Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Stop the pre-order madness!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop the pre-order madness!!

The pre-order push is getting old quick.

I called Gamestop on my way home from work yesterday to see if they had any copies of GT4. "Did you pre-order?", asks the employee. I told him that I had not pre-ordered and he replied that they do have it in stock, but they can't sell it to me since I didn't pre-order.

No demand for pre-orders so they create a false need to pre-order I suppose.

Fine, I'll buy it somewhere else. I was planning to go to a different Gamestop today, but the more I thought about it, the more that bugged me and I was looking for non-Gamestop options.

My wife was at the mall, so I had her pick up a copy at EB. Again, the pre-order lecture kicks in. She finally asks the guy, "Do you THINK I'm buying this for me? I'm just picking a copy up for my husband, I didn't pre-order, I don't care about the pre-order". He sells it to her, but points out that I could have gotten this a day early if I had only pre-ordered.

AAAARRRGH! I think I'm just going to buy games from Best Buy and just deal with the fact that I'll have to wait a couple of days after the release. The couple of times that I have pre-ordered a game, I'm always a bit puzzled when I pick it up and the salesperson has to navigate around the 8 foot tall towering stacks of the game that apparently had to be pre-ordered to be obtained. Halo 2: I'm in line to pick up my pre-order and the guy in front of me asks for Halo 2. "Did you pre-order?" to which the guy replies "No". The salesperson shrugs and grabs a copy off the big stack and sells it to him.
Old 02-23-05, 12:46 PM
RVP

I don't understand why stores rely on preorders when decided how much stock to buy, if they know that a marority of people don't preord. It would seem simpler to change the stores actions rather than try to change the behavior of all of the customers. Makes no sense.

I have read on some other sites that some stores in NYC are taking preorders for Xbox 2 and Halo 2.5. I don't understand why anyone would want to preorder something that isn't yet developed, and a game that isn't even confirmed. Why would MS let them do this? Won't people be angry if they preorder this Halo 2.5 to find out that there may be no such thing ever?
Old 02-23-05, 01:00 PM

It is really becoming annoying. Everytime I buy a game EB tries to sell me on a preorder. I have never not been able to find a game. Even Halo 2 and GTA were obtained easily enough. I just don't get why the big push.

While we're on annoying subjects- how about the extended warranty for games? I just picked RE4 and the salesperson was REALLY pushing the warranty. What do they think I'm going to do to the game? I'm not some teething toddler.

When I worked at Borders back in college they always made us push some garbage which is why I don't get mad at the sales clerk. They're just doing their job. They usually don't like doing it as well.

But back to the subject- why can't I just buy something without an offer for a free subscription, warranty or some other do-dad? And why do they want my phone number?

Pardon me, I think I'll go live in the mountains somewhere remote.
Old 02-23-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by remjim
And why do they want my phone number?
Agreed. I dont understand this either. I dont mind if they ask for my zip code, cause they sometimes like to track sales activity for the areas. But, I think I am going to stop giving my phone number out. Who knows what they use it for.

Better yet, find out the phone number of that store, keep it in your wallet and when they ask for your number, give them theirs. The store clerk probably wont even notice.
Old 02-23-05, 01:47 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I just go to Best Buy or Target etc for games now. I hate gamestores, preorder crap, geeks working there, geeks shopping there, little brats running around etc. I feel like my IQ takes a hit just setting foot in one.
Old 02-23-05, 01:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I (foolishly) failed to pre-order World of Warcraft. Luckily, I was able to secure a copy on launch day after driving around a bit. Since then, I haven't seen one copy on store shelves.
Old 02-23-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Well, considering BB, CC, Target, and Fry's usually have popular new games for 5-15 dollars off the first week (or some incentive like a free strategy guide), why wouldn't most people wait and see, at least for the popular games that you know are going to sell tons? For the more obscure games that you're not sure that the big stores are going to stock, EB and the like seem like safer choices (but I've very rarely seen a game that Fry's does not have).

Forgot to mention: oooo, a day earlier! I bet your wife was kicking herself for not preordering after hearing that...
Old 02-23-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I (foolishly) failed to pre-order World of Warcraft. Luckily, I was able to secure a copy on launch day after driving around a bit. Since then, I haven't seen one copy on store shelves.
That's a little different, though. Aren't they trying to purposefully limit copies so as not to overload the servers?
Old 02-23-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Just get it at Best Buy or Circuit City,you can get it cheaper there anyways.Waiting a few extra days shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 02-23-05, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Lets say GT4 comes out next week. No one has pre-ordered at Gamestop. How many copies do you think they would get? 10. Even if its a HUGE game, and they DON'T get any pre-orders, they figure that store does not have the 'customers' to buy that game. Meaning, there are no race fans there. Now lets say that gamestop does 100 orders. They will probaly get atleast 150 copies in. Thats 50 more copies to sell.

I can't beleive some of you whine so much about them bugging you. Pre-ordering guarantees you a copy (if done correctly), sometimes a day early, and most of the time with a bonus item. Good luck trying to find a PSP come March 24th.
Old 02-23-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Agreed. I dont understand this either. I dont mind if they ask for my zip code, cause they sometimes like to track sales activity for the areas. But, I think I am going to stop giving my phone number out. Who knows what they use it for.

Better yet, find out the phone number of that store, keep it in your wallet and when they ask for your number, give them theirs. The store clerk probably wont even notice.
Preach Brother. I have been giving Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond their own number for the past 2 years. I had some dip wad at Radio Crap ask me for my phone number when I ran in to buy some batteries. WTF!?
Old 02-23-05, 02:30 PM
Suspended

I always give 867-5309...JENNY! Most of the people that work at game places have no clue.
Old 02-23-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never had the balls to do it myself, but one time a guy in front of me in line at Best Buy told them "555-1212 - that's the number for information, if you really need to call me, I'm in the phone directory."
Old 02-23-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I have preordered one game that I can recall, I had trade credit, and it wasn't likely to be a 'big hit.'
Unless you HAVE to have the game on release day, or you get a cool freebie, or it's a special situation like limiting releases to manage server space, or it's just some odd fluke such as occasionally happens, I'm not a big fan of preordering. Sure the stores use it to judge some interest in the game, but are they not accounting for walk-ins? If I decide on Wed to buy Hot New Game that came out on Tuesday, and they have some in stock [that aren't reserved for other people], they won't sell it to me? They only order enough to handle preorders? If 250 people preorder a game from one store, they don't say, Hey, this game is big, let's order 5, or 10, or 25 extra to stick on the shelf? That doesn't seem like a very good way to run business.
And don't forget, there's always the internet, plenty of etailers to choose from. And, yes, I usually prefer to wait a little bit closer to release date in order to do some comparison shopping.
Consoles are a little different, because those are usually more limited in stock and they do go quickly.
Old 02-23-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Lets say GT4 comes out next week. No one has pre-ordered at Gamestop. How many copies do you think they would get? 10. Even if its a HUGE game, and they DON'T get any pre-orders, they figure that store does not have the 'customers' to buy that game. Meaning, there are no race fans there. Now lets say that gamestop does 100 orders. They will probaly get atleast 150 copies in. Thats 50 more copies to sell.
<marquee>Bull Shit!</marquee>

Best Buy doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Circuit City doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Fry's doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Target doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Wal*Mart doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy.
Old 02-23-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
<marquee>Bull Shit!</marquee>

Best Buy doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Circuit City doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Fry's doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Target doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy. Wal*Mart doesn't need to take pre-orders to determine how much stock to buy.

To be fair, the videogame-specific stores we are talking about are much, much smaller than BB, CC, etc., and usually don't get the same volume discount as BB or can't keep that much excess stock on hand. So I can see them running out of a "hot" game, or not selling copies to customers that didn't preorder if they haven't fulfilled preorders yet. I still see no need to preorder most big games if I can just walk into a bigger store and buy it without putting money down, usually at a discount.
Old 02-23-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
To be fair, the videogame-specific stores we are talking about are much, much smaller than BB, CC, etc., and usually don't get the same volume discount as BB or can't keep that much excess stock on hand. So I can see them running out of a "hot" game, or not selling copies to customers that didn't preorder if they haven't fulfilled preorders yet. I still see no need to preorder most big games if I can just walk into a bigger store and buy it without putting money down, usually at a discount.
Ha!! I see as many Gamedumps as I do Starbucks these days. I have serious doubts that Best Buy gets any more of a volume discount than they do. Their pre-order system is only there to trick stupid people into a) thinking that pre-ordering is the only way to obtain a copy of a game, b) getting people to spend MSRP or more, c) pigeon-holing people into a sale by securing an unnecessary deposit and d) excessively, violently, insultingly harassing them to purchase further unnecessary, over-priced, useless shit like strategy guides or 3rd party garbage accessories.
Old 02-23-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

pre-orders create a sense of hype, and a guaranteed sale
Old 02-23-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like pre-ordering. I get my copy of the game ASAP. I was going to buy it anyway, and this way I don't have to worry about it, drive around, etc. I get the game ASAP at the store closest to my home. It's a win-win situation. If the game is on sale somewhere, you just go back to the place you pre-ordered, ask for your money back, and go buy it there.

If you don't like it, go to Target or Wal-Mart or whatever. Just don't expect to get it on release day.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Just tell the cashier no thanks when they ask. At best buy, as soon as I put my stuff down, I say "no magazines, no phone number." That pretty much takes care of it.
Old 02-23-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Daryl
I never had the balls to do it myself, but one time a guy in front of me in line at Best Buy told them "555-1212 - that's the number for information, if you really need to call me, I'm in the phone directory."
Awesome! I will have to use that!
Old 02-23-05, 04:08 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by DamingR
If you don't like it, go to Target or Wal-Mart or whatever. Just don't expect to get it on release day.
That's what pretty much everyone that said they hate games stores said or implied they do.

I couldn't care less about getting a game on release date. Hell, I buy 75% of my games 6 months or more after release when they hit under $20.
Old 02-23-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pre-oredering is a good thing but not selling a game that they have in stock because you didnt pre-oreder is complete bull,only reason why I pre-oreder is because I buy most my games online and sometime's I will pre-order a game just so I know I cant touch that money,otherwise I will blow it then not being able to afford it a week or 2 later,I also like pre-ordering certain games like GTA:SA,GT4,Halo 2 etc.
Old 02-23-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only pre-order a game if there is a freebie or a special possibly limited edition. Now i was almost positive they would have enough copies of the Halo 2 collectors edition, however on the off chance they would really be limited i pre-ordered. I also pre-ordered Jade Empire because the "limited" collectors edition will have an extra character and extra fighting style in it. I fully expect the store to only have this limited edition, but i know i would kick myself if they ran out and i ended up not getting the extras.

I'll also pre-order if it is a smaller niche title. Originally i had had Puyo Pop Fever pre-ordered for the xbox before it became an GC exclusive.... i didn't think they'd get many copies of it in otherwise.
Old 02-23-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I needed games on release day when I was 12, not so much any more. I remember giving my mom the blues to go to the mall to get NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat 2 on release days .

Now I'm pretty much like Mr. Hinkle in that I wait for games to drop in price before I buy them(sub $30 or better...usually less than $20). It's rare that I need to have a game during its release month, let alone pre-order it. I pre-ordered Zelda Wind Waker for the promo disc. That was a great incentive. Sometimes I see them offer t-shirts and stuff which is cool. But more times than not its just $5 to pre-order something.

Games don't have to be massive hits anymore to find them though since it's always easier to buy something online than drive all around town looking for it. I don't get snippy with the sales person for pushing all that extra bullish on me unless they are relentless. Like girls learn in high school, no means no. Actually I'm getting tired of all the q&a sessions I'm having to go through when I'm checking out at various stores now-a-days, but thats another thread all together.
Old 02-23-05, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Ha!! I see as many Gamedumps as I do Starbucks these days. I have serious doubts that Best Buy gets any more of a volume discount than they do. Their pre-order system is only there to trick stupid people into a) thinking that pre-ordering is the only way to obtain a copy of a game, b) getting people to spend MSRP or more, c) pigeon-holing people into a sale by securing an unnecessary deposit and d) excessively, violently, insultingly harassing them to purchase further unnecessary, over-priced, useless shit like strategy guides or 3rd party garbage accessories.
All of those are true.

But I think the preorder numbers DO help them figure out how many to order. Compared to a small mall-based EB or Gamestop, each Best Buy probably has a cavern of inventory space in the back.

It's just not as practical to risk loading themselves down in each game, especially when the breadth of titles they have in stock is far greater than a Best Buy. (For example, try finding an Xbox Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics at any Best Buy worldwide.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.