Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo "Revolution" Pre-E3/E3 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
what exactly does "backward compatible" mean?
It means to play games from their previous hardware ie Playstation 1 games are playable on PS2 because PS2 is backwards compatible.
Old 03-11-05, 05:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 977 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by Ispep Aloc
It means to play games from their previous hardware ie Playstation 1 games are playable on PS2 because PS2 is backwards compatible.
oh, ok. i thought that backwards meant something was screwy with the controls with the old games on the new system. so control scheme on joystick will pretty much be the same, whatever joystick they use?
Old 03-11-05, 05:25 PM

i've always loved Nintendo and had everyone of their system at some time or another. no matter what they do, they must start out with a WIRELESS CONTROLLER (on launch this time) similar to the wavebird...no question bout it!
Old 03-11-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Backwards compatibility is pretty cool. IMO the xbox is the one that needs it most since I can't wait to get rid of that brick. My gc which is still working fine takes up relatively little space so i'm in no hurry to chuck it.

I'm certainly more excited about the new zelda right now and I haven't got RE4 yet so between those two it will be quite a lease of life for the gc (baiten kaitos and fzero are the other 2 games I just haven't got round to getting..).

The revolution will be pretty much business as usual for me. I will looking out a new zelda game (hopefully more in the style Ocarina of time than windwaker), f-zero, mariokart, any action rpgs. a new mario game. Of course there's this whole revolution thing. Maybe it will be taking multiplayer party style games like donkey konga online?

The hardware, ati on powerpc, shouldn't cause devs any headaches.
Old 03-11-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i've always loved Nintendo and had everyone of their system at some time or another. no matter what they do, they must start out with a WIRELESS CONTROLLER (on launch this time) similar to the wavebird...no question bout it!
I agree. Having bought extra controllers to play multiplayer and then the WB comes out months later sucked. Period.

Wireless on release day is the only way to go. I wonder what everyone else's opinions are on this...
Old 03-11-05, 08:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely want wireless at launch. If not a pack in, then just make them available to buy at launch.
Old 03-11-05, 08:25 PM

I kept two wired and got two Wavebirds. The way I see it is we (Gamecube owners) got the best controller on the market, period. If we are able to play GCN games on Rev. than a GCN controller must work. A whole new control scheme must only apply to Rev. games and the way it sounds everything will be wireless/WIFI next go round.
Old 03-12-05, 10:02 AM

i don't even own a wired for my GC, and haven't since i bought the system for the 2nd time a year and a half ago. sold the platinum wired for pretty decent money.
Old 03-12-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 157 Posts
Even though the GC isn't very big, backwords compatability was a big selling point for me, just because I don't really want more than two consoles at a time... So definitely it'll be the Revolution and...either XBox or PS3. Jury's still out on those two...certainly the X-Box is a front-runner, but it's not etched in stone.

Oh and I forgot - if PS3 doubles as a (good) blue-ray player...man that'll be huge, might change my mind.

Last edited by Artman; 03-12-05 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-12-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,432 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I agree. Having bought extra controllers to play multiplayer and then the WB comes out months later sucked. Period.

Wireless on release day is the only way to go. I wonder what everyone else's opinions are on this...
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I've been playing since the Atari 2600 days, and I spent many an hour just a few feet from my TV screen playing Asteroids and Enduro, and I turned out just fine. My wife and I do have two Wavebirds, but we certainly don't consider them musthaves.

I'd like to see a controller that can do both, with an attachable cord for when your batteries die or whatever.
Old 03-13-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by milo bloom
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I've been playing since the Atari 2600 days, and I spent many an hour just a few feet from my TV screen playing Asteroids and Enduro, and I turned out just fine. .
same here. except now I have a nice big tv and the couch is ten feet away and draping 4 controllers with 4 extension cords is ridiculous.
Old 03-13-05, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
With these recent announcments and Zelda screening this question is lingering in my mind: is Nintendo finally willing to meet consumers half-way?

So the Zelda that was going to come out for the Gamecube is going to come out for Revolution instead?
Old 03-13-05, 06:23 PM
Retired

NO, that Zelda is coming for the GC this fall.
Old 03-15-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I've been playing since the Atari 2600 days, and I spent many an hour just a few feet from my TV screen playing Asteroids and Enduro, and I turned out just fine. My wife and I do have two Wavebirds, but we certainly don't consider them musthaves.
If you were trying to play MarioKart or Mario Party 6 with 4 people tethered to your GC, you'd be singing a MUCH different tune!

Trust me - 4 person Donkey Konga is pushing it!
Old 03-15-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If "Revolution" is indeed backwards compatible, count me also in on being an early adopter... although I don't think I'll join the madness on launch day, maybe a month or so later.
Old 03-15-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So those that say they are sold on Rev. b/c of backwards capability, does that mean you already own a GCN? Or are you looking for a reason to finally pick up some of the current generation games cheap and still be able to play them w/o getting a GCN?
Old 03-15-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already own a GC but being able to still play my GC games without adding another console is bonus for me. When the new consoles go in, the old ones go out due to spacial limitations but that doesn't mean I still don't want to play the old games.
Old 03-15-05, 03:28 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I already own a GC but being able to still play my GC games without adding another console is bonus for me. When the new consoles go in, the old ones go out due to spacial limitations but that doesn't mean I still don't want to play the old games.
Exactly, I have a decent size entertainment center, but it's jam packed. No more room for anything else without getting rid of something first.