Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Devil May Cry 3 -- Reviews & Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts
Devil May Cry 3 -- Reviews & Impressions

Well, I didn't even know this was out so soon. IGN's review just went up. It scares the hell out of me. I thought the first game was hard; this sounds like it's the hardest game of this generation. It might be an awesome game, it sounds like it is, but I think I'll pass. I can't handle that level of difficulty in my casual gaming.
Wondering what the hardcores will think of it.

Anyway, here's the summary, FWIW:
Closing Comments
I wish I could convey in words just how good Devil May Cry 3 really is. I know that I've already gone on for three pages with reasons why I think you should care about it, but I'm not sure if I've done it enough justice. Just believe me when I say that Dante's Awakening has everything. It has the fun, the depth, and the look. It has the reason to skip school, the reason to call in sick to work, and the reason to reconsider that Friday night date. It has five difficulty settings (all challenging, most insane), plenty of secret missions, unlockable bonuses and costumes, an easy to use interface, and more brain-twisting puzzles than the first two games combined. In other words, it's the reason you bought a PlayStation 2, now go and enjoy it.

IGN's Ratings for Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (PS2)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
Lightning-fast load times, an easily accessible interface, and the best storyline of the trilogy make Dante our new favorite guy.
9.0 Graphics
Completely reengineered from the ground up, Dante's Awakening rarely slows down and moves at 60FPS. The environments are huge and beautiful and are supported by terrific designs.
9.0 Sound
Dolby Pro Logic II used to its fullest. It has creepy sound effects, a killer soundtrack, and A-level voice-overs. Do you really need anything else?
10 Gameplay
One of the best action games of the last decade. An extremely deep customization system, plenty of combos, massive challenges, and excellent physics can go a long way.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
More than a dozen secret missions, multiple difficulty settings, a flexible gameplay engine, and a compelling storyline makes it easy to come back to.
9.6 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
Old 02-27-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm happy in the pants
Old 02-27-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
[Ed] YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH BOOYYYYYYYYYY[/Ed]

Im sooo looking forward to this game, I even pre-ordered it It comes with a cool t shirt.

Last edited by zero; 02-27-05 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 07:08 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering how dissapointing DMC 2 was, if this is as good as they say I will be extactic!
Old 02-28-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I can't wait! I may even pick up a GH of DMC1 just to relive the fun and get psyched for this one!
Old 02-28-05, 03:34 PM

I loved the first Devil May Cry; it's one of my favorite games of this generation. But, I never played the second because of all the bad press and reviews it received. Is it really that bad? Will I be dissapointed since I hold the first title in such high regard?
Old 02-28-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I'm glad to hear the DMC 3 got such good reviews thus far. I loved the first one. Most likely will be picking this one up when it comes out.
Old 02-28-05, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mijang
I loved the first Devil May Cry; it's one of my favorite games of this generation. But, I never played the second because of all the bad press and reviews it received. Is it really that bad? Will I be dissapointed since I hold the first title in such high regard?
I hated the 2nd one and loved the first. The better you think the 1st one is, the more youre gonna dislike the 2nd. It was a huge dissapointment for me, and it was one of the very very few games I have ever payed full price for.
Old 03-01-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I share your pain, menaz. I too paid full price for the second. The first one was hard even on the easiest difficulty setting and a whole lot of fun. If there's one thing I didn't like about it was that the story line was half-assed at best, the fact that the game was divided into chapters, and the voice acting was hohum.

Fortunately, those things were minor compared to all the great gameplay and sense of fun it had.

The second was a great opportunity to expand on what made the first so great but instead the new crew behind it seemed to like everything that sucked and added a whole lot more of it along with glitches galore, a horrible camera system, an even more nonsensical plot (seriously, I had no idea what the hell Dante was doing or how I even got all those medalions he was apparently looking for) and way too easy gameplay. Honestly, why did Dante even have swords in the second game when you could shoot everything to death in the blink of an eye?
Old 03-01-05, 03:24 PM

Well, it looks like I'll continue to stay far away from DMC 2, but as soon as DMC 3 goes on sale...that's another story.
Old 03-01-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
This review scares the shit out of me:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3138650&did=1

I hate unfairly hard games.
Old 03-01-05, 06:34 PM
Banned

You know, I don't like reviews that claim is bad because it is hard. Contra is probably one of the hardest games in all time, but it is a classic. I'm definitely picking this up. I should beable to fit it into my schedule sometime this summer
Old 03-03-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just found out that my friend has a copy in hand for me, and he's bringing it to my room tomorrow... happiness and sunshine, and cute little puppy dogs!
Old 03-04-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Contra is probably one of the hardest games in all time, but it is a classic.
i agree, bUt i thoUght, for some oDD reason, that it was Less haRd LateR in life...

I'll be checking DMC3 out, if I ever finish Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.
Old 03-04-05, 11:46 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MrKen
i agree, bUt i thoUght, for some oDD reason, that it was Less haRd LateR in life...

I'll be checking DMC3 out, if I ever finish Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.
could you Be Anymore obvious?

something about that two gun action (shooting two targets at once) makes me want to dust off the ole PS2 again...
Old 03-05-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I spent four hours playing it tonight, and I'm happy to report that it indeed does kick ass, unlike DMC2, which managed to suck and blow at the same time. First off, I was happy to find they left in the cool additions that were present in DMC2, such as the bullet shower and two-way shooting(which you can control now).
A change in the controls now allows you to real-time switch between your different guns by simply pressing L2, and melee weapons with R2. Inventory, map, etc. are accessed via the D-pad. Though there is still the issue of off-screen enemies, I haven't had the problem of Dante disappearing from the screen, or misdirection from camera angle changes.
The game is difficult, as enemies sometimes continually spawn in large groups to rape you mercilessly; at times the action is even more frantic than the original. However, at least through Stage 4, I don't think this is anything a DMC veteran couldn't handle - a frustrating reason it is so difficult is that when you die, you start the stage over from the beginning. At least when you die you keep everything you had collected(at least if you save state), so after dying a few times you have a good stock of red orbs to buy health items with.
I would recommend it to those who have a stomach for DMC or Ninja Gaiden.
Old 03-05-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-05-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Lovely.

I was about to post it. You beat me!
Old 03-05-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
So does Dante still float in the air when he shoots his guns or have the programmers changed it back to a slower decent?

How's the music?
Old 03-05-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So does Dante still float in the air when he shoots his guns or have the programmers changed it back to a slower decent?

How's the music?
Dante has a slow descent while firing in the air.
The music is mostly heavy rock, with TONS of bass.
Old 03-06-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to get my hands on this. I'm not a great gamer by any stretch (I hit trouble spots/brick walls in nearly EVERY game I play) but I didn't have a problem at all with the first edition of DMC. Which makes it so odd to hear so many claim how tough it was. It wasn't a breeze, but I never got stuck...or maybe I did and I was just having too much fun shooting demons all badass like to notice?
Old 03-06-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Damn..I stop playing games and got rid of my PS2 after the DMC2 abomination. Now I'm trying to get one back just play to play the prequel.
Old 03-10-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got this. I hate paying full price for any game that isn't an RPG but I absolutely had to have this and I'm not disappointed. I'm only on level three after almost three hours of play and instead of being frustrated I'm actually having fun leveling up Dante and his weapons. I love this game!
Old 03-10-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Damn..I stop playing games and got rid of my PS2 after the DMC2 abomination. Now I'm trying to get one back just play to play the prequel.
Slightly off topic but is the fat PS2 (the one with a slot for an HDD) discontinued? I ask because I was at an EB today and a manager was arguing over the phone with a customer and she was insisting that the fat PS2 is discontinued and the only way to get one was to buy one used.
Old 03-10-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That is how I understand it to be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.