I play don't use if for anything major.

I'd rank this gens controllers:

Wavebird > GC (plain) > X-box Type S > Dual Shock > Original X-box (worst controller ever IMO)
Old 04-14-05, 04:35 PM

I could name a few games that would benefit greatly from the black & white buttons being at the top.

NBA street: Pulling off tricks without those shoulder buttons made me get it for ps2.
SSX 3: Same as above.
NFL 2K5: The stiff arm move was on the B&W buttons. That sucks big monkey balls since you're either tapping A to go faster or holding A to hit stronger. Unless you have two thumbs (you freak) it's kinda hard to get it right.

Other reasons are that when you're in the heat of battle it's annoying to have to look for those buttons. I for one am not used to hitting buttons in that placement. Anyway why not have them as shoulder buttons when you have more than enough space for it? The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to outright copy sony's dualshock.

BTW: Keeping the triggers is important and something that the dualshock 3 needs. I prefer the trigger type buttons to the ps2's R2, L2 setup.

Last edited by SteelgearX; 04-14-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-14-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PS2 controller improvements I'd make:
- Just make the thing a little bigger, or at least have a PS2 S Controller available that's bigger. Really the xbox original is more my style.
- For god sake, get some damn decent analog sticks! The xbox, and even the gc controller have such better fidelity it makes me cry. Also whatever fidelity the ps2 sticks do have seems to get lost after about 3-6 months of average usage. I won't be able to play a fps properly on a PS console until they fix this!!
- Wouldn't mind losing 2 of the shoulder buttons as well.. or maybe convert 2 of them to triggers and have the other 2 at the back as smaller normal buttons.

cmon sony you can do it!
Old 04-14-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I think it's good that there are going to be ps3's, xbox 2's, and nintendo revolutions, i think this is the first year where I'm not really that interested. It's a bit too early for me, I still haven't even picked up a DS or PSP yet. I'm sure we'll see some impressive tech demo videos. Maybe some of them will even make it to a game. But I've got a pretty big backlog of games and am perfectly content, there's still a lotta life left in the Gamecube, PS2, and X-Box.
Old 04-14-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Outlaw
While I think it's good that there are going to be ps3's, xbox 2's, and nintendo revolutions, i think this is the first year where I'm not really that interested. It's a bit too early for me, I still haven't even picked up a DS or PSP yet. I'm sure we'll see some impressive tech demo videos. Maybe some of them will even make it to a game. But I've got a pretty big backlog of games and am perfectly content, there's still a lotta life left in the Gamecube, PS2, and X-Box.
Ha! That's what I said last generation. And I STILL have a boatload of PS1 RPGs that are unfinished...

Although I bought a PS2 at launch, I did hold off buying a GC for almost a year and an Xbox for longer... but I know I'll get roped in again. I wasn't planning on buying a DS or PSP either...
Old 04-14-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have always said that gameplay>graphics. This coming generation I will be testing my own belief by not buying any consoles until I complete a list of must play titles from this generation.*

*IF Nintendo does deliver a true revolution I may make an exception...
Old 04-14-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by ceeece
The GCN is the most comfortable controller this gen, IMO. It is the button layout that is an issue. Z button? What a pain in the ass to get to. But I guess it is no worse than the Black/White buttons on ANY Xbox controller.

Hopefully Nintendo will step up and put 2 actual analog sticks on there. They are one company that does try and innovate the controller. I like that.
Old 04-15-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo

-----

you find the control unconfortable i.e. cramps your hands after awhile of playing or you have retarded hands and can't control your guy worth a damn. i find the ps2 control very hand cramping, but the xbox fits to your hands well just like one of those 70 microsoft mouse for you pc. on the other hand i have friends that have retarded hands and can't control they guy in games like Halo so they think the controler is the worst thing ever when it truns out to be they are the worst player ever.

by the way that NES control is the shit i had one when i was a kid
Old 04-25-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just FYI, I guess Toshiba just had a live demo of the Cell processor. No polygon pushing but the chip simultaneously decoded 48 SD channels and displayed them all in upconverted high-def with the chip still partly idle! Kinda cool to see at least some estimate for how powerful it will be...

linky: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...49/?ST=english

ps. Doesn't it look like there's a bottle of Absolut vodka in the middle of the chip?

Last edited by The Franchise; 04-25-05 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-25-05, 11:10 AM

Absolut PS3. I can see the ads now!
Old 04-26-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard a rumor from somewhere that the Ps3 might not be as great in technology over the Xbox360 so Sony can mass manufacture the machine way earlier than the planned arrival date to meet the demand unlike the launch of its Ps2. It was on some Japanese site, I will try to look for it.
Old 04-26-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
I heard a rumor from somewhere that the Ps3 might not be as great in technology over the Xbox360 so Sony can mass manufacture the machine way earlier than the planned arrival date to meet the demand unlike the launch of its Ps2. It was on some Japanese site, I will try to look for it.
Considering how many thought that the launch of the PSP was a failure because sony (for once) was able to keep their systems on the shelves for more than a weekend, I doubt that they'll give up power for increased production. Unless MS is just losing a ton of money on the new system, and Sony thinks their lead is enough to come out with an inferior system to save costs.

Most likely: they'll under-manufacture a superior machine, but cut costs in production, yielding a machine that breaks down in some fashion within a year or two.
Old 04-26-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The GCN is the most comfortable controller this gen, IMO. It is the button layout that is an issue. Z button? What a pain in the ass to get to. But I guess it is no worse than the Black/White buttons on ANY Xbox controller.

Hopefully Nintendo will step up and put 2 actual analog sticks on there. They are one company that does try and innovate the controller. I like that.

Yeah, the problem with the GC really great or really bad depending on the game while the Xbox and PS2 controllers have a better average performance.

Your definitely right about the 2 large analog stick on Nintendo's controller. That little yellow analog makes no sense when another main analog could just as easily be used to control in game cameras.
Old 04-26-05, 08:03 PM

well, i for one love the dualshock design. I for one love the placement of the analog stick and the d-pad. I have a GC too, and its controller is just too damn small. the d-pad sucks too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.