Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone who has gotten GT4 please post your opinions...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone who has gotten GT4 please post your opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get a look at the 1080i goodness, play the paris track when its wet...amazing for a PS2 game.
Old 02-24-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 19K
Do they re-release games with "fixed" bugs anyway? Wasn't there a major bug in GT2 where you could never complete the game 100%? I don't remember if they ever fixed that.
Yes they do on occasion. Usually its done very quietly and the bugs are usually minor. There have been times when things were fixed on say the Greatest Hits rerelease.

Vice City comes to mind and I don't mean the editing out offensive stuff. The first GH release fixed bugs in the original version and still had all the offensive dialog intact.
Old 02-24-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why I have this much patience for a video game when I have so little for others. I'm one of those wussies who cringes when the review says "if you're looking for a challenge, this is the game for you!" I usually get bored/frustrated and move on to something else.

I decided that I was going to TRY to get golds on the B licenses at least. I got my A and B license from my GT3 save, but I figured I need the practice. I'm currently on B5, the first test where you follow a pace car around to learn the best lines for a track. Damn these things are frustrating and I'm only on the B licenses! I probably did B4 25 times before I got a gold. I have to admit though, when I did get a gold for the previous tests, it's a great feeling of accomplishment. Makes me wonder if you guys who love challenging games are actually on to something.
Old 02-24-05, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Yes, it does 1080i, and damn, does it look nice!
I don't mean to hijack this thread (I just wandered in here)... but how do you achieve 1080i or 480p? I just recently got my HDTV and didn't even realize I could display the picture in these modes. I have an S-video cable. I saw a mention of a component cable somewhere in this thread but I didn't think that component cables existed for PS2. I'm still trying to find some for my GC.

I just might have to pick up GT4 and the new Logitech wheel. Looks like a good combo.
Old 02-24-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit
I have to admit though, when I did get a gold for the previous tests, it's a great feeling of accomplishment. Makes me wonder if you guys who love challenging games are actually on to something.
I loved that feeling when I'd get golds on the license tests in GT3. I ran through the B-License last night, but got mostly bronze and a few silvers. I only had about an hour to play, so I just did as much as possible. I'm also so out of practice that I think I'd get really frustrated trying to get gold at this point. I'll definately go back to my licenses in a week or two after I'm back in the groove and go for those golds.
Old 02-24-05, 08:06 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Jray
I'm still trying to find some for my GC.
Order them online from www.nintendo.com, just find the store section. Their cable isn't in stores.

The only ones I've ever seen for the GC are the Monster cable ones which are ridiculously overpriced.
Old 02-24-05, 08:20 AM

How do you use your GT3 save to get the B & A Licenses. I only played for an hour or so last night and didn't see it so I went ahead and started getting the B License. I'd love to be able to skip these sections and come back to them at a later point. Right now...I want to start racing.
Old 02-24-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
How do you use your GT3 save to get the B & A Licenses. I only played for an hour or so last night and didn't see it so I went ahead and started getting the B License. I'd love to be able to skip these sections and come back to them at a later point. Right now...I want to start racing.
Start in your garage. There's an option there to import GT3 data.
Old 02-24-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I loved that feeling when I'd get golds on the license tests in GT3. I ran through the B-License last night, but got mostly bronze and a few silvers. I only had about an hour to play, so I just did as much as possible. I'm also so out of practice that I think I'd get really frustrated trying to get gold at this point. I'll definately go back to my licenses in a week or two after I'm back in the groove and go for those golds.
I figured you guys would be posting that you breezed through golds on the B licenses in about 30 minutes.

I think I'll take your approach of getting at least bronzes and come back to try for golds later.
Old 02-24-05, 09:08 AM

Thanks!! BTW...the license tests are hard...especially when you've been playing Splinter Cell, Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 for the last few months.
Old 02-24-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Monster makes component cables for the PS2. When using these cables, you will need to use an optical cable for audio.
Old 02-24-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a component cable from the store in the mall, maybe EB games. It was $9.99 and has the 3 component cables, plus the left/right for audio if you are not using the optical out. I had to look for it myself, because nobody knoew what I was talking about. With the money I saved from not buying monster, I was able to practically purchase another game.
Old 02-24-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jon-w9
I bought a component cable from the store in the mall, maybe EB games. It was $9.99 and has the 3 component cables, plus the left/right for audio if you are not using the optical out. I had to look for it myself, because nobody knoew what I was talking about. With the money I saved from not buying monster, I was able to practically purchase another game.
I also grabbed a $9.99 component cable from Best Buy (Mad Katz brand) and it seems to work fine. It does PS2 and X-Box, but unfortunately, the way the cable is set up, there's not enough extra cable between the PS2 and X-Box outputs, so I can't have both hooked up at the same time. I hardly ever play my X-Box anyways, so I guess it's not a big deal.
Old 02-24-05, 12:02 PM

So here is my issue with the switching from 1080i to 480i in the menus. My TV only has one HD input and when it switches I can't see it. I have to manually move the input to another non HD component channel. Should my TV switch when it see's that something is not coming in at 1080i to 480i?
Old 02-24-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if your TV should switch, but mine does automatically. I see a little flicker in between the menus so I know it is switching. My Sony is input 6 and the component cables are plugged in there.

So if you play another game, you have to switch the PS2 to another input, because the one you are using it only for 1080i?
Old 02-24-05, 12:43 PM

It really seems odd that my TV does not switch on it's own. Looking throught the manual it does say that AV4 is for 1080i or 480p and AV2 is for 480i.

I have always had the PS2 hooked up to AV2 this is the first game I have played that was capable of HD.

Oh well.
Old 02-24-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More detail for importing GT3 data: 'Home' then 'Status'.
Old 02-24-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slipple
It really seems odd that my TV does not switch on it's own. Looking throught the manual it does say that AV4 is for 1080i or 480p and AV2 is for 480i.

I have always had the PS2 hooked up to AV2 this is the first game I have played that was capable of HD.

Oh well.
You might wanna look through your TV's menus. My Sony has a setting where it'll always be HD, or you can set it to auto so that it only does the higher res. when it receives that signal. Don't know if yours is the same setup, but might wanna give it a look.
Old 02-24-05, 03:44 PM

Ok guys, I need a little help here. This is my first time really playing a Gran Turismo game, or really any racing game for that matter. I'm wondering, what exactly is your strategy for progressing through the game.

I know that by doing the liscense tests, it makes more races available. But right now I'm doing the beginner events, and I've done the first two series of races. Now I'm at the point though where I have barely any money because I spent it all on my car trying to make it better so that I could do better in those races. But it seems like the only way for me to do other races now is to get a new car, as the car I have isn't good enough to try the pro races. Basically, it's seeming to me that the only way to make money is to do the same races over and over.

So I guess what I'm asking is how much money do you usually sink into a car before buying a new one, and is there any other effective way of making money rather than simply doing the same races repetitively.
Old 02-24-05, 03:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I just bit the bullet and bought the Logitech wheel for $106 including shipping and no tax. Can't wait!!!
Old 02-24-05, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
Basically, it's seeming to me that the only way to make money is to do the same races over and over.
That's my only real issue with the gameplay. Every GT racer has, at some point, raced the same event over and over again just to gain money. They should either increase the prize amount or allow you other ways to earn cash.
Old 02-24-05, 04:32 PM

I have the import version, and enjoyed playing until I got some really good prize cars too easily. Afterwards I found the races were more just me driving around the track unopposed. I know I could get around this by just playing a worse car, but I just couldn't get into handicapping myself like that...

For those of you interested, I bought a used Skyline, upgraded the engine and turbo, and entered the easy Special Conditions races. In the first couple races you can win the Cadillac Cien (700+ hp) and a Toyota rally car. Between these two cars you'll have little to no competition for a fair while...
Old 02-24-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vhgong
I just bit the bullet and bought the Logitech wheel for $106 including shipping and no tax. Can't wait!!!
I just went out and bought one today too.

I thought it might make the game a little easier. The regular controller seems much more difficult to use in this game than in the previous ones. Maybe I'm just rusty. The wheel takes some getting used to, but it's a blast to use, especially on the rally courses. It shakes like crazy and it really feels like work trying to keep the car straight. I actually broke out in a sweat. (I'm still not sure if overall it makes the game any easier though).

Word of Caution on the Logitech Driving Force Pro... when I went in to EB to buy mine, the guy working there asked if I was going to use it for Gran Turismo. He didn't want to sell it to me because every single one he has sold in the past couple days has been returned (and he showed me by pointing out all the returned boxes behind him). Apparently none of them were working with GT4. Seems kind of odd because I thought GT4 was pretty much designed for that specifc wheel and vice versa. He said many of his customers had called Sony AND Logitech to find out what was up. He said the only PS2 that wasn't having any problems with the Logitech wheels were the original launch PS2's. Lucky for me that's what mine is, so I told him I would take my chances and he ended up selling me one. And it works great.

Has anyone else heard of this or having similar problems? I really don't think the guy was full of shit... and I did see all the returned boxes (he actually wanted to sell me one of those because he was afraid I'd return mine too and he didn't want to have another open box, but I insisted on a new one).
Old 02-24-05, 06:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by 19K

Word of Caution on the Logitech Driving Force Pro... when I went in to EB to buy mine, the guy working there asked if I was going to use it for Gran Turismo. He didn't want to sell it to me because every single one he has sold in the past couple days has been returned (and he showed me by pointing out all the returned boxes behind him). Apparently none of them were working with GT4. Seems kind of odd because I thought GT4 was pretty much designed for that specifc wheel and vice versa. He said many of his customers had called Sony AND Logitech to find out what was up. He said the only PS2 that wasn't having any problems with the Logitech wheels were the original launch PS2's. Lucky for me that's what mine is, so I told him I would take my chances and he ended up selling me one. And it works great.

Has anyone else heard of this or having similar problems? I really don't think the guy was full of shit... and I did see all the returned boxes (he actually wanted to sell me one of those because he was afraid I'd return mine too and he didn't want to have another open box, but I insisted on a new one).
What do you mean original launch Ps2? The ones with the Hardrive Bay?
Old 02-24-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 19K

I thought it might make the game a little easier. The regular controller seems much more difficult to use in this game than in the previous ones. Maybe I'm just rusty. The wheel takes some getting used to, but it's a blast to use, especially on the rally courses. It shakes like crazy and it really feels like work trying to keep the car straight. I actually broke out in a sweat. (I'm still not sure if overall it makes the game any easier though).

In my experience with GT3, the Logitech wheel made the game MUCH MUCH harder, but MUCH MUCH more fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.