Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How many Gamecube games are Progressive Scan?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After playing THUG 2 on my Cube today in Progressive Scan (even though the back of the box doesn't mention it), I threw in Alien Hominid. I was shocked that it too was capable of Progressive Scan. The game is unbelievably sharp in PS (well, compared to before anyway...).

My question is, how many Progressive Scan games are out there that are unadvertised? Is there a reliable list anywhere?
Old 02-27-05, 01:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

You wouldn't believe how much better it is in 720p over 480p, if you have an Xbox try it with that, it's awesome. A few GCN games support it, I believe the biggest titles typically do.

I googled it and found this pretty quickly http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/gam...p=no&r480p=yes
Old 02-27-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GC 480p = 47 Results
GC 720p = 0 Results

PS2 480 = 30 Results
PS2 720p = 0 Results

Xbox 480p = 241 Results
Xbox 720p = 22 Results
Xbox 1080i = 4 Results

Dreamcast 480p = 20 Results
Old 02-27-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I googled it and found this pretty quickly http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/gam...p=no&r480p=yes
That is pretty much the list AFAIK.
Old 02-28-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Here's the site I usually use when I'm looking for specs for any of the systems. It has 99 480p games listed for Gamecube:

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/gamecubelist.htm

It looks like this list is missing a few from the other list, too, so I guess there's over 100 progressive scan Gamecube titles.
Old 02-28-05, 03:49 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Easy question, how do you enable 480p with the Gamecube? I have the component cable, but I haven't gotten around to hooking it up to my HD set (currently all the inputs are being used). But I seem to remember that you have to enable 480p in each game during bootup, or am I incorrect?
Old 02-28-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Once the cables are hooked up, you just need to put in a 480p disc and hold down the B button while booting up the game. You'll get a screen asking you if you want to enable progressive scan. After this point, you'll get that screen any time you start up a progressive scan capable game, without holding any buttons. The progressive yes/no screen defaults to yes, so if you just turn on your Gamecube it'll start up in progressive mode.
Old 02-28-05, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD
Easy question, how do you enable 480p with the Gamecube? I have the component cable, but I haven't gotten around to hooking it up to my HD set (currently all the inputs are being used). But I seem to remember that you have to enable 480p in each game during bootup, or am I incorrect?
I had this problem on my HDTV as well...I bought one of those HD switchers at Gamestop for $25. A nice fix when you run out of inputs.

GoVegan, rfduncan...thanks for the links to the lists.
I don't know why publishers don't advertise progressive scan on the boxes. I guess the platinum Cubes put an end to that.