Reload this Page >

Dual Shock controllers wont work

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-26-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was playing my PS2 last night and everything was working perfectly. Then today I turn it on and only the analog control sticks on both my Dual Shock controllers will work in the game...no other buttons will work. If I don't even have a game in the only button that I can get to do anything in the PS2's main menu is the down button.

The weird thing is that I stuck in my dance pads and all the buttons on them work perfect. So what would make the Dual Shock controllers not work all of a sudden?
Old 03-26-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zodo
Ok, I was playing my PS2 last night and everything was working perfectly. Then today I turn it on and only the analog control sticks on both my Dual Shock controllers will work in the game...no other buttons will work. If I don't even have a game in the only button that I can get to do anything in the PS2's main menu is the down button.

The weird thing is that I stuck in my dance pads and all the buttons on them work perfect. So what would make the Dual Shock controllers not work all of a sudden?

My Dual Shock pauses the game over and over again. My PS1 dual shocks and dance pads both work fine. I guess the PS2 is combatible with everything but the controller that comes in the box.
Old 03-26-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had controller issues with the new slim PS2. I will be playing and it will tell me the controller is unplugged and I will have to jiggle the cord to get it to start working. At first I thought it was just a bad controller, but the second controller I switched to started doing it as well. No idea what causes it.
Old 03-26-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It just seems really wierd since I've had my PS2 for years, and I've never had any controller issues until this morning.
Old 03-26-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The PS2 pause issue is to do with your dual shock controller getting a bit dodgey - either getting old, or maybe due to repeated hurls across the room. The wiring starts to get a bit dodgey and the console will not detect the controller for maybe a split second (or longer). Smart games that detect this will pause the game, because effectively you aren't able to control your character while there isn't a working controller plugged in.
Old 03-27-05, 01:04 AM

Could it have gotten a shock from static electricity? wearing thick socks on carpet, etc. I zapped a 3 month-old DS and lost all but the select and start buttons a few weeks ago. Using my old gray DS i bought for the PS1 and it's been holding up great.
Old 03-27-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both controllers at the same time though? One was plugged in, and the other was all wrapped up and not connected at all.
Old 03-27-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

looks like someone's going to be dancing to devil may cry 3 now! good luck with those combos
Old 03-28-05, 10:39 AM

Go for the Logitech wireless. You'll never go back to cords again.
Old 03-28-05, 10:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Just go to the store and buy a new one-

Crap.
Old 03-28-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Maybe Sony is disabling the Dualshock technology due to the upcoming lawsuit... :P
Old 03-28-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
Maybe Sony is disabling the Dualshock technology due to the upcoming lawsuit... :P
Old 03-29-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upcoming? They lost a couple of days ago. $90M in damages and ordered to stop selling PS/2 with Dualshock controllers and 40 titles which contain the technology. However, they were issued an injunction so they can continue sales until they appeal or licence the technology.
Old 03-29-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Just go to the store and buy a new one-

Crap.
Are you saying buy a new PS2 or a new controller? B/c I'm pretty sure buying a new controller won't do anything as the problem seems to be with the PS2 itself.

Also, nuts to paying for a brand new PS2 now, when the PS3 is right around the corner.
Old 03-29-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Uh, why do you think the problem is with your PS2 and not your controller? You said yourself that the DDR pads work fine. Best bet is to borrow a friend's controller and see if it works.
Old 03-29-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's the PS2 b/c I have 2 dual shock controllers, and both of them were working just a few days ago - but now neither of them work.

I will try one of my brothers controllers though just in case.
Old 03-30-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Microsoft paid the company to sue Sony. To put some more damage on them in the console wars. Yes that has to be it. So now the controls will vibrate all to hell like a woman's sex toy. Damn Microsoft they take over everything.

Oh wait back to real life. Make sure all the contacts on the control are meeting all the contacts on the console. 9 times out of 10 problems with vibration on any system is due to a bad ground wire inside the control. I've fixed a few XBox controls that had problems like this by replacing the cables and cleaning all the contacts etc. I also did it once to my ps1 way back in the stone age.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 03-30-05 at 06:03 AM.